Rank the Canadian teams 2021-22

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If they were all in a division again, Toronto would definitely still be the favourite the win the regular season title. Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary and Winnipeg look better on paper. Montreal probably worse. And Ottawa was a pretty decent team after their start. I think you can rank the teams in plenty of different orders. But I'd say:

Toronto

Edmonton/Winnipeg/Calgary

Montreal/Ottawa/Vancouver

Montreal and Ottawa are lower due to the more difficult nature of the Atlantic vs. the Pacific. I could definitely see Vancouver surprising as well. Edmonton could drop if goaltending or old D sink them. Calgary's success is linked to the buy in to playing Sutter hockey and how well the young D in particular does. Winnipeg actually plays in a pretty easy division as well.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
What make you say that Winnipeg gets a pass?

They were destroyed by the Habs.
The Habs were a much better team in the POs.

Unlike a few Leaf fans that seem to always want to rehash what happened in the spring most Jets fans have moved on and are now excited with the changes at D that should (no guarantees) make the Jets a much better team this fall.

The PO's of 2021 are over and it is time to move on and get ready for next season.:)
I was just talking about the guy he quoted ranking WPG as the best "playoff team". I am intrigued to see how Schmidt does. He can be a real help to your top 4.

Reactions: libertarian

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don’t think either team deserves a pass, but you’d have better luck tricking Judge Judy with falsified marriage documents than you would trying to tell me that the Leafs losing their captain and the Jets losing their 1C and 1RD didn’t affect them.

With a fully healthy Tavares, and both Scheifele and DeMelo ready to rock and/or roll this season, I surmise both Toronto and Winnipeg will be good teams again this year.

Injuries? Really?

"Excuses are like armpits, everyone has them and they all stink."

The Habs were the better team.
They didn't beat the Leafs, Jets and Knights by fluke.

But that is yesterdays news and now it is time to look forward to the 2021/22 season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don’t think either team deserves a pass, but you’d have better luck tricking Judge Judy with falsified marriage documents than you would trying to tell me that the Leafs losing their captain and the Jets losing their 1C and 1RD didn’t affect them.

With a fully healthy Tavares, and both Scheifele and DeMelo ready to rock and/or roll this season, I surmise both Toronto and Winnipeg will be good teams again this year.
We'll see. Both teams play in good divisions so they'll need to bring it if they want to avoid a wildcard spot

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Injuries? Really?

"Excuses are like armpits, everyone has them and they all stink."

The Habs were the better team.
They didn't beat the Leafs, Jets and Knights by fluke.

But that is yesterdays news and now it is time to look forrward to the 2021/22 season.
I literally said in my post that neither team deserves a pass lol.

But the injuries certainly did affect them. Still, Montreal could’ve easily won with both teams fully healthy. They caught lightning in a bottle during the playoffs, Price looked unbeatable, and they were playing damn good hockey.

I’m saying that looking forward to 2021-22 that with Tavares back for Toronto and Scheifele and DeMelo back for Winnipeg that both teams will probably have strong seasons.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I was just talking about the guy he quoted ranking WPG as the best "playoff team". I am intrigued to see how Schmidt does. He can be a real help to your top 4.

As a Jet fan I really hope so. If Schmidt and Dillon really improve the D and PLD gets back to form it could be a really good season but that is a lot if IFs so we will see what happens.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Screw it

Cup Contending (or should be)- Oilers, Jets, Leafs
Fringe playoffs- Canucks, Flames, Habs
No playoffs- Senators

I still think the Oilers need a better goalie, the Jets lack a proper amount of defense despite adding in more defense, and the Leafs downgraded in net.

Flames are the biggest wildcard but because of how bad the pacific is, they might as well make the playoffs sadly.

Reactions: wetcoast

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As a Jet fan I really hope so. If Schmidt and Dillon really improve the D and PLD gets back to form it could be a really good season but that is a lot if IFs so we will see what happens.

I'd add in our backup goaltending as well. There is some renewed hope in Jet land but it rest on a few players getting back to how they played before and a few new guys bringing solid depth.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Screw it

Cup Contending (or should be)- Oilers, Jets, Leafs
Fringe playoffs- Canucks, Flames, Habs
No playoffs- Senators

I still think the Oilers need a better goalie, the Jets lack a proper amount of defense despite adding in more defense, and the Leafs downgraded in net.

Flames are the biggest wildcard but because of how bad the pacific is, they might as well make the playoffs sadly.

I don't think any of us are true contenders. I always measure contenders by who are the teams that can compete with the strongest team in the league over 7 games. I don't think any Canadian team can do that yet. A few need some more pieces but none of us are contenders. Cinderella runs aside.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't think any of us are true contenders. I always measure contenders by who are the teams that can compete with the strongest team in the league over 7 games. I don't think any Canadian team can do that yet. A few need some more pieces but none of us are contenders. Cinderella runs aside.
Oilers shouldn't have an excuse with Mcdavid and Drai and the less said about leafs nation the better

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oilers shouldn't have an excuse with Mcdavid and Drai and the less said about leafs nation the better

Suffice it to say no superstar has ever won a cup without a good supporting cast. Depth wins championships just as much as star power. And you usually need both to get there frequently. Oilers have a terrible D heading into this year and their goaltending is highly suspect. Leafs just don't seem to have the right chemistry to make it work yet.

Reactions: guzzy

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
1. Edmonton - Mcdavid and Drysaitl dragged that team to 2nd place last season without any forward depth help. They have a deadly PP and just added Hyman who can fetch the puck for Mcdavid.

2. Toronto - Their roster took a hit losing Hyman, but they still have 3 good regular season players who can get them to the playoffs.

3. Winnipeg - On paper they've improved their defence, and if Hellebuyck gets back to his Vezina form, they easily make the playoffs.

4. Vancouver - most improved roster, great to 9 and have the 2nd best top 6 in all the Canadian teams. Defence is a question mark.. for now, I expect a huge bounce back from Quinn and OEL is a wild card. Goaltending is solid enough to hide their defensive deficiencies.

5. Ottawa - I think they will pick up right where they left off last season, I expect them to be competitive but miss the playoffs next season.

6. Montreal - They will have a HUGE let down next season, the loss of Weber, Perry and Danault is going to hurt them. Will Price even play next season?

7. Calgary - below average bubble team last season despite being the healthiest of all the Canadian teams, I see weakness in goal (backup), defence and forward depth. I see them just missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure no one is saying Ottawa is good. But what I am saying is Calgary is really bad.

They have too many good players, I think they hit their low point last year but who knows as there are lots of questions there just like in Montreal and to a lesser extent Vancouver.

The top 3 are pretty clear for me.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
We should wait until closer to the preseason before posting in this thread. Chances are that some teams are closer than others to being ''finished'' as far as roster-building goes, and that affects our reads on the current overlook of the canadian teams quite a bit.

To begin with, I personally think there could be some degree of change to Montreal's roster between now and the preseason. As things stand the team has about 8.9M$ of LTIR space to fill out 2 roster spots if Byron is indeed out 6+ months as some reports said. That is a LOT of room to make additions and MB has reportedly been busy calling other GMs about potential trades. They could also stand pat, but the possibility to add some players is definitely there.

Then you add in the fact that Calgary still has lots of space under the cap to make some moves and could add quite a bit to their team, same for Ottawa despite Melnyk being Melnyk.

The other teams I don't see as moving a lot of guys in the coming days, but again, still lots of uncertainties there.

Basically, all of our lists are dependent on the rosters staying exactly the same from now to the season, and I don't think they will.

Anyways, my little rant finished here is how I see things as they currently stand and the current power rankings of the canadian teams for the regular season.

1 - Toronto > The team has lost some key players at the forward position but the additions of Ritchie and Bunting, as well as more frequent duties for Robertson, should lessen the blow quite a bit. The Leafs are still the class of Canada as far as roster quality goes for the regular season. All they need now is just a playoffs series win.

2 - Edmonton > They should have a more balanced attack this season though I think they gave Hyman a couple years too much. I'm still not a fan of their defense and goalie tandem but hey, improved depth scoring combined with McDrai? That's a lot of goals scored potentially, and too much to discount when you consider the fact that aside from Vegas the rest of the Pacific division is basically wide-open.

3 - Winnipeg > Schmidt/Demelo should help them carry the load defensively and they really haven't lost anyone too important so they should be good again this year. The Jets' defense should be much-improved from last year but I expect some more regression by Wheeler and I don't think they will be as good as the Oilers/Leafs for the regular season.

4 - Vancouver > I would have put Montreal at this position were it not for the fact that the Canadiens will be playing in arguably the strongest division in the entire NHL and that the Canucks should have an easier time making the playoffs in the relatively weaker Pacific division. Although Vancouver improved its depth by acquiring Garland, OEL and Dickinson, their defense is still suspect in my opinion and Demko needs to prove himself more, hence why I see the above three teams as better right now.

5 - Montreal > Pretty good Stanley Cup final run not withstanding, this defense-first team has just lost its best defender/captain in Weber to LTIRetirement and their best defensive forward in Danault to free agency. Those are no small losses, and pretty hard to bounce back from. As it is right now, the defense is merely ''okay'', Price hasn't been good/healthy in the regular season for a couple years now, and although the forward position is very deep there are still question marks there as far as consistent scoring goes. I think this team has the biggest variance of all canadian teams as far as where it could end up in the standings though I think Montreal ultimately misses the playoffs.

6 - Calgary > Coleman is a good player and a good get, but the contract is too long. Their defense without Giordano isn't great (I think it is worse than Montreal's and only marginally better than Vancouver's), their forward lines lack a bit of depth although I still like their top-end, and their goaltending is merely "good". The Flames still have a bit of money to acquire offensive depth and defensemen, but I just don't think they will be a playoff team come April 2022.

7 - Ottawa > They had a good run last year from the mid-way point of the season, when they'd basically been eliminated from the playoffs already, but I don't think that they will continue that hot streak this year. Aside from Chabot their defense is suspect at best and will need to continue being carried by very young players/rookies the way things currently stand, which isn't a recipe for success in my opinion. Then we look at the goalies and yeah, Murray hasn't been good at all for a couple seasons now. Forwards-wise there is a lot of depth/speed/grit/skill but most of their best players there are very young and I expect a bit of a sophomore slump from players like Stutzle and Norris which could hurt the Sens' chances at being a competitive team in 2021-2022. Of all the canadian teams the Sens are the only team I am confident in saying that a bottom-5 finish to the season is more likely than qualifying for the playoffs.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

And if Weber wasn’t so badly hobbled he had to basically retire and the coach had been smart enough to play Caufield from the beginning Montreal would have been better too.
The problem with injury excuses is that people only look at one side.
As for Scheifle, he made a dumb play and deserved what he got. Dumb plays decide hockey series all the time.

Reactions: I am toxic

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ottawa will improve but not much, due to the fact that they play in Atlantic, now if they played in the Metro...
- Ottawa is the team of the future however

Calgary might not be better what Ottawa, but luckily for them, they play in the Pacific

Not sure why many fans here thinks Montreal sucks for some reason, they just played from the Stanley Cup
and they have been a contender for more than a decade

- 10-11 they scored almost 100 points (98)
- 11-12 they tanked i guess? (finished last in the conference)
- 12-13 they got a 109 point pace
- 13-14 they scored 100 points
- 14-15 they scored 110 points, won their division
- 15-16 they underperformed
- 16-17 they scored 103 points, won their division
- 17-18 they underperformed
- 18-19 scored almost 100 points (98)
- 19-20 they underperformed and it was special circumstances.
- 20-21 was just a result of great hard work that has lasted for several years now

I wouldn't surprise at all if they had another deep play-offs run, actually, i expect it

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Ottawa will improve but not much, due to the fact that they play in Atlantic, now if they played in the Metro...
- Ottawa is the team of the future however

Calgary might not be better what Ottawa, but luckily for them, they play in the Pacific

Not sure why many fans here thinks Montreal sucks for some reason, they just played from the Stanley Cup
and they have been a contender for more than a decade

- 10-11 they scored almost 100 points (98)
- 11-12 they tanked i guess? (finished last in the conference)
- 12-13 they got a 109 point pace
- 13-14 they scored 100 points
- 14-15 they scored 110 points, won their division
- 15-16 they underperformed
- 16-17 they scored 103 points, won their division
- 17-18 they underperformed
- 18-19 scored almost 100 points (98)
- 19-20 they underperformed and it was special circumstances.
- 20-21 was just a result of great hard work that has lasted for several years now

I wouldn't surprise at all if they had another deep play-offs run, actually, i expect it

According to the pattern.......

.......this year they will "underperform".

I like patterns, and I think this one plays out as advertised.

Reactions: North Cole

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
1- Jets even though I still don't like their D. If PLD gets back to what he was, they'll have a terrific forward group, and the have a good goalie.

2- Montreal- doubts about the D, but KK has to improve, Caufield will be there all season, and I LOVE Suzuki. If Romanov develops then they might be ok on D.

3- Toronto- probably too low, but they will be more or less the same team that failed previously. Something is missing.

4- VAN - call me crazy, but i think they are due for a rebound. EP and Hughes are stars.

5- EDM - What's changed? No Klefbom, no Larsson, too soon for any of Broberg, Bouchard, or Holloway to make much of a difference. Smith, seriously?

6- OTT - I like their talent, but it's too soon for them. They remind me of the WPG teams of 5-6 years ago when they had all that young talent. If the can prevent implosion, I can see good things for them in 22-23.

7 - CAL Should be much better than this. I think they need a shake up. Maybe if someone like Zary comes in, and they can move Monahan. Certainly a team that is less than the sum of their parts.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
D depth is a weakness overall... but defensive speed and capability upfront appears improved in the bottom 6 and goaltending should help mitigate.

Left side D should stronger than last yr to further mitigate the right side downgrade losing Schmidt.

OUT: Edler, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Schmidt, Virtanen, Vesey, Holtby
IN: OEL, Garland, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Dowling, Schenn, Poolman, Halak

For this coming season... the Canucks made some pretty good moves pushing some people down the roster upfront. Depth there is good.

Team should be closer to 100 points than 90.
I think the people shitting on the D are a bit lazy.
For example, Quinn played the hardest and most minutes last year but if you look at his numbers with Hamonic after being a minus 23 once Hamonic returned he was only a minus one game 21-56. Now with OEL poised to eat up those tough minutes it gives Quinn easier minutes and hopefully Hamonic and him play the way they did for the most part last season.
On D obviously it's the weakest part of our team but in reality all we need is just average play from them, we have a very good group of forwards perhaps top 5 and the best Tandem in net in the division.
This will be a fun thread to bump in 6 months.

Reactions: DL44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad