Rangers Season Ticket Holders - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The only thing that worries me is when the Rangers go through a tough patch of losing seasons, how can a STH sell tickets at the prices they are charging now.

It will be difficult unless you have the best seats in a price category. Either that or find a couple people who actually want to go to the games and have them split the tickets with you. Don't be stuck with a lot of crappy tickets or you'll be left holding the bag.

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
It will be difficult unless you have the best seats in a price category. Either that or find a couple people who actually want to go to the games and have them split the tickets with you. Don't be stuck with a lot of crappy tickets or you'll be left holding the bag.
I agree! I know that once the Rangers become less competitive, at the prices they are charging now, I see alot of people giving up their seats.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
I agree! I know that once the Rangers become less competitive, at the prices they are charging now, I see alot of people giving up their seats.

I know there's a belief by some that Ranger season tix will always be valuable but imo the end is nigh.

1)My tix cost $122 /ea next season.

2)The last time NY failed to make the playoffs I paid $40/tix (2005?)

3)Recessions are cyclical. The world is long overdue. Forgetting "worst case" am i paying $122+ to see a non playoff team in a lasting recession? What percentage of my subscription could be recaptured in a perfect storm? In addition, As tix prices go up the cost of selling the tix rise.

My point... at $50/tix no problem. At $150 tix, I'm thinking a very long time (especially thinking about $150 exhibition games).

I know quite a number of subscribers who will not renew if they couldn't get most of their money back from resales. If tix are a tougher sell, the TV looks better and better.

The quality seats will hold more value to a subscriber unless MSG continues to fully price these tix as well.

What is the real hardcore season subscriber base, at this price level if tix are tough to move?

My guess 10,000-12000 season subs at most.

Perhaps MSG will give coupons for free popcorn to induce us to continue to renew? Butter anyone?

Last edited:

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I know there's a belief by some that Ranger season tix will always be valuable but imo the end is nigh.

3)Recessions are cyclical. The world is long overdue. Forgetting "worst case" am i paying $122+ to see a non playoff team in a lasting recession? What percentage of my subscription could be recaptured in a perfect storm? In addition, As tix prices go up the cost of selling the tix rise.

My point... at $50/tix no problem. At $150 tix, I'm thinking a very long time (especially thinking about $150 exhibition games).

I know quite a number of subscribers who will not renew if they couldn't get most of their money back from resales. If tix are a tougher sell, the TV looks better and better.

The quality seats will hold more value to a subscriber unless MSG continues to fully price these tix as well.

What is the real hardcore season subscriber base, at this price level if tix are tough to move?

Perhaps MSG will give coupons for free popcorn to induce us to continue to renew? Butter anyone?

Well said. I think PSLs won't be far behind at this rate. I am still shocked that they have the nerve to raise by 13%. I have never seen anything like this that's not due to renovations or new buildings. I can afford it but part of me just wants to say screw it. I don't want to be subjected to this every year. It's not like we are the Blackhawks.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

We're gonna reach the point where we find out soon. It's just crazy to think about it. Where are we going to be at in say 10 years? You know ticket prices will never decrease so are my upper center 200's (next season $74) gonna be $125? Where is the breaking point? What will actually force them to lower prices or keep them steady for a bit?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Well said. I think PSLs won't be far behind at this rate. I am still shocked that they have the nerve to raise by 13%. I have never seen anything like this that's not due to renovations or new buildings. I can afford it but part of me just wants to say screw it. I don't want to be subjected to this every year. It's not like we are the Blackhawks.

I don't think MSG has the balls to attempt PSL's. They would have attempted that after they renovated if they were going to go for it.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I will put together a chart but just FYI 100% percent of Rangers seats in the upper bowl are now more expensive than the same Knicks tickets. Ditto downstairs except for the courtside ring of seats

Every, single, ticket - higher than the Knicks, some by a lot.

What gets me is that even though they are charging us more, we get way less perks (like no open bar at events) and much less special events invites. The marketing material is nicer on the Knicks side, they also have a meet the team night now.

If they're going to charge this much it's time to up the perks at a minimum - I am definitely taking this up with my rep

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I will put together a chart but just FYI 100% percent of Rangers seats in the upper bowl are now more expensive than the same Knicks tickets. Ditto downstairs except for the courtside ring of seats

Every, single, ticket - higher than the Knicks, some by a lot.

What gets me is that even though they are charging us more, we get way less perks (like no open bar at events) and much less special events invites. The marketing material is nicer on the Knicks side, they also have a meet the team night now.

If they're going to charge this much it's time to up the perks at a minimum - I am definitely taking this up with my rep

This is what happens when one team is coming off 3 out of 4 years of Eastern Conference Finals appearances as well as a Stanley Cup Final appearance and the other is coming off a 17 win season along with years and years of mediocrity.

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
I remember when the Jets moved into Metlife, everyone wanted to get seats upstairs because there was no psl. Fast forward, now nobody wants tickets even upstairs. I bought Jets season tickets last year, 10 yard line, Row 3. Every single game except for the Pats and Eagles game my seat could've been bought for less than Face value, sometimes half of face value. No demand. This year there is no way that I will renew. I will just buy the same tickets on stubhub. Let's not mentioned preseason football in which you pay face value and your lucky to get $7 a ticket.

My Knicks ST for games that I could not attend I sold for face value with no difficulty at all and the team is not even competitive. So if I can get at least my money back I have no problem renewing. Once I can not get my money back for either the Rangers or Knicks, it's time to give them up.

MSG knows that right now the Rangers are a hot ticket, my rep reminds me everytime I call, but that will change and with high prices the regular guy will leave. We know MSG has its corporate STH that will always stay but they should really not raise prices by over 10%, it's not like we have won the cup 4 out of the last 6 years.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Its never been like this. Yea sure prices have increased but now they are being ridiculous. More money for new subs too, crazy. All this comes down to one thing... fact that these idiots are public now, they have shareholders to answer to and they are finding every possible way to monetize. But we all know nothing grows forever and i firmly believe that this cant go on forever. Dolan has always been greedy but we havent seen anything like this in past, last couple of years have been brutal

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Its never been like this. Yea sure prices have increased but now they are being ridiculous. More money for new subs too, crazy. All this comes down to one thing... fact that these idiots are public now, they have shareholders to answer to and they are finding every possible way to monetize. But we all know nothing grows forever and i firmly believe that this cant go on forever. Dolan has always been greedy but we havent seen anything like this in past, last couple of years have been brutal

I am wondering if the thought is last grab before dark times.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013

How many years does Henrik has left? Imagine Raanta is our starting goalie and how much our tickets can fetch. I think the revival of the knicks secondary market is tie to KP.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Rangers last missed in the 09-10 season. Shootouts ... :shakehead

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I remember when the Jets moved into Metlife, everyone wanted to get seats upstairs because there was no psl. Fast forward, now nobody wants tickets even upstairs. I bought Jets season tickets last year, 10 yard line, Row 3. Every single game except for the Pats and Eagles game my seat could've been bought for less than Face value, sometimes half of face value. No demand. This year there is no way that I will renew. I will just buy the same tickets on stubhub. Let's not mentioned preseason football in which you pay face value and your lucky to get $7 a ticket.

MetLife was constructed to separate you from your money. A buddy of mine was just offered Giants tickets six rows from the top of the Stadium in a shady corner. PSL = $1,000 each. I guess someone finally gave up their seats, PSL be damned. He passed. He and I both agreed there is no good reason to give a team a one-off in order to perpetually pay higher and higher ticket prices...

The Upper Bowl at Met Life is so far removed from the action, it begs you to sit at home and watch on TV. I can't blame you for giving up your Jets tickets. Why should you front the risk? So you pay over for a game here and there when the weather is good and you are able to go.

Professional sports is running out of ways to generate more revenue.

MSG knows that right now the Rangers are a hot ticket, my rep reminds me everytime I call, but that will change and with high prices the regular guy will leave. We know MSG has its corporate STH that will always stay but they should really not raise prices by over 10%, it's not like we have won the cup 4 out of the last 6 years.

It's not as if ownership can claim they need it for payroll... The league is salary capped..

My greens were $26 when I started. Next season, $92.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

They know they will be able to sell them should several subscribers give them up. They are looking short-term. Three years from now is three years away, and they aren't going to worry about it at this time. A battle for tomorrow.

As far as it being the dark times... When the sun sets on the core of this team, the accountants will state that they made the correct financial decision, in that by raising the prices drastically in one season they've made a bigger profit than if they spread it across several season, not as if they won't raise them again next year...

I expect my seats to be north of $100 two seasons from now. And then I really have to ask myself? $9000 for what?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Take one of those 0% credit card offers that that come in the mail and put it on that for 6 months. You're going to regret giving them up.

bingo - i do that every season. its the way to go. take advantage how you can and make it work.

looking to do this too to finance the subs - do you just cancel the card after you pay down the balance and re-up the next year?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
found this buried in the terms:

"7. MSG’s policy is to limit to four (4) the number of per-game Tickets any single customer may purchase, control, coordinate, manage or direct
in connection with either a Knicks or Rangers season through one or more Season Ticket or Partial Plan Season Subscriptions. MSG may
determine, in its sole discretion, whether multiple Subscriptions are for a “single customer,” which term shall include (without limitation) any
of the following: a business entity, or other organization; a family or household unit; a set of accounts that are in any way tied, linked, or
related to a specific individual, entity, or organization; or any other group of individuals, entities, or organizations that MSG has determined, in
its sole discretion, is in any way affiliated with each other or under common ownership, control or direction. A prospective purchaser may not
avoid the four-Ticket limit by purchasing, controlling, coordinating, managing or directing Subscriptions through, for example, aliases, separate
forms of payment, separate corporate entities or third parties. MSG reserves the right to enforce this ticket limit policy strictly, including by
refusing to sell Subscriptions that would cause this policy to be violated, and by revoking Subscriptions relating to any account determined
after initial purchase to have violated this policy. MSG also reserves the right to make exceptions to this policy, in its sole discretion. For
example, for the 2016-17 Knicks and Rangers seasons, certain subscribers may be permitted to purchase up to eight (8) Tickets if they held
that many for the prior season.
"

https://www.nyrsubcentral.com/invoice/renewal
(click "EMAIL >")

Last edited:

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
looking to do this too to finance the subs - do you just cancel the card after you pay down the balance and re-up the next year?

I stopped doing this because of hits on my credit and the monthly cash I have to put up is only about $1000 per month. I'm OK with that. Normally, I'd sign up for a card, get the sign up rewards and cancel it a year later.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
MetLife was constructed to separate you from your money. A buddy of mine was just offered Giants tickets six rows from the top of the Stadium in a shady corner. PSL = $1,000 each. I guess someone finally gave up their seats, PSL be damned. He passed. He and I both agreed there is no good reason to give a team a one-off in order to perpetually pay higher and higher ticket prices...

The Upper Bowl at Met Life is so far removed from the action, it begs you to sit at home and watch on TV. I can't blame you for giving up your Jets tickets. Why should you front the risk? So you pay over for a game here and there when the weather is good and you are able to go.

Professional sports is running out of ways to generate more revenue.

It's not as if ownership can claim they need it for payroll... The league is salary capped..

My greens were $26 when I started. Next season, $92.
The difference is, you are not getting Giants tickets for less than face value. I have PSL's in the upper deck, row 21 on about the 30-35 yard line, and I always get almost double whenever I put them on the exchange. Triple for popular games like dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad