Post-Game Talk: Rangers XY @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ummmm, no. John Moore came in the Gaborik trade in 2013.

Oops, mixed up the seasons, but that still applies since the 2013 year we had no depth, still went to the second round.

The year before, we also lacked all depth. Feds and Prust were on the third line, Mitchell and Rupp on the fourth. Our LWs were awful with the top 2 LWs being Dubi and Hags. They are ok as #2 and #3, but not as #1 and #2.

On defense, having the last pairing be Dizzy and Bickel is not exactly a Cup-level team.

Dude 2012 playoffs =/= 2013 playoffs. In what world did we almost win the Presidents' trophy in 2013?

Bad memory on my part, so I mixed things up. Either way, the point stands: when you have Dubi on the first line, Hags on the second, Feds and Prust on the third, and Mitchell, Rupp and Bickel in the lineup, you are going nowhere.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oops, mixed up the seasons, but that still applies since the 2013 year we had no depth, still went to the second round.

The year before, we also lacked all depth. Feds and Prust were on the third line, Mitchell and Rupp on the fourth. Our LWs were awful with the top 2 LWs being Dubi and Hags. They are ok as #2 and #3, but not as #1 and #2.

On defense, having the last pairing be Dizzy and Bickel is not exactly a Cup-level team.

Bad memory on my part, so I mixed things up. Either way, the point stands: when you have Dubi on the first line, Hags on the second, Feds and Prust on the third, and Mitchell, Rupp and Bickel in the lineup, you are going nowhere.

The 11-12 team is still a mystery to me. There were differences, most notably a great season Gaborik and Richards coming in, but I don't think that team was so far away from the 10-11 team to have that big of a difference in points. Also, that season with had Richards-Stepan-Boyle (I think Boyle played 3C) as our top 3 centers. Stepan was before his breakout. Compare that to Stepan (post breakout)-Brassard-Hayes.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The 11-12 team is still a mystery to me. There were differences, most notably a great season Gaborik and Richards coming in, but I don't think that team was so far away from the 10-11 team to have that big of a difference in points. Also, that season with had Richards-Stepan-Boyle (I think Boyle played 3C) as our top 3 centers. Stepan was before his breakout. Compare that to Stepan (post breakout)-Brassard-Hayes.

In September 2011, I had a major fight with a bunch of people on the main board that the Rangers will be much better. It started with a claim that the Canes are equal to the Rangers, which I objected to even though we had only 2 points more that we picked up in the last game of the season against them. In 2011, we lost a ton of games by a single goal, much more than teams normally do. As a result we were in the top-5 in GF/GA differential (only 4 behind being in the top-3) in the whole NHL, but barely made the playoffs. Adding guys like Richards and Hagelin (I knew he'll play in the NHL) would turn those losses into wins. After my argument there, I started a thread here on NYRHF predicting that the Rangers will be very good that year.

Anyway, the reason we sucked in 2010-11 is that we were incredibly inexperienced. IIRC we were something like the second or the third youngest team that year. Of our top 10 scorers that season, only Gaborik was over 26. Feds and Rosie seemed ancient - and they were only 31 years old at the time.

Adding experience, plus guys like Brad, Hags and Stralman meant the difference between barely making the playoffs with a high GF/GA differential, and being a very solid team. But we still have a ton more talent today than we did 3 years ago.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The more I watch it, the more impressive McDonagh's slap pass to Miller seems. He passed it right onto his stick, like Miller could've stood still and did nothing in that position and it'd have gone in, really nice play.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown

The 2011-12 team was not good enough to get to the goal.
They were tired and beaten in the ECF.
There is no questioning to be done about that season. They went as far as they could.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You know one thing that really pisses me off about last nights game is that in the dying seconds of the game, Staal is trying to get to a loose puck along the boards and there's enough space that it looks like he could clear it if he gets there. He's literally dragged to the ice by a Wild player and can't get to the puck. Then the Wild get that great scoring chance with like 1 second to go and possibly the only reason they don't tie it up is because Pomminvalle wiffed

Refs just watched Staal get dragged to the ice, prevented from making a play, so that the Wild could have a chance to tie the game. The reffing is just terrible in this league

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The more I watch it, the more impressive McDonagh's slap pass to Miller seems. He passed it right onto his stick, like Miller could've stood still and did nothing in that position and it'd have gone in, really nice play.

Not only Was the pass itself insanely impressive, but the way McD drew defenders in and the patience he showed was amazing.

That goal was all him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Happened twice early in the season when Stepan, McDonagh, Boyle, Girardi, etc were all out at the same time. I suspect if our 1C and 4 of the top 6 defensemen are injured, we'll get eliminated in the playoffs, but if we are more or less healthy, we'll pillage through our opposition like Genghis Khan.

Genghis Khan... Lirl. Well said beacon. I believe if we win the first round that we will absolutely demolish teams in rounds 2 & 3. My concern is round 1. I think if we are going to lose to an eastern team, it happens there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You know one thing that really pisses me off about last nights game is that in the dying seconds of the game, Staal is trying to get to a loose puck along the boards and there's enough space that it looks like he could clear it if he gets there. He's literally dragged to the ice by a Wild player and can't get to the puck. Then the Wild get that great scoring chance with like 1 second to go and possibly the only reason they don't tie it up is because Pomminvalle wiffed

Refs just watched Staal get dragged to the ice, prevented from making a play, so that the Wild could have a chance to tie the game. The reffing is just terrible in this league

I know this is not the point of your post but the whiff was caused by Moore' slight glove touch that caused the puck to change its direction by an inch. Could be the difference between winning and losing this game.
BTW I have not criticized AV at any point this season for playing Glass but in the sport where inches and milliseconds make a difference between winning a Cup or being eliminated in the first round, I can't fathom not playing a defensively responsible center in Sheppard who can win a face off if Moore is thrown out of the circle and even contribute on the offense. Even with Glass playing much better recently he was still contributed less than Sheppard, even in the toffness department.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not only Was the pass itself insanely impressive, but the way McD drew defenders in and the patience he showed was amazing.

That goal was all him.

Yeah, Mactruck was pretty solid last night, which is a trend he'll hopefully continue in the playoffs. Rick Nash also hustled his ass off last night and made some great plays.

I believe their magic number is 6 to win the president's trophy, so a record of 4-1-1 does it. Let's go Rangers!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know this is not the point of your post but the whiff was caused by Moore' slight glove touch that caused the puck to change its direction by an inch. Could be the difference between winning and losing this game.
BTW I have not criticized AV at any point this season for playing Glass but in the sport where inches and milliseconds make a difference between winning a Cup or being eliminated in the first round, I can't fathom not playing a defensively responsible center in Sheppard who can win a face off if Moore is thrown out of the circle and even contribute on the offense. Even with Glass playing much better recently he was still contributed less than Sheppard, even in the toffness department.

Besides faceoffs, Shep is also very good along the boards, which is gonna be crucial when teams forecheck us hard in the playoffs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is a straw man

no sir, this is!

Strawman.jpg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I like Sam, but he's going all Phil Rizzuto on us lately.

I was listening and I'm like "who--------who the hell is reid doughty from the west?"

Then I thought of Russel Brand naturally, then I thought of Drew Doughty, then I heard him correct himself in the 1st period. LOLOL

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
But Ottawa roflstompped us and Hank won that series by himself.

Actually, they didn't, because we, you know, won the series.

I don't understand why people forget that goaltenders are part of the team. If we win a series because Hank steals a series against someone like Holtby where Wash has better possession numbers, does that make them a better team?

**** no, because we decided to allocate 8.5M per season in cap space to a player that can do exactly that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

In the playoffs, Dubinsky played 3C. Our top 2 LWs to start the playoffs were Anisimov and Hagelin, then we added Kreider. More importantly though, Kreider, Stepan and Hagelin are the only 3 forwards left from that team.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Remember how 15 games into the season, Tampa Bay fans thought they were drafting McDavid with our pick?

Glass was benched in the last few minutes. Hags was double shifted. Why does AV continue to play him if he even knows he sucks? I don't get it. Maybe Glass doesn't get them Starbucks, he brings them all homemade coffee every day.

Last edited:

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Remember how 15 games into the season, Tampa Bay fans thought they were drafting McDavid with our pick?

Glass was benched in the past few minutes. Hags was double shifted. Why does AV continue to play him if he even knows he sucks? I don't get it. Maybe Glass doesn't get them Starbucks, he brings them all homemade coffee every day.

Tanner Glass=Worst Player in the NHL

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Glass was benched in the past few minutes. Hags was double shifted. Why does AV continue to play him if he even knows he sucks? I don't get it. Maybe Glass doesn't get them Starbucks, he brings them all homemade coffee every day.

we just have to hope AV keeps experimenting with that line... I love how Moore scores a goal when he's on the ice with Hagelin and Fast...

What a detriment Glass is, and how stupid our coach is for dressing him every night

Last edited by a moderator:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Well now you have done it, you mentioned Tanner Glass.

My stream cut out with 6 minutes left, lol. I missed the last part of the game. That first was as good a period as I have seen them play. The second you knew that Minnesota was going to come out storming, they were being dominated at home. It wasn't as bad as it could have been that's for sure. For some reason it felt like Parise was on the ice the entire 2nd.

Anyway, it was a textbook road win, not much to be disappointed about last night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well now you have done it, you mentioned Tanner Glass.

My stream cut out with 6 minutes left, lol. I missed the last part of the game. That first was as good a period as I have seen them play. The second you knew that Minnesota was going to come out storming, they were being dominated at home. It wasn't as bad as it could have been that's for sure. For some reason it felt like Parise was on the ice the entire 2nd.

Anyway, it was a textbook road win, not much to be disappointed about last night.

we are accepting it, but it doesn't change the fact that AV has to bench the guy in the dying minutes of the 3rd...

Hagelin is going to see a LOT of ice time... double overtime games are going to be such a haul

Have a feeling our 1st round opponent is going to be tough, but rounds 2 and 3 will be a cake walk

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
we are accepting it, but it doesn't change the fact that AV has to bench the guy in the dying minutes of the 3rd...

Hagelin is going to see a LOT of ice time... double overtime games are going to be such a haul

Have a feeling our 1st round opponent is going to be tough, but rounds 2 and 3 will be a cake walk

Preaching to the choir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad