Post-Game Talk: Rangers XY @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It's Masisak. He's a kings fan and a fancy stats guy. WOAT playoff possession team.

What he is saying is true, however will that matter in the playoffs? I don't know, but he's not saying anything crazy.

If he came out and said "The Rangers will not make it past the first round." I could understand ******** all over his article. I don't care for the guy either, but I don't think he's crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's Masisak. He's a kings fan and a fancy stats guy. WOAT playoff possession team.

It's a bit irrational to have the guy doing the power rankings seem to base them almost exclusively on advanced stats.

LA is a dominant team when on their game, but they're in the playoffs by 1 point. They should not be #3 ranked team, coming off however many weeks at number 1.

And the Rangers blueline is not a mixed bag. That's an expression you use to describe a team with a mediocre defense. When healthy the Rangers 3rd pair is Yandle-Klein. Give me a break.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's a bit irrational to have the guy doing the power rankings seem to base them almost exclusively on advanced stats.

LA is a dominant team when on their game, but they're in the playoffs by 1 point. They should not be #3 ranked team, coming off however many weeks at number 1.

And the Rangers blueline is not a mixed bag. That's an expression you use to describe a team with a mediocre defense. When healthy the Rangers 3rd pair is Yandle-Klein. Give me a break.

Yes. He's calling our defense mediocre and saying Yandle is a disappointment

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Some [5-on-5] attempted shot dominance by...

Brassard line (For | Against)

Zuccarello: 12 | 4
Brassard: 10 | 4
Nash: 8 | 3

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Some [5-on-5] attempted shot dominance by...

Brassard line (For | Against)

Zuccarello: 12 | 4
Brassard: 10 | 4
Nash: 8 | 3

I wasn't in love with them as a line before, but since the ASB they've been freaking electric together.

Zuccarello and Brassard have improved both their possession numbers and ES scoring, despite getting more difficult matchups, because **** logic. Those two don't have time for it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wasn't in love with them as a line before, but since the ASB they've been freaking electric together.

Zuccarello and Brassard have improved both their possession numbers and ES scoring, despite getting more difficult matchups, because **** logic. Those two don't have time for it.

Yes, I was concerned about how they both would do this season with tougher matchups and whatnot...they just got better.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
All things considered we did fine. Someone said that we can be on a 4 game losing streak after we lost to Washington. Ottawa-Boston-Washington-Winnipeg-Minnesota, I will take 3-2.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I think your being a bit harsh in your assessment of that team. They were a good team, but the system they played in was not one that would put your team in a position to not burn itself out the deeper you go into the playoffs. Torts always shortened his bench and had his top end guys playing a ridiculous amounts of minutes riding them to a point where the fourth line and the bottom D pair hardly saw the ice. Plus, they were a grinding team that went b***s to the wall and blocked shots practically every night. In my opinion, had they played the Devils in the first round they would have won. However, they would have still burnt out later in the POs as they did.

This team has, not only more depth than 2011-12 team, but a coach that is looking to distribute ice time a lot more evenly than Torts. They are much quicker, better, and give a lot of teams fits with their speed. They have also had to overcome adversity with the amount of key players that have gone down with injuries this season. Most of them have experienced the Stanley Cup Finals and they are going into the playoffs with a starting goalie who has been well-rested (not that it was planned this way by any means).

So, IF the Rangers do win the President's Trophy, I do not see it as the kiss of death because I see this team really geared up for the PO run. You gotta remember, this team went to the Finals and lost 3 games in double overtime and had 2-goal leads in a couple of those games. To come THAT close and lose, THEN, to go through a summer of workouts, training camp, and an entire 82 game regular season and the whole time your mind is set on getting another chance at the Cup, it is amazing that this team has been able to stay as focused as it has been. When they clinched a playoff berth, it was no surprise at all that the team went into a mini-lull against teams that are fighting for their playoff lives. I see this team as chomping at the bit for the POs to start. THIS is what they've been fighting for since mid June.

Very well written! Great post! :thumbu:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All things considered we did fine. Someone said that we can be on a 4 game losing streak after we lost to Washington. Ottawa-Boston-Washington-Winnipeg-Minnesota, I will take 3-2.

We put up 3 goals on a goaltender wh'os GAA for the last 35 games was 1.70. We utterly dominated Minnesota in the first and did what we had to do to win in the third period. Very happy with the win.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
So much for the repeat of 05-06 eh?

Well, that still remains to be seen. I still think we are lacking a certain killer instinct, and the 05-06 team went into the p/o's on a, what, 6 game losing streak? We can still match that. It doesn't seem likely, but the remainder of our schedule can't be taken lightly. The Devils will be looking to play spoiler and the others are teams that are desperate bubble teams, then the Jackets, who are red hot.

I'm not gonna blindly cheerlead the team. I see issues. I just hope other teams have more issues than we do at this point.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Well, that still remains to be seen. I still think we are lacking a certain killer instinct, and the 05-06 team went into the p/o's on a, what, 6 game losing streak? We can still match that. It doesn't seem likely, but the remainder of our schedule can't be taken lightly. The Devils will be looking to play spoiler and the others are teams that are desperate bubble teams, then the Jackets, who are red hot.

I'm not gonna blindly cheerlead the team. I see issues. I just hope other teams have more issues than we do at this point.
It was actually 9 games we lost in a row. Lost first place and the division in the very last game of the regular season. That sucked. Then we lost four straight to the Devils. That really sucked.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We put up 3 goals on a goaltender wh'os GAA for the last 35 games was 1.70. We utterly dominated Minnesota in the first and did what we had to do to win in the third period. Very happy with the win.

Dubnyk is exactly the type of goalie that gives us trouble too. Very happy with the win. In the last week or so we beat the 2 hottest team in the NHL.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yes, I was concerned about how they both would do this season with tougher matchups and whatnot...they just got better.

It wasn't just a slight increase either......they went from being rather sheltered to having the hardest matchups on the team. Literally, they're 2nd and 3rd respectively (Nash is 1st).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

That's not the problem. The problem this year has been that our 1st pair is McDonagh-Girardi.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
It was actually 9 games we lost in a row. Lost first place and the division in the very last game of the regular season. That sucked. Then we lost four straight to the Devils. That really sucked.

Oh I remember. I had to watch games at friends' houses who would let me come over because I was in college and had a crappy cable hookup. I bought many cases of beer for said friends as a thank you for letting me commandeer their TV, only to watch us get mud stomped by the Devils. I don't ever want to see that again. I want this team to be clicking just right and coasting into the p/o's with confidence.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

I believe that was me. I still think that this team has some issues, but one thing I'm sure of is that this is a team that knows how to respond to adversity. They were in a WC spot and their star goaltender goes down. They respond by going on an insane year and jumping into first place in the entire league. Then that five game stretch that started with Nashville at home was supposed to kill them, and they passed with flying colors. Then the extra games at the end of the year were supposed to do them in. Nope. They lost two games in a row and responded with two good games against really good and desperate teams. The Rangers can be counted out and they will respond every time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh I remember. I had to watch games at friends' houses who would let me come over because I was in college and had a crappy cable hookup. I bought many cases of beer for said friends as a thank you for letting me commandeer their TV, only to watch us get mud stomped by the Devils. I don't ever want to see that again. I want this team to be clicking just right and coasting into the p/o's with confidence.

The problem with that team was its over-reliance on two players. One was Jagr who got hurt in game one (albeit he didn't prevent a 6-1 beating) and one was Lundqvist who was a rookie and injured. Different situation. But we better win 3 of the next 5 at least. All 5 games are winnable. I don't want to see any more "Boston" type efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00