Rangers statement on Wilson non-suspension

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The NHL is already in a bad mood about us calling them out and all eyes will be on this game. We'll be left holding the bag if anything happens and I'm sure the Caps already told him he better be a church mouse tomorrow because they have the playoffs next week.

I'm expecting a quiet game.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Caps fans are being real assholes about this. If anyone decides to sport a Wilson jersey to MSG anytime soon they should wear a few beers for the audacity.

What do you expect from a fanbase where 90% of them just realized they had a team in 2005, yet they can't shut up about how hockey should be more like the 1980s? The second that team turns into a bottom feeder again, their "fans" will lose all interest just like they did for the first 30 years of the franchise's existence.

And that's not based on just this website--I lived near D.C. when they got Ovechkin and I have a bunch of relatives down there. None of them gave a flying f*** about hockey until AO, and then suddenly everyone had 5 jerseys in their closets. The Caps don't have fans; they have cosplayers.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Caps fans are being real assholes about this. If anyone decides to sport a Wilson jersey to MSG anytime soon they should wear a few beers for the audacity.

It's crazy how quick they went from dejected and anticipating losses in the Playoffs to acting like the best franchise in history AFTER WINING ONE CUP..... EVER... with one of the greatest Power Forwards to play the game and a pretty solid supporting cast to boot. Like if that's all they walk away with after their rapidly closing window is shut for good, that's pretty disappointing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I hope we do on to the Caps as they did on to us!! Wilson ended Panarin's season Mason Geertsen should end a Capitols players season
Fair. But frankly that’s not fair to Geertsen. Makes him suddenly the bad guy and kind of a tool. I doubt the Rangers would do that to him. I could understand it but I don’t think it’s the right way to go. Frankly, Wilson, the Caps, the League, and the union have created a terrible situation. They need to sort it out. Not Geertsen.
As I say, I totally understand and even feel the sentiment. But escalation and revenge seems not-quite-right to me.

Reactions: GAGLine

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
we are talking about the capitals. Not the islanders or devils.
Correct.

Islanders and Devils fans have posted in this thread condemning the league's decision. Caps fans think what he did was hilarious. That tells you all you need to know.

I know we have history on the ice with the Islanders and Devils but we're talking about a situation where a player on our team could have been paralyzed or killed.

What he's done goes beyond the rink. He's a criminal and that franchise has defended and enabled every move he makes.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
They will probably sit Wilson to protect him from himself. They know he is a roided out psycho who can't help himself and all eyes are gonna be on him.

Also:

Wonder what they do here!

Reactions: Cmox

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Guarantee you Wilson either sits or doesn't play much tomorrow. The league has likely already called both teams and made it clear that anything happens will be dealt with severely.

Severely? That would be hypocritical to say the least. You throw our helmetless player down to the ice violently, no problem. You instigate anything with Wilson tomorrow, 5 game suspension.

Reactions: egelband

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
They will probably sit Wilson to protect him from himself. They know he is a roided out psycho who can't help himself and all eyes are gonna be on him.

Also:

Wonder what they do here!

Do you see who it is? If anything, Konecny will get suspended for not driving his own head into the ice!

Reactions: Cmox and dshea19

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Correct.

Islanders and Devils fans have posted in this thread condemning the league's decision. Caps fans think what he did was hilarious. That tells you all you need to know.

I know we have history on the ice with the Islanders and Devils but we're talking about a situation where a player on our team could have been paralyzed or killed.

What he's done goes beyond the rink. He's a criminal and that franchise has defended and enabled every move he makes.

i just have a special hatred for the devils and isles. No fan bases can replace them. They enjoy ruining the entire sport with the trap and think its good hockey. :DD

and yes wilson is an awful human who should have gotten 20 games seeing he has been suspended 7 times already and still isnt getting the message.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Brendan Smith is gonna throw some haymakers tomorrow night. Tomorrow he gets his new nick name. Big Smitty. A select few will name him Brendan the instigator.

There will be blood.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
It’s not even just Caps fans anymore that think nothing was done wrong. Steve Kouleas, an NHL guy on SiriusXM is ridiculing the Rangers on Twitter for their statement. Look it up, that Crosby and Konecny incident got a reply from him basically implying the Rangers organization is crying. Hopefully his tweet will get all the negative attention it deserves.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Another thing to consider. Joe Micheletti came out heaping praise on Ton Wilson during the game. I can appreciate not being total homers but this was uncalled for given what had just happened. It's time for him to go, give the job to Valliquette.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
What do you expect from a fanbase where 90% of them just realized they had a team in 2005, yet they can't shut up about how hockey should be more like the 1980s? The second that team turns into a bottom feeder again, their "fans" will lose all interest just like they did for the first 30 years of the franchise's existence.

And that's not based on just this website--I lived near D.C. when they got Ovechkin and I have a bunch of relatives down there. None of them gave a flying f*** about hockey until AO, and then suddenly everyone had 5 jerseys in their closets. The Caps don't have fans; they have cosplayers.

So similar to Blackhawk fans. 8 out of 10 Hawks fans can’t name a single player before the Kane/Toews/Keith era.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm actually not surprised by this. I said earlier in the thread that Gorton, Sather, JD and Drury needed to express their disappointment here. I didn't expect them to do so publicly but at this point, why not? What's the worst that happens, the league fines the team? The Rangers don't care about that and doing that just makes the league look worse.

The league did not leave the Rangers with many options. When the Rangers didn't goon it up or attempt to hurt Wilson or any of the Caps star players they essentially said "OK, we're going to be the bigger people here and trust in the league to do the right thing." That didn't happen. A $5k fine is a message from the league directly to the Rangers organization that the NHL doesn't care about the safety of their players. It was an insult. And now it puts them in a bad position for tomorrow night's game. None of the other major sports leagues operate in this ridiculous a manner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad