Confirmed with Link: Rangers Trade Georgiev to Avs for 3rd + 5th '22 + 3rd '23

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
my point is that your point about qualified or not is irrelevant as he was going to get traded. question was where and for what.
But the fact that the Rangers wouldn't/couldn't give Georgiev the QO has a direct impact on his value. Any time you're in a position where you HAVE to trade a guy, you lose leverage in trade talks and should generally expect a lesser return than you'd get if keeping the player was a realistic possibility.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
But the fact that the Rangers wouldn't/couldn't give Georgiev the QO has a direct impact on his value. Any time you're in a position where you HAVE to trade a guy, you lose leverage in trade talks and should generally expect a lesser return than you'd get if keeping the player was a realistic possibility.
wouldn't because they were trading him so there was no need to, he was going to be moved it was 110%

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
wouldn't because they were trading him so there was no need to, he was going to be moved it was 110%
LOL, one of the primary reasons that they were "110%" trading him was because they couldn't afford to keep him at his QO, even if they wanted to.

The fact that he wanted out, the fact that his QO was substantially higher than what his play would dictate he's worth, and the fact that he would hit free agency in a week if he wasn't traded, that stuff ALL factors into his overall value. All of those variables affect the team's leverage in talks.

If his QO was like $1M or something, that would at least give the team the option to choose to trade him later, or to keep him and try to convince him to sign the QO and stay, or whatever. Additional options. It would give the team the opportunity in trade talks to say, actually, we're going to hold onto him, as leverage.

We didn't have that, though. As you said, it was understood by all parties that we'd be trading him, at least in part because of the QO situation.

I don't really feel any of this is debatable and we're just arguing in circles now, so this is the last thing I have to say about it. Given that everyone and their mother knew we had to trade him by July 11 (for whatever reasons you believe are important), this was a good return.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
LOL, one of the primary reasons that they were "110%" trading him was because they couldn't afford to keep him at his QO, even if they wanted to.

The fact that he wanted out, the fact that his QO was substantially higher than what his play would dictate he's worth, and the fact that he would hit free agency in a week if he wasn't traded, that stuff ALL factors into his overall value. All of those variables affect the team's leverage in talks.

If his QO was like $1M or something, that would at least give the team the option to choose to trade him later, or to keep him and try to convince him to sign the QO and stay, or whatever. Additional options. It would give the team the opportunity in trade talks to say, actually, we're going to hold onto him, as leverage.

We didn't have that, though. As you said, it was understood by all parties that we'd be trading him, at least in part because of the QO situation.

I don't really feel any of this is debatable and we're just arguing in circles now, so this is the last thing I have to say about it. Given that everyone and their mother knew we had to trade him by July 11 (for whatever reasons you believe are important), this was a good return.
even if he was signed through next season for under 1 mil he was still going to be traded at or prior to draft.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
odd that the Rangers got more for Georgiev than Talbot from 5-6 year ago. Talbot showed he could start for almost an entire season
But Cam returned a 2nd and a 3rd just over 7 years ago?

Funny enough, it was the same day we got Raanta for Ryan Fkn Haggerty. LOL

But still...
We find Cam out of nowhere, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.
We trade a nothing player for Annti, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.
We find Georgie out of nowhere, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.

We've done fine.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
But Cam returned a 2nd and a 3rd just over 7 years ago?

Funny enough, it was the same day we got Raanta for Ryan Fkn Haggerty. LOL

But still...
We find Cam out of nowhere, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.
We trade a nothing player for Annti, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.
We find Georgie out of nowhere, groom him, play him, and get some futures out of him.

We've done fine.

So we can get a backup for Tim Gettinger or some other AHL player liked they did when they traded for Raanta.. shocked Haggerty still has not made the NHL. Gettinger played some games at least.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
So we can get a backup for Tim Gettinger or some other AHL player liked they did when they traded for Raanta.. shocked Haggerty still has not made the NHL. Gettinger played some games at least.
I'm worried about Hartford's forward depth, so I'd rather "find someone out of nowhere as an undrafted FA" or hit on a draft pick that's already in the system...or even Kincaid who's already a great guy at least.

We don't "need to" trade anything in the first place if it compromises the AHL team.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'm worried about Hartford's forward depth, so I'd rather "find someone out of nowhere as an undrafted FA" or hit on a draft pick that's already in the system...or even Kincaid who's already a great guy at least.

We don't "need to" trade anything in the first place if it compromises the AHL team.
I agree. I rather go the undrafted route for depth but for the backup a trade might be the best option. Get someone who can thrive. Talbot Georgiev both undrafted and it worked. they traded an AHL player for a solid goalie backup. Options are available

Reactions: Kendo

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm worried about Hartford's forward depth, ...
there are 19 names currently in the mix at F in Hartford,
(assuming the 4 decent RFA's re-sign, but Elmer walks)
good mix of youth and vets, skill and moxie

I've been supportive of coach KK,
but last season's stretch collapse continued pattern of "not enough"
he needs to blend the talent and the leadership into a consistently tougher team to beat

(sorted oldest to youngest, YYMM year-month)
9108 Fritz[AHL 9306 Brodzinski 9409 Rydahl
9601 DiGiacinto[AHL 9606 Lohin[AHL 9608 E.Brodzinski[AHL
9707 Whelan[AHL 9709 RueschhoffRFA 9710 RonningRFA
9803 RichardsRFA 9804 GettingerRFA 9810 Khodorenko
9901 Trivigno 9909 Pajuniemi 0010 Edström
0102 Henriksson 0202 Cuylle 0206 Rempe
0209 Korczak

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I think it was a great trade. The Avs need a goalie b/c Kuemper will be a UFA and the Avs aren't going to resign him. This goes a little more in depth about the trade:

I'm happy for Georgiev and wish him the best in Colorado. I hope he has some real success there.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
You have to admit that it's kind of funny that with one message he's just shown more class towards the Rangers organisation than Krav has up to this point :laugh:
If you think that he had anything to do with that tweet, I think you are mistaken.

I hope that he does well here in Denver, but I still have reservations.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If you think that he had anything to do with that tweet, I think you are mistaken.

I hope that he does well here in Denver, but I still have reservations.
He does make all his social media posts himself, because unlike some of the Russians in the league he can actually talk English. Also:

Reactions: tbassler

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3