Confirmed with Link: Rangers Trade Georgiev to Avs for 3rd + 5th '22 + 3rd '23

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
point-nod.gif

Reactions: Unpredictable1

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Great haul. Was starting to think they would just have to let him walk as a UFA. Did not think any team would give up assets and be willing to qualify him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well we hated Grubauer and Kuemper so maybe so. Hopefully this allows us to keep Nichuskin is the biggest thing

I get why it was done. I wouldn't have signed Kuemper to big money either.

Georgiev is clearly worse than both of those guys though. If you hated them, ohhh you're going to hate Georgiev.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I get why it was done. I wouldn't have signed Kuemper to big money either.

Georgiev is clearly worse than both of those guys though. If you hated them, ohhh you're going to hate Georgiev.

Perhaps but both of them were poor in the playoffs. Time will tell but it's a low risk move.

On another note do you think the Rangers will sign Kadri ?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I:
1. did not
2. would rather have 2 3rds and a 5th than a 2nd.
In a draft like this, I would agree

I don’t think 2nd round picks are THAT much more valuable this year than 3rds.

I’d rather have 3 chances at hitting on a pick, than one slightly better chance.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Georgiev had his faults but he's a good royal road goalie and that is why he was a commodity. HF isn't prepared for the royal road revolution but hopefully Drury is.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
2015 draft we got a 2nd and 3rd for Talbot, then got Raanta for a bag of pucks. No drop off in net.

Take this 3rd, 3rd and 5th, and go sign Charlie Lindgren. We're chillin'

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers didn't have much leverage, everyone knew Georgiev wanted out, and his QO was too high for the Rangers. They had to move him and that was known. For a guy that has regressed over the past couple years, I'd say they did quite well, given the circumstances.

If nothing else they have some ammunition to move up in those middle rounds if they see someone dropping that they really like.

Yeah, love the return and the deal, at the same time, if you are a GM looking for a goalie and think — right or wrong — that hey, Georgiev could be a guy that breaks out, why the heck don’t you “ant up” to get him?

GMs are always like this. It’s the same when EDM and Chiarelli were haggling over Talbot, only to send more than twice the return to the Islanders for Griffith Reinhardt right after. He was lucky to get Talbot, Florida claimed to have been robbed of Talbot because they offered a lot more. Jeff probably wanted to keep the relationship hit with PC.

How many teams wanted Geo as a potential starter, but now won’t get him because they weren’t willing to offer an extra pick? It’s just dumb asset management.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This isn't a bad move for Colorado. Georgiev, if he can regain his form, will give them a decent starter along with Francouz. It also helps keep their cap allocations down in goal.

Reactions: Alienblood

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
If hes starting for them, they aren't getting there.

The large majority of Georgiev's career shows him to be a below average goalie. I don't know why people expect that to change now that hes on the move. Do I think focus/motivation being stuck behind a legend and then another guy who looks well on his way to becoming one was a factor? 100%. Do I also remember him single handedly keeping opponents in (or even blowing) games by being awful on the semi regular? Also yes.

It's not like we're some goalie graveyard like is Philly or NJ is becoming where you take a guy out of a shitty situation and find gold.
I think there is reasonable evidence that he performed better in a starters role. The times Igor was out for more than a few games were his best stretches.

Not inconceivable that he raises his game as a full time starter.

That being said. He was never getting that opportunity here

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think there is reasonable evidence that he performed better in a starters role. The times Igor was out for more than a few games were his best stretches.

Not inconceivable that he raises his game as a full time starter.

That being said. He was never getting that opportunity here

I thought so too, but his save percentage as a backup and when getting regular work was virtually identical. Someone posted the numbers.

He legit regressed each season he was here though. His rookie season was actually really good considering how bad that team was. Sophomore effort was really up and down, he was bad during the short covid season and was even worse last season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean if Georgiev wins the starting job, it could be a great trade for Colorado. We've seen Georgiev play really well when he has been forced into extended action. Where he has trouble is when he has to share time or serve primarily as the backup. He needs to play a lot to play well.

Reactions: McSauer

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I thought so too, but his save percentage as a backup and when getting regular work was virtually identical. Someone posted the numbers.

He legit regressed each season he was here though. His rookie season was actually really good considering how bad that team was. Sophomore effort was really up and down, he was bad during the short covid season and was even worse last season.

This narrative exists with basically every non-old backup. Older guys need to be a backup to stay rested. Younger guys need to play more often to stay sharp. Then you look at the numbers and there's no difference.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
One thing this proves is that a lot of people on this Board are clueless at times. Conversation until now was that Rangers would be lucky to get any picks let alone 3 for him. Drury has proven so far he is very much qualified for this position. I would not under estimate his ability to pull of a great trade for a 2 center. Let the fun begin.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As a fan of Colorado and the Rangers, I have mixed feelings about this. I like Georgiev, and think he has more to give in a different environment than the Rangers. I'm not exactly super thrilled with a tandem of Georgie and Francouz going into next season, but if the alternative was to pay over 5.5 to Kuemper or someone else, I think I will take this gamble. Would've rather hoped it was Fleury or Husso rather than Georgiev but oh well.

Georgiev will blend in nicely with the Avs, he has two good friends in Lehkonen and Rantanen who both played with him and they train together. Obviously this was the case with Kakko here, but I think both Rantanen and Lehkonen being a much bigger presence in the locker room compared to Kakko will definitely help out Georgiev.

As for the Rangers, Drury did well here. Picks are nothing for Colorado at this point, so it was a landslide win for Chris considering he wasn't even going to qualify Georgiev.

I feel pretty good about this trade for both sides as of right now, but that can change during the next week if we see Campbell, Kuemper, Husso or Fleyry sign for a contract that could've been done with the Avs.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
One thing this proves is that a lot of people on this Board are clueless at times. Conversation until now was that Rangers would be lucky to get any picks let alone 3 for him. Drury has proven so far he is very much qualified for this position. I would not under estimate his ability to pull of a great trade for a 2 center. Let the fun begin.
I do think some of the high prices people say that other players will cost in trade is often overstated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad