Post-Game Talk: Rangers XY @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There are two teams on the ice. This is consistent throughout the league. In fact, I see this same thing posted on just about every team board. Every single fan out there thinks that their team sucks in the third period.

When you're winning and playing another team, that second team will also try and win (or tie). They will get more desperate at the end of the game. It's just how it is, dude.

exactly. i would take it even further. there are very few unforced errors throughout the whole of any given game. both teams are playing hard and the team that wins more battles and gets more breaks usually wins. it's impossible to have everything go your teams way. the rangers have been great getting the better of the opponent most every game. it's kind of amazing.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
We almost win the presidents trophy in 2012 and that team was relatively dog **** in the playoffs.

That team was actual dog stuff against the Devils. They had only so much they could do, and it was all done already. They were too tired out doing what they did banging and blocking.

RangersOwnNewYork*

We almost won the presidents trophy in 2012 and that team was relatively dog **** in the playoffs.

Is anything less than a Stanley cup dog ****? They lost in the ECF not in the first round.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We almost won the presidents trophy in 2012 and that team was relatively dog **** in the playoffs.

That team basically played .500 hockey from the middle of February on. This team has not played .500 hockey for the final two months of the regular season.

RangersOwnNewYork*

Come on that team was painful in the playoffs. They made everything difficult. I think that's the central point he was making.

And the central point I'm making is that teams that win 2 playoff series in any year have had a pretty good playoffs regardless of regular season standings and how many games it took to win those series. Dog **** is being swept in the first round like Tampa last year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
watching the rangers in 60... Sam said that nobody else plays more minutes in the NHL sans "reid Doughty"...

LMFAO

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Good game guys. Fun to watch to good teams go at it.

Also, hopefully Skjei turns out for you guys. It's been fun to watch him develop.

you guys have a good team... dare I say at least the 3rd round of the playoffs for you guys... I'm very impressed

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
And the central point I'm making is that teams that win 2 playoff series in any year have had a pretty good playoffs regardless of regular season standings and how many games it took to win those series. Dog **** is being swept in the first round like Tampa last year.

Actually you can make a good argument that a Presidents Trophy winning team is a disappointment going out the way they did.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@ESPNStatsInfo: Rangers started season 7-7-4. They're 42-14-3 since, clinched Metropolitan Division title with win tonight

That really is just sick.

RangersOwnNewYork*

Actually you can make a good argument that a Presidents Trophy winning team is a disappointment going out the way they did.

They didn't win the presidents trophy that year, Vancouver did, and I wish I had a dime every time a president trophy winning team didn't even make it to their conference final.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
watching the rangers in 60... Sam said that nobody else plays more minutes in the NHL sans "reid Doughty"...

LMFAO

The worst part was he called him Reed Doughty more than once. It wasn't just one trip up, it was multiple times.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just LOVE how the last shift Glass was replaced by Hagelin...

What good is a defensive 4th liner with no offensive upside if you can't play him in clutch situations? Especially when you can play the other 2 with no problem? jesus.....

Prepare to see Hagelin double shifted often

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I want Hagelin back, but at something like $2.5 million and on the 4th line. Having a 4th line be Hagelin-Moore-Big, tough gritty 4th liner would really be awesome. I just hate how damn stupid he is offensively. I mean people for whaever reason think Kreider is a stupid hockey player, yet I've seen tremendous vision and solid playmaking for a while now, I just see Hagelin's making dumb decisions. Hagelin is a single tool with a broken toolbox.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I just LOVE how the last shift Glass was replaced by Hagelin...

What good is a defensive 4th liner with no offensive upside if you can't play him in clutch situations? Especially when you can play the other 2 with no problem? jesus.....

Prepare to see Hagelin double shifted often

It's like AV knows Glass is horrible, but yet, still plays him literally every game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
i'm too lazy..but how many times this year have the Rangers lost 4 out of 7 games in any stretch? it doesnt feel like its happened all that often.

Happened twice early in the season when Stepan, McDonagh, Boyle, Girardi, etc were all out at the same time. I suspect if our 1C and 4 of the top 6 defensemen are injured, we'll get eliminated in the playoffs, but if we are more or less healthy, we'll pillage through our opposition like Genghis Khan.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Happened twice early in the season when Stepan, McDonagh, Boyle, Girardi, etc were all out at the same time. I suspect if our 1C and 4 of the top 6 defensemen are injured, we'll get eliminated in the playoffs, but if we are more or less healthy, we'll pillage through our opposition like Genghis Khan.

The second time had to be before the Jets game. Either way it doesn't matter, the playoffs are a different animal you're playing the same team for starters.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Not the same thing. That team was lacking depth and then got hit by injuries. On defense, our third pair was a disaster made up of Dizzy and John Moore. Then Staal got injured in the first playoff game and so for 11 out of 12 playoff games, we played with half of our defense being MDZ, Moore and Eminger. Our worst defenseman on his worst day is better than all 3 of them combined on their best day.

Clowe got injured too and was replaced by Kreider who downright sucked that year. He had size and speed, but his brain at the time was inferior to that of the average AHLer (though the average AHLer doesn't have Kreider's tools). He stunk up the joint in the playoffs for the same reason he stunk in the regular season that year, and was very up and down even in the AHL in 2012-13. Pyatt played every game that season, playoffs and regular season. Asham was a regular along with Dorsett on the 4th line. To have a rookie Kreider, Pyatt, Asham and Dorsett all play at the same time is not exactly a sign of depth, particularly since Pyatt was a top-9 player. Hell Newbury managed to play in 3 playoff games, Haley and Hamrlik in two.

Hagelin is presently on our third line, and the lowest scoring player on our third line. At the time, he was our top-6 player. Brad Richards got all of 1 point in the playoffs. Totally useless. This board was exploding with Brad Hate.

So yeah, on a team where half the defense are #6/7 defensemen, and 4-5 forwards should be in the AHL, yeah, that team won't do much in the playoffs. But hey, even that team made the second round.

Overall, the two teams are incomparable. The Rangers were just hot in the shortened regular season because a few players like Stepan were hot for 40 games. If that were a full 82 game season, the hot streak would've ended and we'd have been exposed. At no point that year did I have any hope of winning the Cup.

This year we added Hayes, Miller, Fast, Dominic to replace Pyatt, Asham, Dorsett and Boyle among the depth players, which is a massive improvement. Yandle and Klein on defense to replace Moore and Dizzy is an even bigger upgrade. MSL's experience and skill will be more important than Cally's intangibles. Guys like Stepan, Zuccarello, Kreider are incomparably better players today.

This year's team would've swept the one two years ago if they could've played against each other.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not the same thing. That team was lacking depth and then got hit by injuries. On defense, our third pair was a disaster made up of Dizzy and John Moore. Then Staal got injured in the first playoff game and so for 11 out of 12 playoff games, we played with half of our defense being MDZ, Moore and Eminger. Our worst defenseman on his worst day is better than all 3 of them combined on their best day.

Clowe got injured too and was replaced by Kreider who downright sucked that year. He had size and speed, but his brain at the time was inferior to that of the average AHLer (though the average AHLer doesn't have Kreider's tools). He stunk up the joint in the playoffs for the same reason he stunk in the regular season that year, and was very up and down even in the AHL in 2012-13. Pyatt played every game that season, playoffs and regular season. Asham was a regular along with Dorsett on the 4th line. To have a rookie Kreider, Pyatt, Asham and Dorsett all play at the same time is not exactly a sign of depth, particularly since Pyatt was a top-9 player. Hell Newbury managed to play in 3 playoff games, Haley and Hamrlik in two.

Hagelin is presently on our third line, and the lowest scoring player on our third line. At the time, he was our top-6 player. Brad Richards got all of 1 point in the playoffs. Totally useless. This board was exploding with Brad Hate.

So yeah, on a team where half the defense are #6/7 defensemen, and 4-5 forwards should be in the AHL, yeah, that team won't do much in the playoffs. But hey, even that team made the second round.

Overall, the two teams are incomparable. The Rangers were just hot in the shortened regular season because a few players like Stepan were hot for 40 games. If that were a full 82 game season, the hot streak would've ended and we'd have been exposed. At no point that year did I have any hope of winning the Cup.

This year we added Hayes, Miller, Fast, Dominic to replace Pyatt, Asham, Dorsett and Boyle among the depth players, which is a massive improvement. Yandle and Klein on defense to replace Moore and Dizzy is an even bigger upgrade. MSL's experience and skill will be more important than Cally's intangibles. Guys like Stepan, Zuccarello, Kreider are incomparably better players today.

This year's team would've swept the one two years ago if they could've played against each other.

Ummmm, no. John Moore came in the Gaborik trade in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad