Rangers statement on Wilson non-suspension

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
So watching the Panarin body slam, he did ever so slightly slow down in the end. I don't know if it's some semblance of a moral compass or just "bad" execution on his part. I'm strongly leaning towards the latter. He wouldn't body slam him in the first place if he had any moral compass.

I've said this before, but without a helmet if Panarin's head had hit the ice in the wrong way we wouldn't be talking about fines, suspensions, or hockey for that matter. We'd be talking about someone's way of life. If Wilson wasn't the idiot he was he could've wrestled with Panarin on his feet and I'd have less issue with that. Fine, Panarin came at you to defend his teammate, you have every right to stand your ground. But throwing a helmetless player down in the heat of the moment shows your character.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Great Statement by the Rangers. This guy has several offenses on his resume and the fact that he got away with what he did to Buch and a elite player in Panarin is ridiculous

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
If the Rangers wanted to go after Wilson they had the upper hand.Rangers are just soft.They had Lemieux and traded him away.Haley was here last season and they got rid of him.

Yea this guy feels like any goon can jump on the ice at any time and take liberties. This isn't baseball.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I've said this before, but without a helmet if Panarin's head had hit the ice in the wrong way we wouldn't be talking about fines, suspensions, or hockey for that matter. We'd be talking about someone's way of life. If Wilson wasn't the idiot he was he could've wrestled with Panarin on his feet and I'd have less issue with that. Fine, Panarin came at you to defend his teammate, you have every right to stand your ground. But throwing a helmetless player down in the heat of the moment shows your character.

Wilson is a coward. Lets look at his actions:

Punch to the back of buch's head as he's pinned face first to the ice by Wilson's teammate= cowardly

Third man in rabbit punching strome as strome is pinned down by Wilson's teammate= cowardly

Hair pulling into a slew foot of a helmetless player half your size= cowardly

Mocking the other team from the box after you were hair pulling like a little girl= cowardly.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Next game be extra physical borderline dirty on Backstrom.....
Them Maybe Wilson Will calm down ...or not !

Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Bah God, it’s James Dolan! Stunner to Bettman!

79CAAB92-2DE7-451D-815A-E71A5B7B12E6.gif
6E4FA5AA-681F-4A2F-939F-3EBEC5AD9B4E.gif

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Wilson tried to hurt the Rangers best player and then gloated about it. He needs his ass stomped. Everything else, the statements, the tweets, the back and forth with the league is just theater. This needs to be settled on the ice tonight.

Reactions: tlk

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We've seen this before again and again, goons won't deter guys like Wilson from taking cheap shots and hurting other players. Goons are rarely on the ice enough and ready to jump in at a seconds notice, it rarely makes sense to give them a bunch of icetime to police the other team, and most goons have still stayed within the "code" of the game

If the NHL won't police those actions then the solution to a player like Wilson is what I posted earlier. You take him out. Not legally, you just take him out. Blow out his knee, cheap shot him in the head, cross check into the boards. You deliberately injure him. When he comes back, you do it again. You do it every time he's out there. You can't police players who are willing to cross the line and hide behind the league rules if you aren't going to cross that line too and make it stick.

But that has at least two problems. For one, the player who's taking these guys out is torpedoing his career, not many probably want to get to the NHL level and throw it away. For two, now you have an escalating situation where teams are constantly trying to hurt their opponents for retribution etc and it doesn't stop. No team really wants to get into a never ending battle of attrition.

So, it's up to the league to put a stop to it but they won't

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
"I really don't want to f***ing kill Giroux tonight. [Something]I'm going to kill f***ing Giroux. You got this guy running around. So get him under control or I'm going to f***ing kill Giroux."

I miss that stuff.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Then they should put out another statement pointing out how ridiculous it is that they're fined that much but Wilson is fined pocket change for this stuff and watch as this stuff starts getting air time in the world of sports/news that usually doesn't care about hockey

It won't really matter in the long run but still

Reactions: mas0764

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Isles fan coming to say f*** Wilson

i rather have Andres Lee lol. Rangers need grit in the top 6. too much finesse is an issue here too. enough of the goons. give me a power forward that makes the team harder to play against.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You know now that I think about it I'm glad the NHL's response was so woefully inadequate. They could have suspended him for the last few games of the regular season and it wouldn't be enough, but would probably be enough to sweep under a rug. As is, the NHL exposed how pathetic their DoPS is and brought A LOT of negative attention to themselves.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm still not so sure the Rangers get an enormous fine. They'll get something, but right now a lot of people are filled with total indignation caused by the league's inaction, and I think the league is well aware. Castigating the Rangers with a huge fine and blistering press release would only serve to further inflame the situation and to keep it in the news, which is the last thing the league wants at this point.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Clearly the league believes this to be a run of the mill scrum, like Laviolette did, and will therefore come down HARD on the Rangers. If every scrum leads to team's calling out Parros then it'll be a fiasco. The issue is that this was not a run of the mill scrum and the penalty was miniscule compared to the action, making the Rangers feel it necessary to respond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad