Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes, the 2017 draft and onwards kids will be exempt, Rykov will be exempt, Shesty will be exempt

You're right that Rykov and Shesterkin will be exempt, but wrong that everyone 2017 onwards will be. The rule is 1st and 2nd year pros. In 2 years, Chytil and Andersson will be beyond that, so both will need protection. Fox, Kravtsov and Kakko/Hughes will not need protection.

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You're right that Rykov and Shesterkin will be exempt, but wrong that everyone 2017 onwards will be. The rule is 1st and 2nd year pros. In 2 years, Chytil and Andersson will be beyond that, so both will need protection. Fox, Kravtsov and Kakko/Hughes will not need protection.
You are right. Counting is hard.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You are right. Counting is hard.

SO hard.

Either way, looking at it definitely feels like the Rangers are in really good shape for the expansion draft. Forwards likely to absolutely need to be protected: Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Chytil, Andersson. I'm not including Kreider, but maybe will need to if they resign him. Lemieux could push his way into that conversation. D likely to absolutely need to be protected: Skjei, DeAngelo, Pionk, Hajek.

Rangers could easily end up an 8 skaters rather than a 7F/3D team.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yes he might. The big learning here is that situations and perceptions change. Make one organizational change and the light shines a little differently. Players standing in the organization change over time and performance dictates constant reordering of the overall situation. Again, not advocating, just noting th8n*s can change.

Heck anyone who follows me knows I had to change my position on D’Angelo over the last year. What was true then may not be true now.

The world evolves. Stay tuned...
You and I have disagreed on some things and I love hearing that u admit ur wrong lol

Btw I am wrong quite often... but any decision is better than no decision in life ;)

Reactions: bobbop

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Yeah I’d put that chance of the Rangers signing Duchene at about 0%, regardless of how the draft plays out.

Awesome! That's great news. I really don't want him. Wish you had confirmed it sooner before I worried for nothing.

Thanks mate.

While I've got you, can you tell me who we'll trade for/sign as a future UFA for that massive hole at center we'll have? That would also ease my mind.

Yeahhhhhh, I'm gonna need you to tell me what the plan is, and also work this weekend mmm'kay? Great. No srsly tho, I want nothing to do with Duchene but if they're accelerating the rebuild timeline then they'll want to fill that gaping hole at center this season or next, and it's not coming from what we have in the cupboard, nor from anyone we can draft this season or next. So that's a big question mark.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeahhhhhh, I'm gonna need you to tell me what the plan is, and also work this weekend mmm'kay? Great. No srsly tho, I want nothing to do with Duchene but if they're accelerating the rebuild timeline then they'll want to fill that gaping hole at center this season or next, and it's not coming from what we have in the cupboard, nor from anyone we can draft this season or next. So that's a big question mark.
While I do not believe that accelerating is Gorton's plan, I think that there is a path for it. The issue is that far too many dominoes need to fall exactly where they need to for that to happen. Among them, is Gorton getting another top-12 pick to take one of the names he likes and being able to clear some of the Ss not named Skej on defense. Too many variables. I tend to think that Gorton will continue to be organic and opportunistic. The bottoming out is next year, but that will come with another lottery pick. And then the next phase can commence.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Awesome! That's great news. I really don't want him. Wish you had confirmed it sooner before I worried for nothing.

Thanks mate.

While I've got you, can you tell me who we'll trade for/sign as a future UFA for that massive hole at center we'll have? That would also ease my mind.

What is with the new thing on this board that when someone reads the situation and makes a completely logical educated guess about something the other person responds back with snark about how they aren't Nostradamus. Really odd.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This may be the first time since 2002-03 we have 6 Russians play for the Rangers in one single season.

Pavel Bure, Darius Kasparaitis, Alexei Kovalev, Roman Lyashenko, Vladimir Malakhov and Boris Mironov back then

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He played for the Russian national team in 2001-02 and 2003-04 so in 2002-03 he was definitely Russian haha

He only did that because Lithuania didn't have a national team and, I believe, he had citizenship in Russia as well or Soviet-era vets were allowed to choose to play for Russia (I'm not remembering the details on that part). If it was viable, he would've played for Lithuania.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He only did that because Lithuania didn't have a national team and, I believe, he had citizenship in Russia as well or Soviet-era vets were allowed to choose to play for Russia (I'm not remembering the details on that part). If it was viable, he would've played for Lithuania.

So in 2002-03 he was Russian

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That makes him Russian in my book :laugh:

I don't consider it the same thing. He played for Russia, but it was more of a choice to play at a high-level than anything else. Keep in mind, you can't play for anyone else for 5 years after an international tourney. So, for example having chosen to represent Russia in 1992, he couldn't play internationally for anyone else in the '96 World Cup. Then having chosen to play for Russia in 1996, he couldn't play for anyone else in 1998. Then 2002. Then 2006. In order to go back to playing for Lithuania, he would've had to skip a major international tournament somewhere in there despite being wanted by the Russians. Difficult choice, but I don't really believe the choice made him "Russian."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't consider it the same thing. He played for Russia, but it was more of a choice to play at a high-level than anything else. Keep in mind, you can't play for anyone else for 5 years after an international tourney. So, for example having chosen to represent Russia in 1992, he couldn't play internationally for anyone else in the '96 World Cup. Then having chosen to play for Russia in 1996, he couldn't play for anyone else in 1998. Then 2002. Then 2006. In order to go back to playing for Lithuania, he would've had to skip a major international tournament somewhere in there despite being wanted by the Russians. Difficult choice, but I don't really believe the choice made him "Russian."

The whole Soviet collapse made it a complicated issue. A similar issue with the collapse of Yugoslavia a few years later with players who could pick nationalities regardless of where they were born etc, which country to represent in sports or other events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad