Rangers statement on Wilson non-suspension

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s an extraordinary statement and a fat lip the Rangers gave Bettman so I imagine there is going to be payback because he’s a dictatorial worm. It needed to be said though.

I don’t know how tonight will play out but I wouldn’t over emphasize the Rangers need to get even with the Caps because there’s another message going on with the Rangers statement and it’s that the league won’t protect our players from clowns like Wilson and Parros—meaning that in the future we’re going to have to protect ourselves. I see the Rangers beefing up this offseason now.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
A punch to the back of the head? Boo who. Grabbing panarins hair wasnt acceptable but has the league gotten so soft that people think we need suspensions for this stuff? No. We need enforcers. We need to bring real hockey back. The game sucks these days im sorry, its hard to watch figure skaters

Thank you for your contribution. Bye!

Reactions: jellybeans

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Has the prospect of boycotting the remainder of your games this season been discussed? Seems like that'd be a huge statement and garner a lot of press, which might force the NHL's hand. Although Bettman would likely get vindictive and strip you of all your draft picks for the next 3 years.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
moses-hightower-96137-normal.jpg

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I love the statement. The NHL and dops needed to be called out, not only for this incident, but for the overall lack of consistency and responsibility in their assessments. Look, i get missing the "good old days" of more physical hockey, I do too sometimes, but we have more knowledge now about PCS and CTE than we did back in the days. We know that a seemingly inconsequential head or neck injury could have huge consequences down the line.

As for the notion of letting the players themselves police the game. It’s been tried and it really does not work. They players who take it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner, more often than not, are the same players who will cross the line and make dirty, dangerous plays themselves. “We need a Tom Wilson to stand up to the next Tom Wilson who punches a prone Buch in the neck”. How about there are no Tom Wilsons (Not talking about him as a hockey player skill wise)? How about the league makes sure that crossing the line from tough to dangerous will cost you? Make the suspensions count, make them actually impactable. Go after their wallet.

It's possible to have a tough league, to have open ice hits, hard fought battles along the boards, and even fisticuffs when things get emotional. We can keep the fighting, the hits and the checks. We just need actual consequences who can work as an actual deterrent for players who elbow, spear, hair pull, target the head/neck area, or go after defenseless players.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Not expecting a thing to be done tomorrow. Rangers will play with more of an edge to make it look good and then it'll all be forgotten. Do you know who won't forget? Panarin, that's who. He will spend all offseason asking himself why he signed on to be the be-all end-all, including the team's enforcer. Seriously, what is Davidson and Gorton's stance on this roster?

I think that is what Rangers are afraid of. This statement was made to show Panarin that "they care".
They have invested near 12 million pr year in this guy. Why cant they invest a million and a half for someone to protect that investment?

Reactions: Anthony5967

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It’s an extraordinary statement and a fat lip the Rangers gave Bettman so I imagine there is going to be payback because he’s a dictatorial worm. It needed to be said though.

just don’t draft picks away Bettman. I don’t think any fine bothers the Rangers.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Rangers had 5 guys on ice and Caps had 4.Was it really that bad ? There’s not one team in the NHL that would not want Tom Wilson on there team.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
Good job to your management for standing up for your guy. Wish more organizations (& not just in the NHL) were like that.

Reactions: Cmox

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
I don´t see how the amount of guys on ice relates to Tom Wilson´s actions.
If the Rangers wanted to go after Wilson they had the upper hand.Rangers are just soft.They had Lemieux and traded him away.Haley was here last season and they got rid of him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If the Rangers wanted to go after Wilson they had the upper hand.Rangers are just soft.They had Lemieux and traded him away.Haley was here last season and they got rid of him.

The rangers don't want to 'go after' Wilson. The Rangers presumably (and sensibly) want to play the game of hockey, which, while they understand is physical and tough, is still expected to be played within a set of established rules, by players who are trying to remain within those rules. When those rules are breached they expect those who breach them to be dealt with in a manner that not only stops them from doing again, but deters other from doing something similar.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

So your argument is its the Rangers fault for not having goons and giving them power play time in case Wilson goes psycho??

There are dumb takes, and then there is this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad