Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's almost shocking how many people want to buyout players now so we have cap space we dont need. I guess their strategy for building s Reiner is to have their cap hit when we need the cap later? Almost shocking. But I know where I am

It's one of the most consistent, illogical things I see posted on here. We're trying to be contenders when these guys contracts are gone; extending their cap hit to reach beyond what they're already signed for is ludicrous.

It isn't even as if the "blocking a kid" arguement in grounded in reality. ADA got piles of minutes when he wasn't getting tough lessons on being a pro. Even Hajek came up for those five games and got 16:24 AvgTOI.

Last edited:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Assuming Skjei is locked in at LD, that leaves 2 spots.

Smith can be the 2nd LD (on a terrible team, anyway) the 3rd LD or the 7th D or a RD or a winger or end up in HFD or whatever. They've never had a problem benching or demoting him, so he is not a concern and definitely should not be bought out.

Staal? Staal's continued existence as a Ranger concerns me, but its probably better than buying him out. He's awful but they wont bench him, they can't demote and they probably can't trade him so hes locked in the lineup, which leaves some sticky scenarios if the kids look ready. If two of Rykov, Hajek and Lindgren show they are ready, what happens? What happens if both Rykov and Hajek look ready, but Hajek is the better of the two? Do they demote Hajek because Rykov will go back to Russia? Not deferring cap hits is probably the best play until you know for sure the young D are ready, but there is a chance its a little messy.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Smith can be the 2nd LD (on a terrible team, anyway) the 3rd LD or the 7th D or a RD or a winger or end up in HFD or whatever. They've never had a problem benching or demoting him, so he is not a concern and definitely should not be bought out.

Staal? Staal's continued existence as a Ranger concerns me, but its probably better than buying him out. He's awful but they wont bench him, they can't demote and they probably can't trade him so hes locked in the lineup, which leaves some sticky scenarios if the kids look ready. If two of Rykov, Hajek and Lindgren show they are ready, what happens? What happens if both Rykov and Hajek look ready, but Hajek is the better of the two? Do they demote Hajek because Rykov will go back to Russia? Not deferring cap hits is probably the best play until you know for sure the young D are ready, but there is a chance its a little messy.
Smith was either the 4th or 5th LD on a bad Ranger team last year. AMFYOYO

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
From what I have read, Hajek has the higher upside and I think that is reflected in their draft positions. If everything goes right, I think he has the chance to be a mainstay on the 2nd pairing. Rykov strikes me as defensive 3rd pairing guy who has the ability to slot in on the 2nd pairing in a pinch.

Disagree. Rykov's reasonable expectations are of a puck moving 2nd pair D (#3). His upside is to be a very capable #2. Not unlike Hajek. Not going into a hypothetical argument who's better I think their potential is very close though I personally like Rykov better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Smith was either the 4th or 5th LD on a bad Ranger team last year. AMFYOYO

He wasn't worse than Staal.

I don't know where this fallacy that Staal had a strong season is coming from, he didn't.

And before the "OH HE PLAYED ALL THE HARD MINUTES" arguments come in, he performed just as poorly against weak competition as he did against strong competition.

Reactions: McRanger

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

exactly, ultimately buying out Staal is likely more beneficial to the rebuild and development of Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren and Crawley than having Staal stall somebody's development.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

I'd go with

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Hajek - Fox
Rykov/Lindgren - DeAngelo
Pionk

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He wasn't worse than Staal.

I don't know where this fallacy that Staal had a strong season is coming from, he didn't.

And before the "OH HE PLAYED ALL THE HARD MINUTES" arguments come in, he performed just as poorly against weak competition as he did against strong competition.

The problem with Staal and guys like them is that their mistakes and problems usually aren't nearly as visible as a guy like Smith who will make some high profile gaffs now and then either with the puck or with positioning.

Reactions: McRanger

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I'd go with

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Hajek - Fox
Rykov/Lindgren - DeAngelo
Pionk

I would be shocked if I see Shattenkirk play another regular season game for the Rangers. Even if Fox is not yet ready, Shatt is easily replaced by Smith who can play the RD.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The problem with Staal and guys like them is that their mistakes and problems usually aren't nearly as visible as a guy like Smith who will make some high profile gaffs now and then either with the puck or with positioning.

This is true, but glaring mistakes were there from Staal too.

If he gets grossly outplayed at camp by a rookie as he was last year, he better be the extra. Giving him a spot just because was cute last year, but it shouldn't fly going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad