Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa
Vancouver
Calgary

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Didn't Ottawa beat Vancouver in points last year? I'm not as ready to dismiss them completely from a fight for a playoff spot. They seem like a TEAM, unlike the Leafs, for example.

Edmonton should be on the top however, Leafs probably make it, but after that I don't think it's clear at all.
The sens started 2-12 and 1. They were much better than Calagary, Montreal and Vancouver from that point on. By no means are they a threat to make the playoffs or be a contender but to put them dead last compared to all these below average squads over and over again is ridiculous. Along with Winnipeg and Vancouver they are the only Canadian team that is going to be better.

Calgary is a terrible team and got even worse. They're probably in the worst position of any NHL franchise moving forward. Atleast Arizona knows they are bad and rebuilding, atleast Buffalo has some elite pieces. Calgary is in no man's land, no prospects no elite core pieces outside of Tkachuk who doesn't even want to be there. Feel bad for Flames fans honestly.

Montreal... Yikes! That team was good because they had superb leadership, high end compete and character. They replaced some elite two way talent and tons of experience with players that have questionable attitudes (not Savard but he is no Weber) and lack all the characteristics that made them good.

Weber, Perry and Danault out for Hoffman, Savard and Wideman... Oh boy. Plus a long run and a short off season. Habs are gonna have a tough season.

I like some of Edmontons additions but oh man Cody Ceci... In the top 4... For Larsson... D core gonna be a disaster.

I actually think the leafs mitigated alot of their losses. They are the only true contender maybe Winnipeg if Schmidt can regain his top pairing d form. Overall the Canadian teams are not very good.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Anyone picking Calgary ahead of Ottawa must not have watched a single game.

Lots of people who are putting Calgary ahead of Ottawa probably did watch them.

After their horrible start the Sens did play better but they were kind of playing with house money and it was a coivid year as well.

Also after that start they were kind of playing with house money as the season was lost.

Flames had a really dysfunctional year but they still have lots of talent and some young guys starting to step up as well.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Winnipeg improved the most this season and Ottawa will take a step forward.

1.) Winnipeg
2.) Edmonton
3.) Toronto
4.) Montreal
5.) Ottawa
6.) Vancouver
7.) Calgary

Reactions: libertarian

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
1.) Toronto
2.) Winnipeg
3.) Edmonton

4.) Vancouver
5.) Montreal
6.) Ottawa
7.) Calgary

There's a top 3 led by Toronto followed by a drop off. Edmonton most likely finishes the highest in the standings though considering the trash division they're in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lots of people who are putting Calgary ahead of Ottawa probably did watch them.

After their horrible start the Sens did play better but they were kind of playing with house money and it was a coivid year as well.

Also after that start they were kind of playing with house money as the season was lost.

Flames had a really dysfunctional year but they still have lots of talent and some young guys starting to step up as well.
Sure no one is saying Ottawa is good. But what I am saying is Calgary is really bad.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Winnipeg improved the most this season and Ottawa will take a step forward.

1.) Winnipeg
2.) Edmonton
3.) Toronto
4.) Montreal
5.) Ottawa
6.) Vancouver
7.) Calgary

Dillon, Nash, Poganski, Schmidt were Jets additions... in which Schmidt is the best one
that says it all

Vancouver improved the most, Oilers 2nd, Habs improved the 3nd most
Jets goaltending duo isn't good enough, nor is that D, after 5 best forwards
its a crap shoot for them

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Dillon, Nash, Poganski, Schmidt were Jets additions... in which Schmidt is the best one
that says it all

our d is good

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Anyone picking Calgary ahead of Ottawa must not have watched a single game.

No clue how CGY is getting the benefit of the doubt by so many people, despite being in a bit of a dysfunctional mess, and not improving on paper from year to year.. And Daryl Sutter does not appear to have been to solution for their coaching woes either..

And the Sens finished ahead of them last season.. if we were just going the plain obvious route...And are basically have the exact opposite kind of momentum (the kind that goes forward) heading into next season.

Its easily the Sens > Flames at this point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
that says it all

How is Montreal possibly better.

The Jets absolutely got better.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Jets now have to face Avs, seriously improved Hawks, Stars, they face also Wild, Blues and Preds.

They were 5th in the West last time (19-20) and now they face mostly wayyyyyyyyyy better teams what last season, full 82 game,
i expect them to finish dead last in their division, the teams they play against are just too good what the Jets.

Hellebuyck will get tired when its mid-season, dude can't play all 82 games you know,
he might be one of the best goalies, but no one can cheat physics and human limitations.

POMO if not the worst coach in the NHL, one of, he is a dinosaur and should have been fired many years ago.
- i'm so glad Laine got out of that shit show, wish Heinola and Niku would as well, ruining their careers there,
POMO clearly dislikes Finnish people...

POMO starts his what? 8th? 9th? season as Jets head coach.....insane....

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Jets now have to face Avs, seriously improved Hawks, Stars, they face also Wild, Blues and Preds.

They were 5th in the West last time (19-20) and now they face mostly wayyyyyyyyyy better teams what last season, full 82 game,
i expect them to finish dead last in their division, the teams they play against are just too good what the Jets.

Hellebuyck will get tired when its mid-season, dude can't play all 82 games you know,
he might be one of the best goalies, but no one can cheat physics and human limitations.

POMO if not the worst coach in the NHL, one of, he is a dinosaur and should have been fired many years ago.
- i'm so glad Laine got out of that shit show, wish Heinola and Niku would as well, ruining their careers there,

all I read here was you are upset that laine was traded, niku wasn't able to grab a spot on a terrible defense, and were not rushing heinola

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Playoff teams:
1) Toronto
2) Edmonton

Bubble (out of playoffs) teams:
3) Winnipeg
4) Vancouver
5) Ottawa

Lotto teams:
6) Calgary
7) Montréal

Reactions: bert

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How is Montreal possibly better.

The Jets absolutely got better.

We have a lot of wildcards, so understandably people are hesitant to rank us to high. Will we get Vegas Schmidt or Vancouver Schmidt? Will Morrissey return to form? Will Dubois become the top 6 C we need? Will Wheeler decline further? Will our backup goalie situation be figured out internally? Will the kids be able to step into bigger roles this year?

Lot's of question marks with the Jets heading into this season. But if we can answer a few of those early in our favour we could be dominant. Our top 6 can score even if Wheeler keeps declining. We have one of the best goalies in the world. Our defence has weathered the storm the last two years and looks much improved on paper. Bigger, more physical, more agile and most importantly more structured. The central isn't the blood bath that the Atlantic is at the top of the division but there is still 7 teams that could all make the playoffs. Arizona is the lone basement dweller there.

Reactions: libertarian

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah seems like you are just pissed that some Finns didn't make the roster and we traded Laine. Niku sucks dude. Laine is a diva and Heinola isn't ready.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

LOL!

Please, please, don't hold back.
Let it all out.
Tell us how you really feel.

LOL! Nice to see you don't hold a grudge.

Reactions: LaScheifers

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'm just more confused how Winnipeg gets a pass despite looking like shit and getting swept by the Habs.

What make you say that Winnipeg gets a pass?

They were destroyed by the Habs.
The Habs were a much better team in the POs.

Unlike a few Leaf fans that seem to always want to rehash what happened in the spring most Jets fans have moved on and are now excited with the changes at D that should (no guarantees) make the Jets a much better team this fall.

The PO's of 2021 are over and it is time to move on and get ready for next season.:)

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
No clue how CGY is getting the benefit of the doubt by so many people, despite being in a bit of a dysfunctional mess, and not improving on paper from year to year.. And Daryl Sutter does not appear to have been to solution for their coaching woes either..

And the Sens finished ahead of them last season.. if we were just going the plain obvious route...And are basically have the exact opposite kind of momentum (the kind that goes forward) heading into next season.

Its easily the Sens > Flames at this point.

The Sens did not finish ahead of the Flames though. So that's just a blatant lie. I'm not sure where this "benefit of the doubt" thing is coming from either. I see tons of people putting the Flames 6th or 7th on their lists here.

I don't understand the "not improving on paper" thing though. How do you suppose that? The Flames lost one piece anyone could consider important (Giordano) and the piece was AWFUL for half the year last year. So I don't see Zadorov as a significant dropoff, but adding an actual RW in Coleman and not playing Ritchie in our top 6? How on Earth is that not improvement?

Tkachuk having a bad year is likely to turn around. If Monahan is healthy that will improve the team (hardly a guarantee). Also important to note that the Flames as a whole were younger than all but two playoff teams from last year (only Canadian team that was younger on average was Ottawa), so it's not that crazy to expect some of the young guys to improve.

And then the Flames have a real coach this year as opposed to last year. How is he not a solution? Did you see the Flames play near the end of the year compared to the beginning?

The Flames were a bubble playoff team last year with almost everything going wrong.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm just more confused how Winnipeg gets a pass despite looking like shit and getting swept by the Habs.
I don’t think either team deserves a pass, but you’d have better luck tricking Judge Judy with falsified marriage documents than you would trying to tell me that the Leafs losing their captain and the Jets losing their 1C and 1RD didn’t affect them.

With a fully healthy Tavares, and both Scheifele and DeMelo ready to rock and/or roll this season, I surmise both Toronto and Winnipeg will be good teams again this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad