Rank the Canadian teams 2021-22

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Will Smith have a Vezina worthy season again?

The Oilers did have a pretty good regular season even the season prior when Smith wasn't at Vezina tier.

But if the goaltending falters, then simply put they have to spend a 1st round pick to get another goalie. No ifs/ands/or buts, you can't spend that much money and then just sit idly by if the goaltending goes south.

The Oilers haven't traded their own 1st rounder since 2006 (ironically for a goalie), so it's time to move one out.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
I think Winnipeg and TO are clearly the two top Canadian teams. After that it's a bit of a crapshoot.

I think Calgary underachieved last season. Even if their D is a little worse, I think they should contend for a playoff spot.

Edmonton is obviously strong up front, but bad on the blueline and in net.

Vancouver is strong up front (though not as strong as EDM) but bad on the blueline. Goaltending should be solid.

Montreal is a Jekyl/Hyde team and will continue to be next year.

I think the Sens find themselves at the bottom this year.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The Jets are arguably the most improved team, by kicking two/three of their worst players off the team (Poolman, Beaulieu & Forbort) and replacing them with extremely solid defencemen, yet somehow go down in the standings? :huh:

Ottawa I can see getting meaner, they're not the bottom feeder anymore. They were legit in the back half of the season.

Vancouver, I still see the same old team.

Edmonton, too suspect on defense to make noise.

My ranking:
Winnipeg
Toronto
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The Jets are arguably the most improved team, by kicking two/three of their worst players off the team (Poolman, Beaulieu & Forbort) and replacing them with extremely solid defencemen, yet somehow go down in the standings? :huh:

Ottawa I can see getting meaner, they're not the bottom feeder anymore. They were legit in the back half of the season.

Vancouver, I still see the same old team.

Edmonton, too suspect on defense to make noise.

My ranking:
Winnipeg
Toronto
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver
Haha.

Winnipeg got destroyed in 4 by Montreal, but somehow they're 1st in the country.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers defence is even weaker than last season and now it has to hold up for 82 games. Their goaltending is nowhere near good enough to compensate for that. Toronto is clearly ahead in the regular season.

More depth overall for TOR, but worse at the top end. No acquisitions will be able to replace Hyman's impact but they've brought in more quantity to fill out the top 12 on forward.

Ritchie < Hyman
Bunting > Vesey
Kampf > Thornton
Kase > Galchenyuk

Very debatable. Larsson was better on D than anyone we added but Keith-Ceci could very well be a better 2nd pair than Lagesson/Jones/Koekkoek/whoever else-Larsson. Bouchard is likely as good as Bear or better on the bottom pair. And the offence improved tremendously with Hyman, Foegele, Ryan, etc.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Haha.

Winnipeg got destroyed in 4 by Montreal, but somehow they're 1st in the country.

Paul Maurice can't counter trap hockey, and overplays AHLers. Teams don't trap in the regular season and the AHLers are gone, replaced by players that can actually move the puck. By my count, they're the only team other than Ottawa that actually got better this off-season. Vancouver got better on paper, but I can't see that defensive right side being anything but a mess.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I think Winnipeg has surpassed Toronto this offseason with their additions on defense.
1.) Winnipeg
2.) Toronto
3.) Edmonton
4.) Vancouver
5.) Montreal
6.) Calgary
7.) Ottawa

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I have to say I am quite surprised how many poster have the Habs rated so low. I picked them 3rd in Canada after the Jets and Oilers in the 2021/22 season. I think the Habs are much better built to compete in the Atlantic then the Leafs are. I have both teams making the POs in the Atlantic but I think the Habs finish third after TB and Florida in their division.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I have to say I am quite surprised how many poster have the Habs rated so low. I picked them 3rd in Canada after the Jets and Oilers in the 2021/22 season. I think the Habs are much better built to compete in the Atlantic then the Leafs are. I have both teams making the POs in the Atlantic but I think the Habs finish third after TB and Florida in their division.
Shhh, we thrive on being overlooked.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think Edmonton got a little worse overall. Improved at forward. Took a step back on D losing Larsson and bringing in Keith. And are easily the weakest team in net. I just don’t think relying on Smith to replicate what he did last year in a short season is a smart bet at his age in an 82 game season. Now if they can trade for a good starting goalie I could see improvement.

Keith is an upgrade on Jones. Ceci is a downgrade on Larsson. Bouch has more skill than Bear so that seems to be the decider.

Edmonton was 2nd in the division two years in a row with that goaltending tandem. It's not as bad as people play it up to be. Just not ideal for the playoffs and hopefully Edmonton gets something done by the deadline.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Goaltending got worse by proxy of not doing anything
Defence got worse
Forwards got slightly better

Lmao. Someone either hates the Oilers or doesn't pay attention.

Forwards got much better.
You can't say goaltending got worse when it stays the same. That's pathetic biased garbage.
defense is a wash for now too.

Overall, a better team

Reactions: Dieseloil and ani

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Until proven otherwise, Montreal is the best team. Bar none. AINEC.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
and now Weber is out for the season, Price is coming off surgery and you lost Perry and Danault and replaced them with Hoffman and Savard? downgrade

Hmm

We've got one of the best backups in the league if need be to compensate for Price until he gets back to full fitness.

Weber is hard to replace true but he wasn't scoring anymore and Savard can cover up for some of what Weber brought physically and defensively.

Hoffman is a good fit for our regular season gimmick/pond hockey improvement. He'll score goals. Danault despite being on our supposed top line and playing at the FORWARD position couldnt do that. He was good at shutting down other guys but the Habs already play a top notch defensive team system. Defense can be taught, not offense.

Then who knows, but I foresee further strides in Goal Caufield, KK, and Suzuki, not to mention who knows what Drouin may bring if he is screwed on straight and stays.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
God Tier: Leafs, Oilers
Good Tier: Canucks, Jets
Decent Tier: Canadiens, Flames
Absolute Sh!t Tier: Sens

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Until proven otherwise, Montreal is the best team. Bar none. AINEC.

That's far from settled.

We were essentially dominated by the Leafs during the regular season, then we eked out the playoff victory. It's well known Price won us that series. It was nearly an unstoppable force (Leafs offence) vs. an immovable object (Price).

The question of which team will be better next season depends on who improves the most in other areas. Neither team has done anything hugely exciting in that regard. I expect head-to-head that the Leafs/Habs will be close games, but Leafs will continue to be the creme de la creme of the division/league. Hopefully we get a rematch in the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have Winnipeg and Vancouver as most improved. Montreal taking a step back. I’m fairly confident that Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton are the top 3 but after that it’s very close between all of them. Calgary was the hardest for me to rank as on paper I think they look better than their results. Ottawa is poised to take a big step but I don’t think it’s this year. None of them are top contenders imo.
Toronto
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Montreal
Calgary
Ottawa

Something like this but I think Edmonton could end up on top due to playing in a weaker division than Toronto or Winnipeg.

But those 3 teams stand out right now above the rest.

Big questions marks for the remaining 4 teams but the Canucks forward group should give them the edge.

Montreal and Calgary have lots of questions and we simply won't know the answer until we get closer to the season or heck not until play starts.

The Sens get better but are too young to really be better than 5th IMO.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Haha.

Every season is different no? Montreal was a flash in the pan that actually got worse.

Jets and Leafs followed by the Oilers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Surprised everyone is putting Ottawa last. Towards the end of the season their young players were really stepping up and the experience was valuable. Can only think they can be even better this year.

Toronto
Edmonton
Montreal/Winnipeg/Ottawa
Calgary
Vancouver
Anyone picking Calgary ahead of Ottawa must not have watched a single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad