Rank the Canadian teams 2021-22

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It’s not as excuse, the leafs still should have been able to close that series out even without their captain, they are a better team even without him. But they for sure would have won with him.
100% should have won that either way. As it is, they outplayed them 5/7 games. With the other 2 being game 1 and 7.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
100% should have won that either way. As it is, they outplayed them 5/7 games. With the other 2 being game 1 and 7.
Habs definitely outplayed them in game one when they didn’t even know if their captain was gonna make it through the night

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Totally. You guys get to improve. And that’s a sure thing. Not anyone else though. It’s not possible at all that those players have all hit their ceilings already. And are fringe players. Never seen that happen.

I hope you can see how stupidly biased that is. If not this is a pointless discussion.

We got worse as Gio aged out of his Norris quality of play. You don't replace that. If we lose Gaudreau or Tkachuk due to cap concerns, again, we will get worse.

If you want to hand wave losing good players off as unimportant and that prospects will fill their roles and you will actually improve. Go for it, you can believe it, I just am not going to agree with you.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Winnipeg, Edmonton Toronto- too close to call IMO...Oilers have the benefit of playing in a weaker division
Vancouver- should be a playoff team so long as Demko is legit
Calgary- mediocre as always...playoff bubble but could make it due to division
Montreal- tough tough division... yes they got hot in the playoffs but they weren't very good in the regular season
Ottawa- someone had to be last

Do you know why we were good in the playoffs and bad in the regular season?

I'll give you a hint...our 2 most important players were injured

Reactions: Subban signed e5

The90

Feb 27, 2017
We got worse as Gio aged out of his Norris quality of play. You don't replace that. If we lose Gaudreau or Tkachuk due to cap concerns, again, we will get worse.

If you want to hand wave losing good players off as unimportant and that prospects will fill their roles and you will actually improve. Go for it, you can believe it, I just am not going to agree with you.
That’s not at all what I did. You’re claiming the flames will be better for the same reason the leafs won’t lol. You can’t have it both ways. Or maybe you can, but only in your head does that make sense.

Reactions: bert

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Do you know why we were good in the playoffs and bad in the regular season?

I'll give you a hint...our 2 most important players were injured
Also, because Carey price carried your team to playoff wins in the playoffs, but not the regular season.

Reactions: flying v 604

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
no way vancouver reaches 97-102 with those rhd

D depth is a weakness overall... but defensive speed and capability upfront appears improved in the bottom 6 and goaltending should help mitigate.

Left side D should stronger than last yr to further mitigate the right side downgrade losing Schmidt.

OUT: Edler, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Schmidt, Virtanen, Vesey, Holtby
IN: OEL, Garland, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Dowling, Schenn, Poolman, Halak

For this coming season... the Canucks made some pretty good moves pushing some people down the roster upfront. Depth there is good.

Team should be closer to 100 points than 90.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Will Smith have a Vezina worthy season again?
Yeah, thats iffy..even more iffy with Koskinen in the mix.
giphy.gif

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
That’s not at all what I did. You’re claiming the flames will be better for the same reason the leafs won’t lol. You can’t have it both ways. Or maybe you can, but only in your head does that make sense.

We didn't lose Hyman and probably Rielly. Like do you not see the difference?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s not as excuse, the leafs still should have been able to close that series out even without their captain, they are a better team even without him. But they for sure would have won with him.
It is an excuse.
The Habs captain was so hobbled that he needed to retire after the playoffs.
Maybe Montreal defeats the Leafs in even fewer games with a healthy Weber. Maybe it’s a shorter series if the Montreal coach starts Caufield instead of inexplicably benching him the first few games. We will never know.
All we know is that the Leafs had a 3-1 lead without Tavares and lost. And they had a healthy Tavares the year before against Columbus and still lost. So no guarantees that they beat Montreal even if both teams were healthy.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
We didn't lose Hyman and probably Rielly. Like do you not see the difference?
Totally. Sandin and liljegren are becoming the right age to peak so no sweat losing Rielly. Like my argument? Sound reasonable?

Reactions: bert

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Calgary, Ottawa, and Vancouver just aren't in the running yet, so they're at the bottom. That leaves four teams.

Montreal went farther than they should have, and haven not noticeably improved. Edmonton has gotten worse, or at best, remained neutral. Toronto hasn't gotten any worse, but have they gotten any better? I think they'll miss Zach Hyman more than they suspect. Winnipeg has, by a very wide margin, improved the most of any Canadian team. This is all assuming, of course, that people play as good (or bad) as expected, and barring catastrophic injuries, which is always the dark horse.

How this will play out when everybody's back in their old divisions is anybody's guess.

Reactions: libertarian

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Totally. Sandin and liljegren are becoming the right age to peak so no sweat losing Rielly. Like my argument? Sound reasonable?

Haha, I'm glad you've put into context how ridiculous I think your argument is.

Yes, Sandin and Liljegren will improve. That's what young defensemen do. No, I don't think they'll replace Rielly.

Reactions: The90

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It is an excuse.
The Habs captain was so hobbled that he needed to retire after the playoffs.
Maybe Montreal defeats the Leafs in even fewer games with a healthy Weber. Maybe it’s a shorter series if the Montreal coach starts Caufield instead of inexplicably benching him the first few games. We will never know.
All we know is that the Leafs had a 3-1 lead without Tavares and lost. And they had a healthy Tavares the year before against Columbus and still lost. So no guarantees that they beat Montreal even if both teams were healthy.
Lol there’s a reason why all those classless Habs fans were celebrating when Tavares went down.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Haha, I'm glad you've put into context how ridiculous I think your argument is.

Yes, Sandin and Liljegren will improve. That's what young defensemen do. No, I don't think they'll replace Rielly.
Neither do I. But the thread is about this season and rielly is on the leafs this season. Meanwhile you’re counting on your players to improve, yet saying the leafs weren’t going to. Again, you can’t have it both ways.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Neither do I. But the thread is about this season and rielly is on the leafs this season. Meanwhile you’re counting on your players to improve, yet saying the leafs weren’t going to. Again, you can’t have it both ways.

Well ya, Rielly is still on your team. This year you're fine.

Reactions: The90

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Montreal
4. Vancouver
5. Edmonton
6. Calgary
7. Ottawa

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
OFFENSEDEFENSEGOALIESTOTAL
Toronto9.0Montreal7.5Montreal9.0Montreal24.0
Edmonton8.5Winnipeg7.5Winnipeg8.5Winnipeg24.0
Winnipeg8.0Toronto7.5Vancouver8.0Toronto23.5
Calgary7.5Edmonton7.0Calgary7.5Edmonton22.5
Montreal7.5Calgary7.0Toronto7.0Calgary22.0
Vancouver7.5Vancouver6.5Edmonton7.0Vancouver22.0
Ottawa7.0Ottawa6.0Ottawa6.5Ottawa19.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's how i see it.

Reactions: Gamimenos

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I can confidently say, without much hesitation; there are zero actual contenders in Canada.
Toronto will end up with the most RS points, outside of that, dick measuring between a spread of about 12 points between the other 6 franchises.

Don't think any of them make it out of the first round of the playoffs, except if one of the Western Canadian teams gets the 2nd seed in the Pacific.

Reactions: bert and amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad