Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
For people saying that the hit on Kreider was taking liberties, I'm just curious to what youre reaction would be of the roles were reversed. What if a Ranger defenseman hit a young player with a clean hit in a game against a divisional rival? Would you say "Girardi, you shouldn't take liberties with a rival like that"

I'm just curious

Kershaw

I'm with Lion on this one. I was at the game live seeing this all unfold. My knee jerk reaction was that it was a headshot, but after watching replays, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still, what bothers me is how Orpik felt it was needed in a 6-3 game that his team was winning to hit a 21 year old kid high and possibly injure him seriously. Stuff like this is why I hate the Penguins. What did Boyle do though? He skated right by without doing anything.

If I was a Ranger I would be insulted by Orpik's actions. It shows no respect for his fellow players at all, and frankly, he was being a bully. Suspension, fine, or not, you have to stick up for your teammates when players on the other team take "liberties" as you guys have been calling it. Sticking up for Kreider would have sent the message to the Penguins and the league that we're not going to take their ****.

I'm waiting for the hoarde of posters saying that Kreider should have kept his head up. Look closer, he had his head up the whole way. He saw Orpik coming and started to brace for the impact.

Orpik is simply playing his game. He's physical and shouldn't let up because he feels sorry for the other team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'm with Lion on this one. I was at the game live seeing this all unfold. My knee jerk reaction was that it was a headshot, but after watching replays, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still, what bothers me is how Orpik felt it was needed in a 6-3 game that his team was winning to hit a 21 year old kid high and possibly injure him seriously. Stuff like this is why I hate the Penguins. What did Boyle do though? He skated right by without doing anything.

If I was a Ranger I would be insulted by Orpik's actions. It shows no respect for his fellow players at all, and frankly, he was being a bully. Suspension, fine, or not, you have to stick up for your teammates when players on the other team take "liberties" as you guys have been calling it. Sticking up for Kreider would have sent the message to the Penguins and the league that we're not going to take their ****.

I'm waiting for the hoarde of posters saying that Kreider should have kept his head up. Look closer, he had his head up the whole way. He saw Orpik coming and started to brace for the impact.

You'd be the first one cheering if it happened to the opposition and it was a Ranger doing it. There would be threads about it. This is the ultimate in hypocritical reactions.

Oh dear, big bad Brooks nailed our guy within the parameters of a 60 minute game!

The opening faceoff hasnt meant much to the Rangers these first 2 games, why would the ending horn?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Getting run when there a minute left in a blowout on a rookie is taking liberties. Lets not sugarcoat it.

Getting run into the boards head first from behind is taking liberties.

Agreed. There are times when you have to remain cool (del Zotto and Cooke) and times when you have to stand up for your team.

And no I would not be cheering if a Ranger did that. Not with a minute to go in a 6-3 game. It shows a base lack of respect.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You'd be the first one cheering if it happened to the opposition and it was a Ranger doing it. There would be threads about it. This is the ultimate in hypocritical reactions.

Oh dear, big bad Brooks nailed our guy within the parameters of a 60 minute game!

The opening faceoff hasnt meant much to the Rangers these first 2 games, why would the ending horn?

I have no problem with the hit itself actually. After watching replays, as I mentioned, it was a clean hit.

What I do have a problem with is how the team did nothing to stick up for Kreider. You damn well know that if the roles were reversed, Matt Cooke would've come off the bench and jumped whoever hit his guy.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I still say Orpik was wrong in throwing that hit in that situation. The game is decided, you play hard, but it serves nothing to throw a check like that with 30 seconds to go in a 3 goal game.

I said the same thing about Scott Stevens on Shane Willis and do this day that is one of the most disgusting hits of all time, because it was just not neccesary.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
For people saying that the hit on Kreider was taking liberties, I'm just curious to what youre reaction would be of the roles were reversed. What if a Ranger defenseman hit a young player with a clean hit in a game against a divisional rival? Would you say "Girardi, you shouldn't take liberties with a rival like that"

I'm just curious

OK, roles reversed. Girardi lays out Sutter, or Tangradi at the end of a game that's already decided on the scoreboard. I would say Engelland will be looking for it immediately if he was on the ice, if not you better have a good counter out there on the next whistle becuase he's going to come calling.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
While I don't think there was a need for retaliation, I wouldn't have been against it if it happened...my issue is that people feel that Orpik was in the wrong and saying it wasn't 'Necessary'... Don't fault them for playing hard til the final minute just because the rangers didn't, it was a clean hit... Thats Orpiks game.... he doesn't have to let Kreider just weave over the blueline with no resistance just because he is a rookie.

If the rangers want to get retribution then try and level Crosby/Malkin next game.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I agree 100%. They Pens would have answered the bell for sure.

Every NHL team & even the Red Wings from a couple of years ago would have answered that . Orpik is not a monster like Lucic...he would not have killed Boyle . I'm sure it was talked about in the Pen dressing room after...about nobody doing anything and that if that happened to one of them...they better man up and grow a set . Just imagine how the Kid Kreider felt about things after ???

Our team just does not seem ready to go to war yet for each other . I'm hoping that it will change in the next few games or we could have a serious team chemistry/leadership problem . I fully expect it to be answered in the next Penguin game...and I am willing to bet that it will be...any takers on that ??? :)

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
While I don't think there was a need for retaliation, I wouldn't have been against it if it happened...my issue is that people feel that Orpik was in the wrong and saying it wasn't 'Necessary'... Don't fault them for playing hard til the final minute just because the rangers didn't, it was a clean hit... Thats Orpiks game.... he doesn't have to let Kreider just weave over the blueline with no resistance just because he is a rookie.

If the rangers want to get retribution then try and level Crosby/Malkin next game.

I understand Orpiks game. He a physical guy. One of the better pure hitters in the game today. A physical guy that imposes his will on the opposition. He played his game.

I don't understand that nobody even put so much as a glove in Orpiks face after the hit? Nobody answered the bell. My point was never about the hit itself being clean. My point is no matter what, when you guy get laid out you better step up. That is how unity as a team is built. Every guy stadning up for one another. Every guy having each others backs.

For the posters saying that is NOT Boyle's thing. Boyle has been in NY for 3 full seasons now. He's got 13 fighting majors in that time. He had 3 more with the kIngs in the 36 games he's played for them. It's not like he's new.

And for the record, I was NEVER a guy to bash Boyle in the past. In fact I ive defended him here. I love that he was a guy on the outside looking in a couple seasons ago. Basically he was told he would likely be in Hartford. He won the job in training camp. My point is he was given opportunity and he went above and beyond. He exceeded expectations two season ago. I thought he has the capability of doing so again. Yesteray he completely dissapointed me. Now, I believe that Pyatt might have also been out there. Can't remember, but...Boyle was right there. I think he even looked over at Orpik, then looked towards the official.

To me the right move was immediate reaction on Orpik.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
I understand Orpiks game. He a physical guy. One of the better pure hitters in the game today. A physical guy that imposes his will on the opposition. He played his game.

I don't understand that nobody even put so much as a glove in Orpiks face after the hit? Nobody answered the bell. My point was never about the hit itself being clean. My point is no matter what, when you guy get laid out you better step up. That is how unity as a team is built. Every guy stadning up for one another. Every guy having each others backs.

For the posters saying that is NOT Boyle's thing. Boyle has been in NY for 3 full seasons now. He's got 13 fighting majors in that time. He had 3 more with the kIngs in the 36 games he's played for them. It's not like he's new.

And for the record, I was NEVER a guy to bash Boyle in the past. In fact I ive defended him here. I love that he was a guy on the outside looking in a couple seasons ago. Basically he was told he would likely be in Hartford. He won the job in training camp. My point is he was given opportunity and he went above and beyond. He exceeded expectations two season ago. I thought he has the capability of doing so again. Yesteray he completely dissapointed me. Now, I believe that Pyatt might have also been out there. Can't remember, but...Boyle was right there. I think he even looked over at Orpik, then looked towards the official.

To me the right move was immediate reaction on Orpik.

Boyle is as soft as they come. It is a problem for a lot of big guys. His mom basically said that they were always afraid of him hurting someone. If he ever had an intimidating streak his parents did their best to pacify him

That's why he thought he could dangle as a kid. They didn't want him imposing his size on people. I would imagine the NCAA and NHL have tried to teach the opposite but he doesn't get it

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

Do you feel that at 6'6 or whatever he is that he is considered a physical presence on the ice ?

For a guy his size he could easily impose himself on opponents much more than he does. Do you think other players are worried when Boyle steps on the ice ?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Senators, players and fans sure seemed to be in the playoffs last season.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I'm just curious

Yeah... That was a perfectly clean hit. Shoulder, no elbow. Orpik didn't leave his feet. Dunno how that could be taking liberties.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Ok. Who voted for Bickel?

I voted for Bickel, Hank and Hagelin for the lols.

My serious votes would have gone to Nash, Pyatt and MDZ. They are the only three who have come to play the last two games and I thought that even before they scored. I don't see how anyone can say Callahan or Boyle have had good games. But I'm pretty sure some people pleasure themselves to thoughts of Callahan at night so whatever.

Garden_Variety

Jun 29, 2004
New Jersey
I have no problem with the hit itself actually. After watching replays, as I mentioned, it was a clean hit.

What I do have a problem with is how the team did nothing to stick up for Kreider. You damn well know that if the roles were reversed, Matt Cooke would've come off the bench and jumped whoever hit his guy.

Bylsma was smart. He took Orpik right off the ice after that hit.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Do you feel that at 6'6 or whatever he is that he is considered a physical presence on the ice ?

For a guy his size he could easily impose himself on opponents much more than he does. Do you think other players are worried when Boyle steps on the ice ?
Have you even watched Boyle's play closely? Seriously have you? Really watch him the next few games. I'm not saying he is a physical animal, but there are way too many times where I find myself saying, 'Boyle play the damn puck, not the man.' Because too many times during his tenure here he'll go out of his way or just have tunnel vision to finish a check instead of using good stick work and picking up the puck that is barely on the opponent's blade or was just mishandled by the opponent. The guy does play a physical game but sure isn't always managed properly.

On a side note. The hit on Kreider was clean though I just don't know why Orpik had to do that with what a minute to go? in a 6-3 game. No need. I'm more mad as to why no one did anything. He got away with that crap last year with that cheap shot on Stepan at the end of the season. He needs to get his.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC

I'm just curious

It was a hockey hit, a legal hockey hit.Too bad that it happened to be one of our players. End of story..............

NYRANGERAMI*

Every NHL team & even the Red Wings from a couple of years ago would have answered that . Orpik is not a monster like Lucic...he would not have killed Boyle . I'm sure it was talked about in the Pen dressing room after...about nobody doing anything and that if that happened to one of them...they better man up and grow a set . Just imagine how the Kid Kreider felt about things after ???

Our team just does not seem ready to go to war yet for each other . I'm hoping that it will change in the next few games or we could have a serious team chemistry/leadership problem . I fully expect it to be answered in the next Penguin game...and I am willing to bet that it will be...any takers on that ??? :)

If you wear the same Jersey as me your already my brother. As a team the Rangers may need time to gel together as to their talents, but as a team we should have each others back from the start. I dont think the hit by Orpik was dirty, and i dont care. If you lay out a teammate legal or not, "them fightin words". And a brawl should have broken out, teeth should go missing and blood should seep onto that white canvas we call ice. Our players all fight including the goalie. The coach tells the other coach to kiss his rear hind, And the fans throw things on the ice. When the Penguin players leave the ice you dont put your hand out to get a high five, you pour beer on them. Than teams will think twice about the rough stuff. Now you dont start a brawl after every check in every game. It is a contact sport. But when a player gets layed out, legal or not. You pummel the opposition or get pummeled. United we stand, divided we fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Look, that's not what it is about.

I think almost everyone agrees with you. But I've not seen much debate on that, only about some remarks that has gone overboard if anything really.

Many are however saying that people are taking liberties on us because we aren't standing up for ourselves. It sounds like goons on teams we are playing are running all over the place taking liberties on our players all the time because we are so soft and nobody are standing up for each other.

I would definitely estimate that its the opposite. This is the NHL. You see situations like this in baiscally every or atleast every other game. So will we do no matter what.

So:
1. I definitely do not think that we are on the receiving end of more dirty hits than other teams, my bet is that its the opposite to be honest (though its hard to support with facts, but all you need to do is watch like a handful of games and I bet that you will see at least 5-10 sitautions like this).
2. I do think this team stands up for each other as much as any other team. Had we had other players on the ice when that happend, we would probably have seen it too.
3. If anything is tilted in this equation, its that we as a team hands out a heck of a lot less big hits than the avg team. Our D's basically never makes a big hit, when they do its like Girardi or Staal hitting a forward shoulder to shoulder along the boards and the forward falls down. That happends what 20 times per year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad