Rangers statement on Wilson non-suspension

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
I'm actually not surprised by this. I said earlier in the thread that Gorton, Sather, JD and Drury needed to express their disappointment here. I didn't expect them to do so publicly but at this point, why not? What's the worst that happens, the league fines the team? The Rangers don't care about that and doing that just makes the league look worse.

The league did not leave the Rangers with many options. When the Rangers didn't goon it up or attempt to hurt Wilson or any of the Caps star players they essentially said "OK, we're going to be the bigger people here and trust in the league to do the right thing." That didn't happen. A $5k fine is a message from the league directly to the Rangers organization that the NHL doesn't care about the safety of their players. It was an insult. And now it puts them in a bad position for tomorrow night's game. None of the other major sports leagues operate in this ridiculous a manner.

The league forced the Rangers hand tomorrow night, the two best players who dresses for the Caps must pay by having their season ended!! The same way Panarin's season was ended last night! Then it will be a lesson learned!!

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Welp, I'm a little nervous that Sean Avery is basically saying the same exact thing I wrote on here yesterday.

That said, he's right.

And beyond that, I've said it here once last ngiht and I'll say it again. The NYR revenue is a major reason why the NHL is able to have 32 team league and why teams like PHX and FLA are still around. As such, they need to tell Gary Bettman in very simple terms -- don't protect our 80m dollar investment. Then don't expect a dime in rev share. Feel free to sue us and watch the league dissolve in the process.

Reactions: Backstreets Back

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Take a guy who made millions in the NHL, who would be answering phones for a living if cheapshots didn't exist, and put him in charge of getting rid of cheapshots.

What could possibly go wrong?

The Rangers are going to end up with a bigger fine for their statement than Tom Wilson for almost killing 2 people. Watch.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Brendan Smith is gonna throw some haymakers tomorrow night. Tomorrow he gets his new nick name. Big Smitty. A select few will name him Brendan the instigator.

There will be blood.
Even if smith beats the snot out of Wilson, there will be 20 other caps chasing him around the ice.

Reactions: Modest Grouse

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The biggest crime committed in the last 24 hours is that Boomer Esiason and Don freakin La Greca are the voices of hockey on NY sports radio.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If professional body builder and part time hockey player Julien Gauthier can step up here with some retaliation within the rules, he'd easily earn himself a place in the heart of Rangers fans and perhaps even a better shot when Quinn is gone.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
If professional body builder and part time hockey player Julien Gauthier can step up here with some retaliation within the rules, he'd easily earn himself a place in the heart of Rangers fans and perhaps even a better shot when Quinn is gone.
And if it doesn’t go well against Wilson, he’ll get a viking burial out on the Hudson. Can’t lose.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Did the rangers call up an enforcer for the next game?
I doubt it. The Rangers are putting pressure on the league to deal with this situation and calling up a goon would probably take the league off the hook, a bit. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I doubt the Rangers alter their lineup or style much at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->