Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tthat would only be possible if their contract has an opt out or the team and player agree to mutual termination of the contract.
Can an NHL team not loan a player out on a temporary transfer, say, until training camp begins?

EDIT: Or have some open-ended loan arrangement, where the Rangers retain the right to recall the player. Like when Lias Andersson was loaned to Frolunda in 17-18 and we decided after the WJC to recall him from loan.

Honestly with Andersson already loaned out, the only other player I could realistically see this happening with is Reunanen.

Last edited:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
AHL announcing a start date may keep some players from being loaned, but that date is just a hopeful guess

Reactions: bobbop

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm not left with a lot of optimism for Rykov as a Ranger. Injuries, struggled to adjust to North American game, scratched in the AHL. He can turn it around but I've seen this story so many times and it usually ends one way.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I'm not left with a lot of optimism for Rykov as a Ranger. Injuries, struggled to adjust to North American game, scratched in the AHL. He can turn it around but I've seen this story so many times and it usually ends one way.

I don't really understand what happened, why that injury took so long and why they first raved about him in Hartford and then scratched him. And especially how it went in Hartford with Lias, Kravtsov, Reunanen, Rykov, etc. I wonder if there are possibly issues with the coaching staff.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't really understand what happened, why that injury took so long and why they first raved about him in Hartford and then scratched him. And especially how it went in Hartford with Lias, Kravtsov, Reunanen, Rykov, etc. I wonder if there are possibly issues with the coaching staff.
High ankle sprains take a loooong time to get back to 100%, they might be close to worst case scenario

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rykov wasn't good. They scratched him because he wasn't playing well, and (possibly--disputed report) had an upper-body injury at that time.

Reunanen's deal was that he would come over for camp and if he didn't make the Rangers, would be loaned back to his Liiga team. That was the deal. It surprised everyone when the Rangers assigned him to Hartford's camp because that wasn't "supposed" to happen.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Rykov wasn't good. They scratched him because he wasn't playing well, and (possibly--disputed report) had an upper-body injury at that time.

Reunanen's deal was that he would come over for camp and if he didn't make the Rangers, would be loaned back to his Liiga team. That was the deal. It surprised everyone when the Rangers assigned him to Hartford's camp because that wasn't "supposed" to happen.
Forget it, he's rolling.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can an NHL team not loan a player out on a temporary transfer, say, until training camp begins?

EDIT: Or have some open-ended loan arrangement, where the Rangers retain the right to recall the player. Like when Lias Andersson was loaned to Frolunda in 17-18 and we decided after the WJC to recall him from loan.

Honestly with Andersson already loaned out, the only other player I could realistically see this happening with is Reunanen.

Yes. Loan agreements usually include an opt out, but it still needs to be added to the standard contract. If they don't, it's just a contract that they are tied to until the season ends.

When I look at the Wolf Pack team and have to project players where they'd go in Europe, I would say the NA kids are tough to place.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
KHL Media
@khlmediateam
@hccska
signed a bilateral contract for one season with defender Yegor Rykov

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So how exactly does that work?

Doesn't the EAC mean he has to be assigned to the AHL next season before he can go back? Unless the Rangers are just doing him a solid and allowing him to go because of the circumstances

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not familiar with the term "bilateral contract" so I don't know. I can only speculate as to what that means. I still don't understand it as he's under the contract to the Rangers and therefore can't sign a contract with any other IIHF team or non-IIHF-affiliated team that the NHL has an agreement with (which includes the KHL, where the agreement is to honor each other's contracts).

I figure there will be all sorts of weird things going on given the unusual circumstances.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'm not familiar with the term "bilateral contract" so I don't know. I can only speculate as to what that means. I still don't understand it as he's under the contract to the Rangers and therefore can't sign a contract with any other IIHF team or non-IIHF-affiliated team that the NHL has an agreement with (which includes the KHL, where the agreement is to honor each other's contracts).
I figure there will be all sorts of weird things going on given the unusual circumstances.

yeah i thinking probably it is really just announcing a loan, (like Lias to SHL HV71),
but with ambiguous language, made more ambiguous by casual translation

then, in summer'21, NYR can choose to tender a QO and retain his NHL rights

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Regarding the "bilateral contract" it is a bad translation. It means a two-way contract (двусторонний) as you know from NHL-AHL, the same with KHL-VHL/MHL.

Other poster writes an example with SHL & loan. It is legally different situation because a NHL club can recall a player from SHL loan anytime while it can not be done with KHL (Rykov). It is legally done as follows, Rykov-CSKA-NYR agreed that Rykov will spend all 2020-21 season in CSKA. Period.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and cwede

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ah. Well if he's playing in the KHL next season, we can likely kiss him goodbye. We can retain his NHL rights after next season with a qualifying offer, but he'd be free to sign in the KHL. I doubt he'll want to come back to North America to try to win a spot when he can be a reliable, high-end player in the KHL.

This is more or less how I expected it would play out.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
getting crazier, apparently DRW loaning Zadina and Seider to their home Euro leagues to start those season

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That injury in Traverse City f***ed up Rykov's entire season. I had a high ankle sprain once and it took me about 9/10 months to get over. Kind of like you're dragging a ball and chain around with you everywhere you go. Rykov ended up back on the ice playing in the AHL and if I remember the reports weren't great about his ability to move around. Probably rushed it. Hurting and not moving around well makes you susceptible to other injuries.

For me that's a wasted season and hardly worth counting. He should be able to get back to where he was---the question is if he does are we going to have lost the player in the meantime. I could see a few years down the road Rykov playing for another NHL team and it will be like the Ryan Graves complaining (why did we give up on him?) deja vu we hear now.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->