Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Rykov coming over is signaling to me that Brady is on the block. Rykov is expected to be 2LD and has played with men(our new favorite Kakko..ism).
Brady and Kreider are our chips to acquire the following
Right Defense
Top 15 draft picks
NHL ready trades...WNylander etc..

It allows us to try to trade for a need with our depth
PS the last 2 quality assets that we have to trade

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The money part of it is the least of it unless the team is planning on going super hard into unrestricted free agency. I would try to sign Panarin and if accomplishing that I would stop right there. To me paying Smith $4.35 to be a bottom pairing defensemen or a 4th line forward or a scratch and maybe blocking someone like Rykov or Hajek from making the team means he has to go some way or other and soon.

I would move Shattenkirk too. Too many similar skillsets and you should go with the younger cheaper players especially if you have an older declining vet who has not lived up to expectations. I'd probably move Pionk too--not that I hate him but we need someone dissimilar on the right--a bigger and more defensive minded (and hopefully more physical) presence that can be depended on in defensive and penalty kill situations. Staal I think has a full NMC and is not going to be easy to move. Any case he is the left side bigger defensive presence. Overpaid for sure but I think we're going to be going another year with him. Maybe buy out his last year next summer.

Absolutely agree with all of this (how many times I said it lately under your posts!!). To me the question is timing. Would the Rangers be able to get a 4th rounder for Claesson during the season? Smith can stay as a hybrid 4th liner/7th D injury fill in until some would be willing to give us anything at TDL if the Rangers retain. Same with Shattenkirk to give him a chance to rebuild his value, though there’s more urgency there because of the sameness in 4 our RD corp.

I really wonder what’s Gorton’s plan for D this offseason either via trade or UFA market. Lundkvist is at least another year away and anyway he’d be just adding to RD sameness I mentioned above. The Rangers need some size there, preferably top4 if not the first pair long term option.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Rykov coming over is signaling to me that Brady is on the block. Rykov is expected to be 2LD and has played with men(our new favorite Kakko..ism).
Right Defense
Top 15 draft picks

Maybe in a few years you can talk moving Skjei but they won’t w rookies who haven’t earned their spot yet

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Even without any more moves (which we know will happen) this is shaping up as the greatest offseason in teams history.

1. Drafting a prospect with loftiest expectations ever at the time of the draft
2. Russian invasion that includes a top goalie prospect outside of NHL, a top forward prospect and a defensive prospects who’s probably the likeliest to surprise
3. A high profile college prospect

This is all without even knowing what happens at a draft where the Rangers have a few high picks to play with, or the front office and coaching moves in the AHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right Defense
Top 15 draft picks

Bereglazov came over to immediately win a spot and looked completely unready, despite his strong play in the KHL. These guys need to demonstrate an NHL readiness before we establish they're going to push out veterans or make them expendable. Which is why you want as many talented prospects as possible--some will fail, no matter how good they project to be.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
The money part of it is the least of it unless the team is planning on going super hard into unrestricted free agency. I would try to sign Panarin and if accomplishing that I would stop right there. To me paying Smith $4.35 to be a bottom pairing defensemen or a 4th line forward or a scratch and maybe blocking someone like Rykov or Hajek from making the team means he has to go some way or other and soon.

I would move Shattenkirk too. Too many similar skillsets and you should go with the younger cheaper players especially if you have an older declining vet who has not lived up to expectations. I'd probably move Pionk too--not that I hate him but we need someone dissimilar on the right--a bigger and more defensive minded (and hopefully more physical) presence that can be depended on in defensive and penalty kill situations. Staal I think has a full NMC and is not going to be easy to move. Any case he is the left side bigger defensive presence. Overpaid for sure but I think we're going to be going another year with him. Maybe buy out his last year next summer.

Oh I know it's not a concern, I just wanted to point it out because it's... impressive, in a bad way.

I agree with your points. Though Shattenkirk will be hard to move unless he's part of some package and we have something not super desirable coming back as well. On the flip side, even if he is declining I do think he could have a bounce back season as he adapts and heals up and it's not terrible to have a guy who played his whole career as a top tier level player of said similar style to ADA and Fox. Maybe ADA did or is still learning from him. Fox certainly could. Don't think we'd get any less for him at the TD, and potentially a decent amount more if he's used correctly and is healthy... a lot of ifs, but that's all we can do at this point. Wonder aloud. Regardless, we won't get a lot and will certainly have to retain for anything decent.

I 100% agree and want someone dissimilar on the right. If Fox pans out and ADA continues then I would certainly love a right side of those two with someone bigger and more defensive. Agreed. We've got all our bigger defensive guys on the left until Miller (offense), and all our smaller offensive guys on the right. Though Skjei on the left is an all around guy who would be perfect playing less and having less expected of him. He's a good 2nd pairing with the correct righty, perhaps said bigger defensive guy we want =)

Staal and Smith have their values and uses, but not at those prices and not all three at once (including Shattenkirk here). So it's basically rookies with aging vets that should be bottom pairing guys or 7th on rotation that can play bigger minutes when needed here and there and mentor in the new class. Just need to find the right pairings, see who sticks out of camp and who isn't ready, and what deals (if any) make sense for us. Another buyout right now (or next season) is annoying but may be required.

I'd love to see a versatile mix of defense that can adapt to different teams strategies and be shifted around in terms of pairings and minutes played, depending. Quick, agile, puck-moving, with some guys who can play physically and crease clear. I guess I just summed up every team's desire. We won't have a top 10 defense any time soon but we don't really need to. We just need to evolve the right pieces and acquire what's missing to make it something good, or at least a lot better than it currently is (was).

Shame Skjei isn't (prime) McDonagh 2.0 like we thought he'd be. If we had that, our solid top pairing lefty, all of this would be a lot easier to plan.

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Qualifying Claesson is a no-brainer for me. Someone might even want to give up a late pick for him as camp moves on.
Especially since he'd be so cheap and is a good depth dmen to have. Defensive depth is always a must, regardless of how bad your team is. If anything, he forces internal competition, and some adversity will be good for these younger guys. Make them earn it.

Reactions: DanishRanger

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Oh I know it's not a concern, I just wanted to point it out because it's... impressive, in a bad way.

I agree with your points. Though Shattenkirk will be hard to move unless he's part of some package and we have something not super desirable coming back as well. On the flip side, even if he is declining I do think he could have a bounce back season as he adapts and heals up and it's not terrible to have a guy who played his whole career as a top tier level player of said similar style to ADA and Fox. Maybe ADA did or is still learning from him. Fox certainly could. Don't think we'd get any less for him at the TD, and potentially a decent amount more if he's used correctly and is healthy... a lot of ifs, but that's all we can do at this point. Wonder aloud. Regardless, we won't get a lot and will certainly have to retain for anything decent.

I 100% agree and want someone dissimilar on the right. If Fox pans out and ADA continues then I would certainly love a right side of those two with someone bigger and more defensive. Agreed. We've got all our bigger defensive guys on the left until Miller (offense), and all our smaller offensive guys on the right. Though Skjei on the left is an all around guy who would be perfect playing less and having less expected of him. He's a good 2nd pairing with the correct righty, perhaps said bigger defensive guy we want =)

Staal and Smith have their values and uses, but not at those prices and not all three at once (including Shattenkirk here). So it's basically rookies with aging vets that should be bottom pairing guys or 7th on rotation that can play bigger minutes when needed here and there and mentor in the new class. Just need to find the right pairings, see who sticks out of camp and who isn't ready, and what deals (if any) make sense for us. Another buyout right now (or next season) is annoying but may be required.

I'd love to see a versatile mix of defense that can adapt to different teams strategies and be shifted around in terms of pairings and minutes played, depending. Quick, agile, puck-moving, with some guys who can play physically and crease clear. I guess I just summed up every team's desire. We won't have a top 10 defense any time soon but we don't really need to. We just need to evolve the right pieces and acquire what's missing to make it something good, or at least a lot better than it currently is (was).

Shame Skjei isn't (prime) McDonagh 2.0 like we thought he'd be. If we had that, our solid top pairing lefty, all of this would be a lot easier to plan.
Maybe Miller is that guy? Top LD?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The certainty around Kakko makes me even more certain the Devils snatch him first. Hughes better be fantastic.
The Devils have been posting Hughes highlights on their official Twitter page. Would be really strange if they passed him. Rangers are sitting pretty. All the pressure is on the Devils to pick the right guy.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
The Devils have been posting Hughes highlights on their official Twitter page. Would be really strange if they passed him. Rangers are sitting pretty. All the pressure is on the Devils to pick the right guy.
They've been posting a lot of Kakko highlights too

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
What does this even mean? There is just as much certainty around Hughes. We should be praying the Devils take KK. But they won't, because they're not morons.

Acting as if he’s a Ranger already is what it means. I’ve seen everything go wrong with this team over 40 years. Wouldn’t be happy if Hughes falls to us and Kakko is the better player. Very Ranger like scenario. One nice lottery moment doesn’t erase the bad mojo for me. Hard to truly believe we’re suddenly lucky now.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
How do people go from "Lose for Hughes! Woo-hoo" all season to "Well let's hope Hughes is a good prospect"?

Easy. 40 year fan where literally almost NOTHING goes right for this team outside of one amazing season. Yankees have good fortune. NY Giants mostly do as well. Rangers are by far the unluckiest team I follow.

And I said let’s hope he’s FANTASTIC not a good prospect. Of course he’ll be a solid NHL player at worst. It would be very Ranger for the very rare late switch of 1-2 prospects work against us that’s all.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Acting as if he’s a Ranger already is what it means. I’ve seen everything go wrong with this team over 40 years. Wouldn’t be happy if Hughes falls to us and Kakko is the better player. Very Ranger like scenario. One nice lottery moment doesn’t erase the bad mojo for me. Hard to truly believe we’re suddenly lucky now.

What does this even mean? There is just as much a likelihood (if not more) that KK could become a mediocre NHL player and Hughes becomes a franchise player.

I do not think KK is the better prospect. And would be ecstatic to get Hughes. Even if you think that KK is marginally better, to be disappointed in getting Hughes would be nuts.

The only reason you and others are obsessed with the idea of KK is because our board has already subjected ourselves to getting him since the Devils are almost assured to take Hughes first.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Right Defense
Top 15 draft picks

If Smith is done as a LD option, we have Skjei, Staal and Hajak there. Behind them we might have Smith on the 4th line. Hajak showed promise, but he might not be ready. Will Gilmour stay here?

I think it’s good to get Rykov in the mix. He will need a number of games in the AHL to adjust to the NA game. How will he react to the high tempo NA style? Those hyper fast changes of direction in the play.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
What does this even mean? There is just as much a likelihood (if not more) that KK could become a mediocre NHL player and Hughes becomes a franchise player.

I do not think KK is the better prospect. And would be ecstatic to get Hughes. Even if you think that KK is marginally better, to be disappointed in getting Hughes would be nuts.

The only reason you and others are obsessed with the idea of KK is because our board has already subjected ourselves to getting him since the Devils are almost assured to take Hughes first.

Pretty clear what it means. We don’t know who will be the better player but ONE will actually be the better player. It’s also possible the better player is much better.

It’s very typical Rangers to get the worst possible outcome, e.g., the consensus #1 slips to us and is ultimately worse than Kakko. Even when we finally think the hockey gods have smiled upon us I worry about our 100 year history of mostly terrible luck. Not an unreasonable fear.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If our guy "only" has a Taylor Hall-type career or even an RNH-type career, it's disappointing against expectations but way better than average for 7th or wherever we were. It's all house money, have fun with it.

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
If our guy "only" has a Taylor Hall-type career or even an RNH-type career, it's disappointing against expectations but way better than average for 7th or wherever we were. It's all house money, have fun with it.
In what world is a Taylor Hall-type career disappointing? Some of y'all gotta temper your expectations or you're gonna be disappointed no matter what.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009

Good sentiment. Hard to do in reality when we FINALLY have a chance to built something great with this pick.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Pretty clear what it means. We don’t know who will be the better player but ONE will actually be the better player. It’s also possible the better player is much better.

It’s very typical Rangers to get the worst possible outcome, e.g., the consensus #1 slips to us and is ultimately worse than Kakko. Even when we finally think the hockey gods have smiled upon us I worry about our 100 year history of mostly terrible luck. Not an unreasonable fear.
While I understand this sentiment... the rebuild will succeed or fail based on many players and decisions... not just this one that will be made for us. I could understand the fear more if we were picking #1

At this point tho, if the Devs take Kakko then we pick Hughes and it isn’t close. We move on confident our center position is solid (and maybe solid gold)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad