Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I just read these posts and thought to myself , FINALLY, SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT! There is far too much optimism around here. The Rangers have never been lucky, and nothing in Ranger fandom is every easy for the fans. I think what we eternal-pessimist diehards are trying to say is, history has shown us that we think whatever can go wrong will, we will make the wrong decision even when there is only 1 choice, and the cost of winning, even just once, is a high price to pay that takes a LONG TIME to pay off.

As a pessimistic diehard, I just need to add that what you are seeing the team do right now is completely unprecedented. While I agree that this team has not seen much good fortune over the years, it has also been the victim of some piss poor managerial decisions. The team is setting itself up to have some good luck for once, if you need it in those terms.

The “Rangers” thing to do would be to draft Podkolzin at #2 and rue our luck when he turns out to be a pedestrian talent, or as fans rue our luck that the bosses are as dumb as they are. Getting the Hughes/Kakko consolation prize is a completely different proposition.

Reactions: Off Sides

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Even as the card-carrying President (sorry Melnyk, unless you show yourself, I outrank you right now) of the Rangers "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" club (Ron Francis stupid friggin' 150 foot goal in the playoffs, anyone?) I will say that this FEELS a bit different. Call it cautious optimism. Trust, but verify.

For the record, I’m on the cautiously optimistic side too. Just occasionally wavering to worried given PTSD after 40 years of mostly bad outcomes.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
The only thing I dislike about getting Kakko is that we're going to trade for a center or overpay for Duchene most likely. Unless we manage to trade up and draft a center who they're positive is good enough and I don't see that happening (both aspects, trading up that high and/or hoping that's our guy).

With Hughes we chase Panarin. Though we still might do that even with Kakko.

We all have our wants and ultimate fantasy scenarios but regardless of how this plays out, and that may be us getting NO good free agent we could use (mostly I just want Panarin as a big ticket), not managing to trade up, not managing to move enough of the players we need/want to... it's still gonna be a fun year. We get a top player at #2. We pick 3 more times in rounds 1-2. We have the Russian armada coming over, none of which are anything to scoff at and that alone would be awesome. Add Hajek, Lindgren to see. Fox. Progression on guys like Chytil, hopefully Andersson. A full season of Lemieux. DJ Zbad who may continue to be what he was this past season. Buchnevich potentially taking the next step as he shows flashes and is still young enough. Even seeing what Strome can do.

It's a fun season even if everything else falls apart. We have all of the above. It's pretty awesome.

edit: I say this to myself as much as anyone else. I'm as pessimistic as they come with regards to our luck and how things work out. So I'll just see anything more that what I wrote above as gravy. I'm gonna go in appreciating the hell out of what we have and what's been done, growing pains and everything. If we manage to do even more?! Fantastic.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Bereglazov came over to immediately win a spot and looked completely unready, despite his strong play in the KHL. These guys need to demonstrate an NHL readiness before we establish they're going to push out veterans or make them expendable. Which is why you want as many talented prospects as possible--some will fail, no matter how good they project to be.

Prospects are treated differently in the leaggue, than free agents. If a free agent doesn't immediately play like a regular NHLer, he can forget about getting on a roster. Prospects are usually given way more chances.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Prospects are treated differently in the leaggue, than free agents. If a free agent doesn't immediately play like a regular NHLer, he can forget about getting on a roster. Prospects are usually given way more chances.

Bereglazov was 1 year older then compared to Rykov now. I considered Bereglazov a prospect when he was signed, even though he was undrafted

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Won’t life be grand if Kakko and Rykov turn into perennial Devils killers?

That’s the plan lol

Should be interesting to see who out of Rykov , Hajek , Lindgren step up. I think two make the team and Rykov w this khl clause helps keep him around if he does well in camp

I think Skjei stays and Staal is not tradeable so Smith is likely gone ideally by trade and Claesson is a depth AHL guy if he clears ... will be up and down as a spare too

Reactions: Synergy27

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The only thing I dislike about getting Kakko is that we're going to trade for a center or overpay for Duchene most likely. Unless we manage to trade up and draft a center who they're positive is good enough and I don't see that happening (both aspects, trading up that high and/or hoping that's our guy).

With Hughes we chase Panarin. Though we still might do that even with Kakko.

We all have our wants and ultimate fantasy scenarios but regardless of how this plays out, and that may be us getting NO good free agent we could use (mostly I just want Panarin as a big ticket), not managing to trade up, not managing to move enough of the players we need/want to... it's still gonna be a fun year. We get a top player at #2. We pick 3 more times in rounds 1-2. We have the Russian armada coming over, none of which are anything to scoff at and that alone would be awesome. Add Hajek, Lindgren to see. Fox. Progression on guys like Chytil, hopefully Andersson. A full season of Lemieux. DJ Zbad who may continue to be what he was this past season. Buchnevich potentially taking the next step as he shows flashes and is still young enough. Even seeing what Strome can do.

It's a fun season even if everything else falls apart. We have all of the above. It's pretty awesome.

edit: I say this to myself as much as anyone else. I'm as pessimistic as they come with regards to our luck and how things work out. So I'll just see anything more that what I wrote above as gravy. I'm gonna go in appreciating the hell out of what we have and what's been done, growing pains and everything. If we manage to do even more?! Fantastic.
Yeah I’d put that chance of the Rangers signing Duchene at about 0%, regardless of how the draft plays out.

Reactions: jas and NYRFANMANI

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know that I agree with this; I think it all depends on the caliber of the player. Bereglazov for instance would have most certainly had many more chances to make the NHL had he himself not chosen to leave and go back to the KHL, as was his right. I mean whether a draft pick or a UDFA, everyone is on an ELC. There'd be no reason to favor one over the other. I could get into tons of situations with guys like Graves who never had a chance to play here, and then guys like Pionk and Gilmour who aren't even good jumped him on the depth chart. Etc.

But I digress. My point was you don't move out veterans or other established roster players just because you add an additional prospect to the mix (drafted prospect or UDFA, it's irrelevant). Prospects bust. Adding Rykov is great but we don't suddenly prepare to move Skjei because Yegor is in the fold.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
As a pessimistic diehard, I just need to add that what you are seeing the team do right now is completely unprecedented. While I agree that this team has not seen much good fortune over the years, it has also been the victim of some piss poor managerial decisions. The team is setting itself up to have some good luck for once, if you need it in those terms.

The “Rangers” thing to do would be to draft Podkolzin at #2 and rue our luck when he turns out to be a pedestrian talent, or as fans rue our luck that the bosses are as dumb as they are. Getting the Hughes/Kakko consolation prize is a completely different proposition.
Branch Rickey: “Luck is the residue of design”

Reactions: Synergy27 and Cag29

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don't know that I agree with this; I think it all depends on the caliber of the player. Bereglazov for instance would have most certainly had many more chances to make the NHL had he himself not chosen to leave and go back to the KHL, as was his right. I mean whether a draft pick or a UDFA, everyone is on an ELC. There'd be no reason to favor one over the other. I could get into tons of situations with guys like Graves who never had a chance to play here, and then guys like Pionk and Gilmour who aren't even good jumped him on the depth chart. Etc.

But I digress. My point was you don't move out veterans or other established roster players just because you add an additional prospect to the mix (drafted prospect or UDFA, it's irrelevant). Prospects bust. Adding Rykov is great but we don't suddenly prepare to move Skjei because Yegor is in the fold.

While it should go without saying, there's also the caveat that prospects don't generally step-in and take 1st pair minutes.

It's would not only be premature, but very possibly detrimental to our young guys development if we were to just rid ourselves of several of the veterans to make room for 3-4 prospects.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Also played about 21 minutes a night for Sochi!!

I am so low-key excited for this kid. We always talk about our lack of D. We just have a lack of experienced D and I think Quinn is a great guy to develop all these backend kids. This season we have TDA coming in with a chip on his shoulder, Staal as a leader with Skjei, definitely Hajek. I think the rest go save for Pionk maybe (if we can obviously get rid of Smith/Shatty) and Lindgren comes up. It already to me looks better than last year and has a ton of promise with possibly even more talented young D coming in the following season.

I think I’m changing my username to “Exciting Times.”

Reactions: Leetch3

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The roster will change come expansion but who needs protecting in 2 yrs

Assume Skjei , DeAngelo are around

These kids are all draft exempt ?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Or he may corrobate the FO wanting to stay away.
Yes he might. The big learning here is that situations and perceptions change. Make one organizational change and the light shines a little differently. Players standing in the organization change over time and performance dictates constant reordering of the overall situation. Again, not advocating, just noting things can change.

Heck anyone who follows me knows I had to change my position on D’Angelo over the last year. What was true then may not be true now.

The world evolves. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The roster will change come expansion but who needs protecting in 2 yrs

Assume Skjei , DeAngelo are around

These kids are all draft exempt ?
Yes, the 2017 draft and onwards kids will be exempt, Rykov will be exempt, Shesty will be exempt

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad