Post-Game Talk: Rangers XY @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
We almost won the presidents trophy in 2012 and that team was relatively dog **** in the playoffs.

I think your being a bit harsh in your assessment of that team. They were a good team, but the system they played in was not one that would put your team in a position to not burn itself out the deeper you go into the playoffs. Torts always shortened his bench and had his top end guys playing a ridiculous amounts of minutes riding them to a point where the fourth line and the bottom D pair hardly saw the ice. Plus, they were a grinding team that went b***s to the wall and blocked shots practically every night. In my opinion, had they played the Devils in the first round they would have won. However, they would have still burnt out later in the POs as they did.

This team has, not only more depth than 2011-12 team, but a coach that is looking to distribute ice time a lot more evenly than Torts. They are much quicker, better, and give a lot of teams fits with their speed. They have also had to overcome adversity with the amount of key players that have gone down with injuries this season. Most of them have experienced the Stanley Cup Finals and they are going into the playoffs with a starting goalie who has been well-rested (not that it was planned this way by any means).

So, IF the Rangers do win the President's Trophy, I do not see it as the kiss of death because I see this team really geared up for the PO run. You gotta remember, this team went to the Finals and lost 3 games in double overtime and had 2-goal leads in a couple of those games. To come THAT close and lose, THEN, to go through a summer of workouts, training camp, and an entire 82 game regular season and the whole time your mind is set on getting another chance at the Cup, it is amazing that this team has been able to stay as focused as it has been. When they clinched a playoff berth, it was no surprise at all that the team went into a mini-lull against teams that are fighting for their playoff lives. I see this team as chomping at the bit for the POs to start. THIS is what they've been fighting for since mid June.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
FOwKQs1.png

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Actually, they didn't, because we, you know, won the series.

I don't understand why people forget that goaltenders are part of the team. If we win a series because Hank steals a series against someone like Holtby where Wash has better possession numbers, does that make them a better team?

**** no, because we decided to allocate 8.5M per season in cap space to a player that can do exactly that.

It means their forwards and defensemen were playing better than ours, but they couldn't beat Lundqvist. This has been the narrative for the last decade. The x-factor is, and always will be, having Hank in net.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
It means their forwards and defensemen were playing better than ours, but they couldn't beat Lundqvist. This has been the narrative for the last decade. The x-factor is, and always will be, having Hank in net.

Ottawa established shooting galleries against us many times in that series. They had shifts where they were able to forecheck continuously and get all five guys changed. Hank really was the difference in that series. Anderson was good too. The Washington series wasn't a cakewalk either.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I love how Megustaelhockey had a cupcake avatar even before the whole 'cupcake schedule' thing came in to fruition.

Vickers8

Steve Zipay@stevezipay · 10 hrs10 hours ago

This "@ESPNStatsInfo: Rangers started season 7-7-4. They're 42-14-3 since, clinched Metropolitan Division title with win tonightâ€

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
I know this is not the point of your post but the whiff was caused by Moore' slight glove touch that caused the puck to change its direction by an inch. Could be the difference between winning and losing this game.
BTW I have not criticized AV at any point this season for playing Glass but in the sport where inches and milliseconds make a difference between winning a Cup or being eliminated in the first round, I can't fathom not playing a defensively responsible center in Sheppard who can win a face off if Moore is thrown out of the circle and even contribute on the offense. Even with Glass playing much better recently he was still contributed less than Sheppard, even in the toffness department.

I think that the Rangers intent in acquiring Sheppard was for the playoffs. AV said after the trade that Sheppard was one of San Jose's better forwards in the the playoffs last year. And in the playoffs where fighting is almost non-existent, face offs and defensive play are at a premium, you have to believe Sheppard will be in the lineup more often than not.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

That's all fine and good. But that doesn't make them a better team than us.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nash is five points away from his 700th. Would be really cool if he could do it this year.

and one goal away from setting a new career season high, which would be cool since he set his current season high over a decade ago in his second NHL season

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I think that the Rangers intent in acquiring Sheppard was for the playoffs. AV said after the trade that Sheppard was one of San Jose's better forwards in the the playoffs last year. And in the playoffs where fighting is almost non-existent, face offs and defensive play are at a premium, you have to believe Sheppard will be in the lineup more often than not.

AV did say that. However, I'll believe it when I see it. Shepperd should be playing every game to gain chemistry with the 4th line.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand how you keep Glass in the lineup over Shepard.

I was a little surprised, it's Sheppards old team for one, and Minny doesn't have any dirty players to worry about.

AV benched Glass late with the 1 goal lead. Don't think that would have happened with Shepp.

I look at Glass and Hunwick as the 13th and 7th guy.. No way they should be playing unless there's injuries or a good match up.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
NHL.com's brilliant power rankings once again has us sitting at 5th and calling our defense corps a "mixed bag".

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein

...mixed bag. No words.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
NHL.com's brilliant power rankings once again has us sitting at 5th and calling our defense corps a "mixed bag".

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein

...mixed bag. No words.

Well I mean I guess it can be a mixed bag in the sense that Yandle provides a lot of offense, Girardi is all about defense, when McDonagh is on his game he's an extremely good 2-way player, etc :dunno: :laugh:

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein

...mixed bag. No words.

More like STACKED. I love our blueline. Once Yandle finds his game and gets acclimated to the system, and when Klein gets healthy, our 3rd pair can play against a top 6.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Yeah they had to against this goalie whose been on a real hot streak.

He's 6'5" and technically sound. Similar to Rinne and Bishop.

I don't watch a lot of late night games and when I do it's definitely not the Oilers so I never really paid much attention to Dubnyk there. Looking at his stats now he actually had decent save% numbers most years especially considering the team he was on. Was Dubnyk actually good this whole time stuck on a bad team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland