Tickets: Rangers Season Ticket Holder Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
hello all...considering 14-15 season as my first to be a STH.
is it feasible to just get the least expensive ticket in the garden (400s back rows) for a full season?
it seems like that'd be the least expensive option, which eventually will drives decision.
i read the first 20 some pages of this thread and it seemed like as a new STH, most people were saying they put you in the lower bowl...really?
i would definitely not be able to afford that.

Then you probably wont be able to get season tickets for the Rangers. If you time it right certain seasons new subscribers were able to get more than a single in the upper bowl. It is worth getting lower bowl seats for a year then moving upstairs if you plan on keeping your seats.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
is it feasible to just get the least expensive ticket in the garden (400s back rows) for a full season?
it seems like that'd be the least expensive option, which eventually will drives decision.
i read the first 20 some pages of this thread and it seemed like as a new STH, most people were saying they put you in the lower bowl...really?

It is worth getting lower bowl seats for a year then moving upstairs if you plan on keeping your seats.

Not if he can't afford the lower bowl seats.

phillyb, yes from what I understand, only way new people are getting in nowadays is through the lower bowl. The upper bowl has very little turnover and when it does, it seems like lower bowl people are looking to move up.

Only way I would advise to buy lower bowl seats is if you plan to go to most games, I would say at least 30. Or, if you have a group that you could put together to split it up. If you go that route, get the money up front. Every season ticket holder on here knows at least 1 person who in July always wants 5 or 6 games, but in September or October when it is time to ante-up, all of a sudden they can't do it.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
cool thanks. i'd imagine that the 400s are less desirable than the 200s and i think i'd be looking at a single, not a pair.
we'll see.
i've also reached out to a STH i've bought a couple of tickets from to get his input as well.
thanks!

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
They don't sell the back rows as full season, maybe a handful are there - but they sell 95%+ individually. If you want a pair you have to start out in overpriced sections of the lower bowl. You can also have a shot at singles in the upper bowl which you should jump on if you get the chance

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Im just happy to be in the building, ha. I hope the view of the ice is okay. Not sure what to expect, but either way it is going be an experience.

I sat there for game 6 of Pens series. View is good, similar to West Balcony.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
They don't sell the back rows as full season, maybe a handful are there - but they sell 95%+ individually. If you want a pair you have to start out in overpriced sections of the lower bowl. You can also have a shot at singles in the upper bowl which you should jump on if you get the chance

cool thanks.
yeah, i think a single is probably the only way i can justify this. i plan on going to 30+ games.
i might start with a half season or find out about the mini-plans. but we'll see.
i philled out the phorm last night to have a rep contact me.

thanks guys!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
cool thanks. i'd imagine that the 400s are less desirable than the 200s and i think i'd be looking at a single, not a pair.
we'll see.
i've also reached out to a STH i've bought a couple of tickets from to get his input as well.
thanks!

400s might be less desirable...but there are a lot less of them than there are 200s. And considering they are the cheapest seats in the house there are always people looking for them.

OKnumber25

Mar 26, 2012
400s might be less desirable...but there are a lot less of them than there are 200s. And considering they are the cheapest seats in the house there are always people looking for them.

The first row or 2 in the 400s are actually very desirable, but the view deteriorates rapidly as the row number increases, and the last couple of rows are considered obstructed. It is doubtful that tickets will be available in the lower rows since most are held by long tenured STH (like myself) who will continue to renew. I consider my row 1 seats in the corner to be one of the best bangs for the buck in the house.

OKnumber25

Mar 26, 2012
There is also the mini-plan option. It gets you in the door and presumably gives you priority over the waiting list to upgrade to a full season the following year. My friend purchased a 10 game mini, 2 seats, bridge barstool, for $140 per seat this season. They allowed him to purchase all playoff games this year as well. He's trying to get a full plan in either the 200s or 400s for next season. I'll report back when he hears more.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
There is also the mini-plan option. It gets you in the door and presumably gives you priority over the waiting list to upgrade to a full season the following year. My friend purchased a 10 game mini, 2 seats, bridge barstool, for $140 per seat this season. They allowed him to purchase all playoff games this year as well. He's trying to get a full plan in either the 200s or 400s for next season. I'll report back when he hears more.

I did a mini plan last year, got a full playoff strip, and am a first year STH this year (row 2 gallery seats). I think I was an outlier, but getting in with a smaller plan def helps.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007

Have you sat down with anyone from the Rangers yet? I just met my rep. and my good friend who also works for MSG this afternoon before tonights game for lunch and asked them basically the same question you just asked " what will it take to become a STH for the least amount of money" and they both also answered at the same time that now is not the time to slide into something cheaply. Apparently MSG has been receiving a much larger amount of ST requests in the past 10 days the suits at MSG realize the market is hot and will almost certainly try to steer you to the lower bowl for 1 year or more. If you eventually want to get seasons upstairs you might want to bite the bullet and put a deposit downstairs for a season especially if you plan on going to 30 games and then move upstairs to something more affordable. Another option I was told is to put your name on a waiting list for Bridge Seating which should be available next year and pay a slight premium for the season.
Either way just get seasons to get your foot in the door because you wont regret it. Being a STH is something that very few regret especially when the team is doing good!

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
makes sense.
might just start a mini plan for next season then.
and no...haven't actually spoken with anyone yet since i've been serious.
spoke to someone in february about a mini plan in the 200s.
but i wasn't ready to pull the trigger.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Doubtful. I don't remember the last time they did it, but STH got an email before the general public. If they make the finals, I can see them opening it up.

Didn't they do it last year? Don't remember. In the last couple of years they had viewing parties in tariffs bars as well as MSG and even the Ziegfeld Theatre. I haven't seen any invites for anything similar this year, just their hockey town.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Didn't they do it last year? Don't remember. In the last couple of years they had viewing parties in tariffs bars as well as MSG and even the Ziegfeld Theatre. I haven't seen any invites for anything similar this year, just their hockey town.

Before this year though the Rangers were the last show in town so nothing was booked other than the rangers since as soon as the season ended, they were gutting the place for the next face in remodeling

Now they're booking every possible day they can so it just might not be available

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Before this year though the Rangers were the last show in town so nothing was booked other than the rangers since as soon as the season ended, they were gutting the place for the next face in remodeling

Now they're booking every possible day they can so it just might not be available

Liberty are home tomorrow night so they couldn't do it.

But you're correct, there was nothing booked the past couple of years beyond early April because of the renovation. They did do one two years ago for game 4 v. New Jersey. Last one before that IIRC was in 07 v. Buffalo for game 5.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

They have had viewing parties at the usual bars they go to, they just haven't promoted it as much.

EDIT - Here's the viewing party for game 5.

viewingparty_052714b.jpg

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=97709&navid=DL|NYR|PLAYOFFS

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
guys with full season plans, how many games do you go to a season, and for the games that you can't go to are you pretty much guaranteed to beak even in the secondary market?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
guys with full season plans, how many games do you go to a season, and for the games that you can't go to are you pretty much guaranteed to beak even in the secondary market?

Depends a good bit on what price point your seats are in. I have Row 2 Gallery Seats and while I may on occasion get stuck with a pair (usually but not always poor planning on my part) I have ended up + at the end of every season for the past several years. I'm fortunate in that my seats are among the best value in MSG and on the good end of the ice...so I generally don't have much trouble moving them for at least face. If you have lower level corners that may not always be the case, particularly early on in the season or against crappy opponents.

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
Yeah, I have always wanted to get in on the action, but now with a family it is really hard. I would still like to make it happen, but I would like to break even on the games I can't go to (in total, not necessarily per game) without much effort.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah, I have always wanted to get in on the action, but now with a family it is really hard. I would still like to make it happen, but I would like to break even on the games I can't go to (in total, not necessarily per game) without much effort.

Sounds like your best bet would be to get a couple people to commit sharing the seasons with you. That's what I did quite a few years back. The first time I split them I did a 4 way share...then one guy moved away so I did a 3 way split the next year. After a few seasons it was down to 2 of us...and after I moved upstairs a couple seasons ago I've been on my own. That's fine because the team has been good, tickets are in demand, and my seat location far better than years ago. Might be worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad