Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
While I understand this sentiment... the rebuild will succeed or fail based on many players and decisions... not just this one that will be made for us. I could understand the fear more if we were picking #1

At this point tho, if the Devs take Kakko then we pick Hughes and it isn’t close.

Agreed. Not questioning who we take at all. Trying to believe the Rangers will build a perennial contender for once is hard to do but I’m working on it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Pretty clear what it means. We don’t know who will be the better player but ONE will actually be the better player. It’s also possible the better player is much better.

It’s very typical Rangers to get the worst possible outcome, e.g., the consensus #1 slips to us and is ultimately worse than Kakko. Even when we finally think the hockey gods have smiled upon us I worry about our 100 year history of mostly terrible luck. Not an unreasonable fear.

Huh? If the Devils take Kakko and he is the better player than that is just logical drafting. It's not like we are owed the best player in the draft at 2ND OVERALL.

If anything we are very fortunate to be drafting in this position in a draft where there are two players worthy of being the #1 pick.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
How do people go from "Lose for Hughes! Woo-hoo" all season to "Well let's hope Hughes is a good prospect"?

Rampant collective homerism. Since Kakko was unanimously our guy for the last month everyone has convinced themselves he is actually the better prospect.

It can't be based off 5 games in an essentially meaningless tournament that is nowhere near 'best on best'. Because that would be insane and short sighted.

What has happened the last week is not enough to override two years of sample size that has Hughes as the consensus #1 pick and a (poyential? Likely? Lock to be?) franchise center

Reactions: JCProdigy

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Agreed. Not questioning who we take at all. Trying to believe the Rangers will build a perennial contender for once is hard to do but I’m working on it.
I hear ya bro! But think of the radical changes in philosophy... the rebuild and coaching and the investment in youth, selling off the deadweight and planning for a long future.

The NYR have ALWAYS been about the quick fix since 1994... they have now invested in time and timing and a future. It’s exciting (and I’m a realist / pessimist) BECAUSE they’re not counting on one player. There are a myriad of options everywhere.

(I say most of this to convince both you and myself lol)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Rangers were a perennial contenders for several years. I think the playoffs this year have proven that is the best you can hope for. No one is happy when they don’t win but only one team gets to go home with the grand prize.

What the Ranger have never done before is draft a boatload of players. This was only possible because they decided to tear down a pretty good but not good enough roster and accumulate young assets and draft picks. They have been able to monetize a roster that would have had a shot at the playoffs. The one team comparison that comes to mind is the Atlanta Braves. I can’t think of another NHL that has gone a similar route. (Ottawa maybe?) although Ottawa feels like a fortunate occurrence rather than a plan.

Last edited:

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Wow even more competition for the fall. What I love about this offseason is that while we are still a ways from contending, there is practically no safe spots on this team. The kids are really going to push each other to truly earn their spots. For the fans who went through the Dark Ages and all of the mercenaries we had, this is such a change.

rangerfan2

Jul 12, 2007
Acting as if he’s a Ranger already is what it means. I’ve seen everything go wrong with this team over 40 years. Wouldn’t be happy if Hughes falls to us and Kakko is the better player. Very Ranger like scenario. One nice lottery moment doesn’t erase the bad mojo for me. Hard to truly believe we’re suddenly lucky now.

AND THIS:

It’s very typical Rangers to get the worst possible outcome, e.g., the consensus #1 slips to us and is ultimately worse than Kakko. Even when we finally think the hockey gods have smiled upon us I worry about our 100 year history of mostly terrible luck. Not an unreasonable fear.

I just read these posts and thought to myself , FINALLY, SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT! There is far too much optimism around here. The Rangers have never been lucky, and nothing in Ranger fandom is every easy for the fans. I think what we eternal-pessimist diehards are trying to say is, history has shown us that we think whatever can go wrong will, we will make the wrong decision even when there is only 1 choice, and the cost of winning, even just once, is a high price to pay that takes a LONG TIME to pay off.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I just read these posts and thought to myself , FINALLY, SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT! There is far too much optimism around here. The Rangers have never been lucky, and nothing in Ranger fandom is every easy for the fans. I think what we eternal-pessimist diehards are trying to say is, history has shown us that we think whatever can go wrong will, we will make the wrong decision even when there is only 1 choice, and the cost of winning, even just once, is a high price to pay that takes a LONG TIME to pay off.
I too am sad when it’s sunny out just because I know one day in the future it’ll rain

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
ah good point. for some reason i was thinking he was a UFA. we'll definitely give him a QO and then look to trade him if needed, we won't just let him walk away
I would think the Rangers have a chat with Claesson and do whatever he asks them to do. He's not in their long-term plans. And he's young enough that he might be able to carve out a better role with a different team. Generally this is how the team operates, I think. And it's one of the many reasons players gravitate to the Rangers.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I have no idea how anyone is pessimistic about the direction of this team. People are actually mad about the chance to draft Jack Hughes/Kaapo Kakko and are using the “nothing good ever happens to us” as some kind of justification.

We have NEVER had a chance like this in our franchise’s history. There is no justification for being pessimistic. We have a top 5 prospect in Kravtsov and are about to add another in Kakko or Hughes. Add them to Chytil, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Lisa, and Howden. Our top 6 looks like it will be great for the next 5-10 years. Gorton has added Fox, Miller, and Hajek to DeAngelo and Skjei and we have Lundkvist, Rykov, and Lindgren in addition to a chance to draft another D man this year with #20 or one of our other picks. We also have Georgiev who looks like he could be an NHL started with one of the best goalie prospects in the world behind him.

Being pessimistic about this rebuild reflects on your own misery more than it does on the outlook for the Rangers future, and don’t say you’ve seen this before because you have not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers have never been lucky, and nothing in Ranger fandom is every easy for the fans. I think what we eternal-pessimist diehards are trying to say is, history has shown us that we think whatever can go wrong will, we will make the wrong decision even when there is only 1 choice, and the cost of winning, even just once, is a high price to pay that takes a LONG TIME to pay off.
Even as the card-carrying President (sorry Melnyk, unless you show yourself, I outrank you right now) of the Rangers "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" club (Ron Francis stupid friggin' 150 foot goal in the playoffs, anyone?) I will say that this FEELS a bit different. Call it cautious optimism. Trust, but verify.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Even as the card-carrying President (sorry Melnyk, unless you show yourself, I outrank you right now) of the Rangers "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" club (Ron Francis stupid friggin' 150 foot goal in the playoffs, anyone?) I will say that this FEELS a bit different. Call it cautious optimism. Trust, but verify.
Wanna like this post more than once.

I don’t know about rankings as far as “NYR whatever can go wrong will” club but if there are rankings... I’m f***ING Shaquille O’Neil in ‘Blue Chips’

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I have no idea how anyone is pessimistic about the direction of this team. People are actually mad about the chance to draft Jack Hughes/Kaapo Kakko and are using the “nothing good ever happens to us” as some kind of justification.

We have NEVER had a chance like this in our franchise’s history. There is no justification for being pessimistic. We have a top 5 prospect in Kravtsov and are about to add another in Kakko or Hughes. Add them to Chytil, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Lisa, and Howden. Our top 6 looks like it will be great for the next 5-10 years. Gorton has added Fox, Miller, and Hajek to DeAngelo and Skjei and we have Lundkvist, Rykov, and Lindgren in addition to a chance to draft another D man this year with #20 or one of our other picks. We also have Georgiev who looks like he could be an NHL started with one of the best goalie prospects in the world behind him.

Being pessimistic about this rebuild reflects on your own misery more than it does on the outlook for the Rangers future, and don’t say you’ve seen this before because you have not.
I think everyone's pretty happy. Not seeing much negativity. Certainly not a significant amount.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
What a win if we can rid ourselves of Smith and Shatty

Skjei ADA
Staal Fox
Hajek/Rykov - Pionk/Claesson

Upcoming: Miller/Lundkvist/Keene/Tarmo?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers need to be smart about this. They have quite a few prospects who are banging on the door with others most likely coming sooner rather than later. Lindgren, Rykov, Hajek, Fox and possibly even Bigras should be given some time in the NHL this season. They need to determine what they have in all of those guys this year as it’s very possible they may have kids like Lundqvist, Reunen and Miller in camp the following Fall. This isn’t even counting if a kid like Day or Keane develop well and push for a spot. In order to start this process for all of those players (and this assumes no further additions in this draft or through trades), they really need to open up a couple of spots on defense this season.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I mean, it's not 2004.

We just had a pretty damn good run, the doom and gloom is a little much. We really aren't some joke of a franchise or anything. We'll most likely be good again before the true clown clubs like Edmonton and Buffalo.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The Rangers need to be smart about this. They have quite a few prospects who are banging on the door with others most likely coming sooner rather than later. Lindgren, Rykov, Hajek, Fox and possibly even Bigras should be given some time in the NHL this season. They need to determine what they have in all of those guys this year as it’s very possible they may have kids like Lundqvist, Reunen and Miller in camp the following Fall. This isn’t even counting if a kid like Day or Keane develop well and push for a spot. In order to start this process for all of those players (and this assumes no further additions in this draft or through trades), they really need to open up a couple of spots on defense this season.

I think if you look around the NHL most successful teams have a lot of young Dmen. We absolutely must find a way to move at least 3 of the 4 veteran Dmen sooner rather than later.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think if you look around the NHL most successful teams have a lot of young Dmen. We absolutely must find a way to move at least 3 of the 4 veteran Dmen sooner rather than later.

just curious what teams you are referring to that is full of dmen under 23 with less than 3 years of experience with no veterans that are good?

Reactions: haveandare

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
This is the greatest rebuild in the history of the Rangers. We've never had this much young talent in the organization at any moment in time. We have talent everywhere. And what makes me really feel confident about it is having Kakko/Hughes as that elusive elite cherry on top to stir the drink. Shestyorkin has the numbers of an elite goaltending prospect. Georgiev looks like a starting goaltender. The defense doesn't have that true number 1 but has multiple number 2's. And we have another possible elite forward in Kravtsov to go along with half a dozen second liners. There is no team in the NHL with this embarrassment of riches. I didn't even count the young players we already have playing in team. Even if half of them are complete busts we can still kick some ass. We owe this all to Gorton. And lets be honest here, does Kappo Kakko look remotely close to a bust to you as it stands now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad