Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
how many blind drop passes did Richards do tonight that Pens Intercepted?2?3?
how about his bad grabbing the puck with his hand while on the ice and pulling it into his body penalty(that resulted in a long 5 on 3 for the Pens)?or the very 1st penalty of the game he got for the neutral zone interferance that resulted in the Pens 1st pp goal?

lets not fool ourselves,he might have scored 2 points,but he was mostly crap the entire game.Stepan wasnt much better either

Richards is still producing. Short memory on the Christensen at 1C days around here.

Dorado*

cant give up on the kid after 2 game against tough opponents

Not given up just stAting what appears to be facts . Giving up on him would be saying to trade him along with someone else for say Jamie Benn . It took Blake Wheeler a few years to put it together and I expec the same thing from CK . Another reality of NYR is they play fora coach and in a system and a style that demands high energy and high level of fitness . Both of which NYR DOnt have as a team right now due to circumstance of the lockout . Last season NYR owned second half of games and were able to play their punishing forechecking style . Over all despite adding NASH who is a terrific one on one player as a group the Rangers skill level dropped losing DUBI AND AA and inserting CK who is going to go through growing pains , which NYR fans nor coaching and GM might necessarily have the time to sit along idly watching .
If the sloppy undisciplined play continues and NYR go 1w 6 losses in January I expect NYR making a move to bring in a couple veterans sooner than later to add to the top 6 .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good god, cannot wait til this team is winning so people like you stay away from the board for awhile. All you do is come here when the Rangers lose and blame Boyle for everything. Hank lets in a bad goal? Boyle's fault, he was breathing the wrong way. Bad defensive play by Bickel? Boyle was sitting on the bench wrong and distracted Bickel. Jeez, enough with this crap.

I think because Boyle is 6'7" people expect him to have 20 hits, injure 3 people, and get in 7 fights every night, and then blow up a helicopter or something like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. And he has to score 4 goals too, because he's big and therefore unstoppable.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
And if Boyle was in fact suspended for jumping Orpk, it accomplishes two things:

1 - It gains some respect for the team
2 - It improves our lineup for the next game

Win/Win as they say.

Yeah, losing a center will definitely improve the lineup. The imaginary center that we don't have will be much better than Boyle.

NYRANGERAMI*

Very Good Point. Listen losses happen i totally understand that. However if they lost playing hard for 3 periods i would except it more. The fact that they played slow soft and disinterested is what makes me mad. Im a die hard Ranger fan but i have no problem calling them out when they dont play hard

Actually im glad they lost how they lost. If they lost like they did giving their all, then id be worried.

Rangers will be fine and were gonna win the you know what. Have no fear. The prophet has spoken.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hey, at least I'm not criticizing Boyle for not taking a run at Orpik after that hit. That's just a load of bull to me.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Look, I don't know. Maybe the problem is that we are so extremely unusual to see any kind of hits from D's that we are suprised to actually see a D hit a player? Maybe Staal, McD or Girardi should actually hit a player themselves???
We have lost two players in what two years (Sauer and Staal) that I can think of. I don't think its much to complain of. I wouldn't have minded if we saw some kind of reaction on Orpik, for sure. Especially for his extremely dirty hit on Stepan. But I definitely wouldn't guess that we are targets of big hits more than other team. I would guess that we are definitely below avg on that scale.

Plus, undoubtedly it was a extreme rookie play by Kreider. He skates up ice against two D's looking down on the puck and actually intends to pull of some kind of dipsy dodly play without an idea what's going on infront of him. Most kids makes misstakes like that a couple of times, may you be Taylor Hall or Chris Kreider, but its not like it was a dirty hit by Orpik. He stood up on a rookie that was tired and desperate. And while you can argue how suitable it was, Torts kind of had a point in the presser. So far I've heard a ton of the following on Kreider:
1. He is better in the NHL than the AHL.
2. He would score if he played with a great center.

I mean, that's not how it works. Who the heck is this kid? If you want to play on a second line in the NHL, you know what, play well on a 3rd line first. The kid is kind of caught up in trying to pin down his position and so forth, that is a "legit excuse" early in a season on a team with coaches that puts that first. But, we could definitely see more grind from Kreider too. And its about time he starts showing it now. It should show that he has played all year and is in mid-season form while the rest are still getting warm.

Staal had a beauty of a hit in the Boston game. I believe Girardi did as well.

But, in the first two games of the season here there were two nasty hits on key members of this team. On Saturday Lucic took a serious run ad Hagelin. Hit him from behind. Guy was lucky he didnt get a concussion. Actually reminded me alot of the hit from Hagelin on Alfie in the playoffs. Nothing was done other than some words on the bench. Lucic ended up getting a misconduct for whatever he said. Nothing was done. I guess, in the casse of Lucic who is going to take him on anyway? Rupp? I know what Adam Graves would have done in that scenario. At the time of this hit it was a 2-1 game. Guess timing could have played into decision to NOT stand up for Hagelin. <--But...there is a difference on this one. Something that may be harder to answer the bell to. Lucic is a top 6 player. When you have a guy that can play top 6 and impose thier will, it's not as easy to just send out a 4th liner against. Most teams don't want that matchup in a game. Top line against a 4th line.

Yesterday it happened again. This time though game was already out of hand on the scoreboard. Yes, a player would have risked suspension, and or fine or whatever. But...that was a 21 year old kid out there. A kid who this entire board voted for as the top prospect in the system. Clean hit or not, it can't happen without a teammate standing up for him.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Orpik isn't who you go after next game . Crosby and Letang are . Then after you hit them clean and hard you tell Brooks to his face its on him . He'll get the message . Just like the Original six days you'll see the other time a lot in a short time span and will have your chances . They say Gordie Howe would wait games to get to his revenge not shifts .

Torts is anti-retaliation. Hates that stuff. That's why Avery isn't on the team anymore. Torts is more of a turn the other cheek guy.

NYRANGERAMI*

Staal had a beauty of a hit in the Boston game. I believe Girardi did as well.

But, in the first two games of the season here there were two nasty hits on key members of this team. On Saturday Lucic took a serious run ad Hagelin. Hit him from behind. Guy was lucky he didnt get a concussion. Actually reminded me alot of the hit from Hagelin on Alfie in the playoffs. Nothing was done other than some words on the bench. Lucic ended up getting a misconduct for whatever he said. Nothing was done. I guess, in the casse of Lucic who is going to take him on anyway? Rupp? I know what Adam Graves would have done in that scenario. At the time of this hit it was a 2-1 game. Guess timing could have played into decision to NOT stand up for Hagelin. <--But...there is a difference on this one. Something that may be harder to answer the bell to. Lucic is a top 6 player. When you have a guy that can play top 6 and impose thier will, it's not as easy to just send out a 4th liner against. Most teams don't want that matchup in a game. Top line against a 4th line.

Yesterday it happened again. This time though game was already out of hand on the scoreboard. Yes, a player would have risked suspension, and or fine or whatever. But...that was a 21 year old kid out there. A kid who this entire board voted for as the top prospect in the system. Clean hit or not, it can't happen without a teammate standing up for him.

Come on Lion lets hop off this bench and start a good ole fashion brawl. Make sure to pummel Orpik and get some shots in on Crosby. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
BB is absolutely right. Once we're winning, half the doom and gloom posters won't even be posting anymore.

Same **** happened last year.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Same thing the Devils did in the playoffs. McD, Girardi, Staal and Del Zotto are intelligent enough to make a smart pass out/carry the puck a bit if the coach would let them. It's guys like Bickel who are dead when other teams defend like this. Del Zotto should get the Extra Effort Award by default this season because he has to play paired with Bickel.

I may sound like a broken record, but it isn't really a personnel problem. Its a coaching/system issue.

The Rangers overuse the stretch pass breakout. You got your Dmen in the zone and wings moving up WAY too far in the neutral zone.

Even if our guys get hit with passes, they typically have no momentum or any space to do anything with it.

Torts is to blame for this.

Dorado*

Torts is anti-retaliation. Hates that stuff. That's why Avery isn't on the team anymore. Torts is more of a turn the other cheek guy.

Avery isn't on te team not because of anti retaliation . Avery played an undisciplined style at times taking minors as well as bad turnovers . torts also dodnt like his cicus act attitude both on and off the ice. meanwhile Brad Richards and Henke hour two stars lives the guy . One of the reasons OTT took so much out of NYR last playoffs was because Chris Neil I posed his will on us and in all fairness in all 3 playoff series AVERY probably would have helped the NYR .
Paul Maclean as well as Dale Hunter and Deboer all owned Torts . Only reason NYR went as far and will go as far is on HENKE .WHEN HENKE is average NYR suck . When HENKE IS WHAT he is a vezina trophy winner NYR always stand a chance

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Hey, at least I'm not criticizing Boyle for not taking a run at Orpik after that hit. That's just a load of bull to me.

If that was the playoffs would you say the same thing?

If Kreider was concussed would you say the same thing?

Guess its OK to take liberties? Hey it's not like they did it in our own house or anything.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If that was the playoffs would you say the same thing?

If Kreider was concussed would you say the same thing?

Guess its OK to take liberties? Hey it's not like they did it in our own house or anything.

getting hit in a hockey game is taking liberties, it's part of the game. If they are going to stop and fight every time a good check is thrown they might as well rename the NHL as UFC as there will be the same amount of fights.

Kreider got hit, big deal, just play the damn game...

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
getting hit in a hockey game is taking liberties, it's part of the game. If they are going to stop and fight every time a good check is thrown they might as well rename the NHL as UFC as there will be the same amount of fights.

Kreider got hit, big deal, just play the damn game...

Getting run when there a minute left in a blowout on a rookie is taking liberties. Lets not sugarcoat it.

Getting run into the boards head first from behind is taking liberties.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Getting run when there a minute left in a blowout on a rookie is taking liberties. Lets not sugarcoat it.

If one of our defensemen laid that kind of hit on Crosby in the final minutes of a blowout game, the Pens would have been out for blood.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Meh, agree to disagree.

Also, we should sugarcoat everything as sugar is awesome....

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Some of my observations after the first 2 games...

-The checking and defensive zone coverage don't seem anywhere near the level it was at last year

-As much as I like Bickel he really hasn't shown anything the first 2 games. I admire his willingness to drop the gloves, but he just simply isn't capable of doing any thing else. As soon as I saw he and Del Zotto were a starting pair the first game I knew it wouldn't bode well. Time to put Eminger in

-Why do they continuously do the no-look behind the back passes??? It gets so irritating to watch it result in a turnover. I saw Gaborik do it once and Callahan/Richards both do it twice.... I was torts I would be livid.

-Two games in a row they have taken a penalty very early in the game, if I were coach and a player did it next game they wouldn't see the ice for the rest of the period.

-Second line hasn't shown anything. I haven't even noticed Gaborik or Stepan generating ANYTHING.

-I would seriously just try Halpern on the third line center over Boyle, I know he's old but Halpern always seemed to be responsible with the puck. He had just a few less assists than Boyle last year but also played 13 fewer games.... might be worth a try

-Its unfortunate that Kreider had to get hit like that, but I don't thing retaliation would have done any thing. The hit was clean and I can only hope it serves as a wake up call to Krieder that he has to pay a little bit more attention when crossing over the blue line.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I thought moderaters weren't supposed to make personal attacks on posters. Guess the rules only apply to regular posters?

In any event. I think there is plenty to debate and or discuss regarding Boyle's lack of action here.

I was wondering the same thing ! You should be allowed your say...no matter whether we win lose or draw or if it is game 1 or game 80 . It is a discussion forum .

BigMick99

Jan 19, 2013
Matawan, NJ
Everyone needs to step back from the ledge

Did you all really think that the Rangers would come out and dominate?

Have you been following this team at all in the last couple of years?

Here's the truth as I see it:

The style of play that the Rangers have embraced needs two things to work: conditioning and creativity.

Conditioning issues: Only four Rangers players took their trade overseas during the lockout. They only had 5 days together before being tossed in front of two major players in the East in back to back nights. Of course it's going to be sloppy. Of course it's going to look like they have no timing, and as a result the Rangers got their tails handed to them. One of the players that didn't play? Henrik Lundqvist. OF COURSE he won't be able to track the puck well in traffic.

Creativity: Timing and anticipation aren't there because they had no time to remind each other that they weren't going to be there for blind passes. The best showing of Rangers skill happened only in spurts and only when they kept it simple. Take a shot on net and cycle... not these blind passes.

The timing will come. The conditioning will come. The wins will come. Calm down.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada

Torts put AA out against Tanner last night . He could have put a goalscorer in that spot as he has the last say in the starting line up and he choose AA...does not sound like he was turning the cheek on that one !

BigMick99

Jan 19, 2013
Matawan, NJ
-As much as I like Bickel he really hasn't shown anything the first 2 games. I admire his willingness to drop the gloves, but he just simply isn't capable of doing any thing else. As soon as I saw he and Del Zotto were a starting pair the first game I knew it wouldn't bode well. Time to put Eminger in

The Bickel experiment needs to end. Sit him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm with Lion on this one. I was at the game live seeing this all unfold. My knee jerk reaction was that it was a headshot, but after watching replays, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still, what bothers me is how Orpik felt it was needed in a 6-3 game that his team was winning to hit a 21 year old kid high and possibly injure him seriously. Stuff like this is why I hate the Penguins. What did Boyle do though? He skated right by without doing anything.

If I was a Ranger I would be insulted by Orpik's actions. It shows no respect for his fellow players at all, and frankly, he was being a bully. Suspension, fine, or not, you have to stick up for your teammates when players on the other team take "liberties" as you guys have been calling it. Sticking up for Kreider would have sent the message to the Penguins and the league that we're not going to take their ****.

I'm waiting for the hoarde of posters saying that Kreider should have kept his head up. Look closer, he had his head up the whole way. He saw Orpik coming and started to brace for the impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad