Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

Dorado*

Well it depends. If the line has cohesion that way, he belongs there. I mean technically Brad Isbister didn't belong on the 1st line with Jagr, either, but most of the time chemistry develops between 2 guys (like with Jagr & Nylander) so the 3rd guy can be there to be a big body and help on the cycle around the boards, for instance. If Richards and Nash play well together and Pyatt scores an odd goal here and there with them, so be it.

My point exactly . Two dynamic players and PYatt to ride shotgun and do the dirty work as this is t Richards game at all . PYatt skates well enough to get to the net. The other key point is playing people in position . Having Gaborik shifts wings is foolish guy is a proven 30-40 goal a year a sniper ..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Wasn't Brad Isbister only mildly competent for a handful of games with Jagr before realizing that he still sucked and was more hindrance than help

I mean, not really the example I would have used.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wasn't Brad Isbister only mildly competent for a handful of games with Jagr before realizing that he still sucked and was more hindrance than help

He played there up until Hossa returned from injury. I thought he was solid throughout.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He played there up until Hossa returned from injury. I thought he was solid throughout.

He was solid, though I wouldn't call it the proudest moment in our franchise's history.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Guys can compliment the first line well without being first line talents.

Troy Brouwer, Pascal Dupuis, Dainus Zubrus.

All played on the 1st line on teams that won the Cup or reached the finals.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
*not* a fan of let's-change-the-momentum fighting...but that asham fight was pretty rad.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Either one could do it. Nash has played most of his career at LW. Callahan can do anything. Hell you could even move Stepan there and have Callahan center, which is like my new project, but Torts will never do it.

Cally can definitely not even take the shift on LW. Besides Hank, Cally is the last player you move. He needs that stick out toward the boards... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As someone said before, Nash is much better at creating his own offense than Gaborik so Richie returning to his side would be better. I guess one of Callahan or Nash would need to swing on to the left side.

Great point. I think both Stepan and Nash would do well with each other.

But, if BR and Nash really connects, they got a ton of potential.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I still say Orpik was wrong in throwing that hit in that situation. The game is decided, you play hard, but it serves nothing to throw a check like that with 30 seconds to go in a 3 goal game.

This is just Pejorative Slured... I'm sorry. If you're a player that thrives on throwing big hits and you see a rookie coming in on you - a prime candidate for a huge hit - in perfect position to be hit... what are you supposed to do? You take every chance you can get to weaken the other team. If you have a chance to disrupt that kid's mentality going forward throughout the season, then, you take it.

Now... here are some of my thoughts about the game after going to opening night and seeing the game live:

The Good: Rick Nash is our best player right now. That's not saying much, but he IS playing well and it's a good sign that there shouldn't be an adjustment period for him in NY. I also thought Callahan had a good game as well. That one sequence (on the PK I think?) where he blocked like three shots in a row and broke up the play was amazing. Cally is doing as the captain should and playing with heart - laying it all on the line.

The Not so Good: The rest of the team just looks SLOPPY. Never mind the stupid blind drop-passes from Richards, the team's ability to handle pucks is absolutely shot to crud right now. We've got some talented guys on our team who have decent hands and yet, they're bobbling passes left and right. Passes that are labeled for their sticks, even. Take a look at Rick Nash handling the puck on Sunday night and then look at, say, Richards or Gabby or even our defense. I don't know if this is a rhythm problem or if the players are just nervous right now... but I'm hoping that they'll get their "touch" back asap. Something that is kind of related to this: I was watching Gaborik in warm-ups and it seemed as if his wrist/snap-shot was totally gone. That deadly, quick-release shot that we all know and love was nowhere to be found.. I believe he flubbed a shot during the game as well that he should've gotten on net. Idk if this is because of his shoulder or what but I'm hoping it's just nerves.

And then we have the system problems... blown coverage... a terrible break-out (unless we give it Nash apparently... who can handle the puck and make a play). Whoever said that we rely on the long pass too much is correct. We need to focus more on short, quick-pass breakouts. Something like the Kings did in last year's playoffs. It's too easy for defensemen to pinch in and cut off our weak clearing attempts along the boards. This is a big problem that was apparent at the end of last year and unfortunately it's still here.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012

The point was to point out that a line doesn't have to have 3 of your bets players on it to be successful. Look at some of the really goog working lines in the league and it's most of the time 2 guys really clicking well with each other (normally the C and the wing) and the other wing is really not at their talent level, but he's there to make space, to score the odd goal, to give the "superstar duo" the puck etc.

btw, Levitate, I know you from the old, old, old Rangers board ca. 2001-2002 :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad