Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sabres -- 4/1/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We are in an era of load management, tanking for draft picks, and shipping off valuable veterans to clear cap space to form supers-teams in the offseason. Spare me the “win at all costs every night,” mantra. The winners in sports no longer subscribe to it.

I hate a lot of those concepts but they are what they are. So don’t tell me that winning every game has to come before developing Kakko and Lafreniere, especially when it’s so blatantly clear that winning the ultimate prize is so heavily reliant on turning them into stars.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Raging?

Explaining that fans are angry at the wrong guy is raging?

I'm the one who's happy they won.

I'm not the one hurling personal insults, typing in caps, and frothing. That's another guy.

The “Who, me?” routine now?

You were being arrogant and condescending. Let’s not add hypocrisy to the list.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Quinn is clueless regarding player usage. Trouba has atrocious puck skills and shouldn't be on for a 3 on 3. Blackwell has had a nice season, but with the talent that we have he shouldn't sniff the ice in OT or on the PP. Kakko and Chytil should be playing in all situations going forward.
This is the only issue that the Quinn Haters and I agree on. I’d like to see Kakko and Lafreniere get more PT. But the way I see it, he’s getting to the right place with Kakko, just slower than I would have hoped. So I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt with Lafreniere.
Well, that, and the slow starts to games. But I think there are lots of positives too. So I’m not complaining.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I also want to go make sure I’m clear: I’m not actually saying to fire Quinn.

But he has to change some of his approaches, like, fricking right now.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Something needs to be done about the pp. They weren't facing Ullmark. It just looks so stagnant minus the "pretty" passing. At some spots Strome playing the point with Fox wtf. It's never gonna happen but a lefty shot along the right boards would be worth a shot.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
If Quinn wants that strome line to be defensively responsible towards the end of the 3rd period then you replace strome with rooney not kakko. Kakko is the one picking up strome's slack back in the dzone because strome doesn't know what he's doing back there. I'm pretty sure I read someone here call kakko a defensive liability...guy must be a time traveler stuck watching last season's games

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This team has a 23-year-old defenseman who played over 28 minutes tonight and is a front runner for a f***ing Norris trophy.

Get off of this daycare shit already.
Literally noone ever complains about how he uses young dmen, because its fine. They also have first and second overall picks who have combined for under 20 points and one of them cant get consistent icetime to save his life. Do you expect people to not be angry about that?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Chytil was clearly one of the better Rangers today. Hit the crossbar, scored. Yet Quinn shat on his production to play veterans simply because they are veterans... this is blatant hypocrisy. You can't say the young guys have to earn it, and then not reward them when they IN FACT have earned it.
He played Blackwell over Chytil, only an idiot thinks you have a better chance winning with Blackwell than Chytil in OT.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I know advanced stats say faceoffs “don’t matter” but the game doesn’t go to overtime if the Rangers have a reliable faceoff man.

Yeah, I don't buy that either. Sure, if you look at them as a whole, they don't appear to matter, but there are some individual faceoffs that are extremely important; you need a guy that can win those.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Not understanding the "he wants to win" vs. "Quinn sucks" debate. Chytil has been producing all season. He's had his best points per 60 numbers--by a wide margin. He's currently pacing for ~20+ goals and 40+ points over an 82 game season. As a 21 year old. With ZERO time on the powerplay. Who is only getting 13:30 minutes per game on average (the lowest of his four year career, and nearly a minute and a half LESS per game than he got last year). If he's pacing for 20/40 with Quinn skating him in scrub minutes, how much more do you think he'd put up with PP time and decent usage? Chytil has earned it and then some, and this jackass is going to drive him right off the team.

Just look at the time distribution tonight-- Zib playing 25 minutes overall with 6+ on the power play. Strome with 22 minutes overall and 6 on the powerplay. Zib should be getting Strome's numbers, Strome should be around 20 minutes even. That would free up ~5 minutes of TOI (about 2 of which should be PP TOI, giving the first unit ~4+ minutes and the second unit 3+ minutes). Put Chytil on the 2nd unit instead of Blackwell. Put Laf on the 2nd unit instead of Miller or Trouba. Boom, young guys are now getting an additional 3 minutes of 5v5 TOI and 3:30 minutes of sheltered PPTOI for a total of ~16:30 ice time for Chytil and 14:30 for Laf. You can develop and win at the same time.

Frankly, I want to see Chytil move up between Bread and Kakko, and see what Strome can do between Laf and Kravtsov.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I know advanced stats say faceoffs “don’t matter” but the game doesn’t go to overtime if the Rangers have a reliable faceoff man.

Faceoffs matter, situational faceoffs matter. I was always a reliable faceofff guy, i had two types of draws i was good at, I used those two moves when it was imperative i win those draws, i used other methods in other areas as to not tip my hand. Stats dont tell that story. Bergeron can be 55 percent all night but you can be guaranteed he's winning that last second draw in his own end a majority of the times.

Reactions: eco's bones

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not understanding the "he wants to win" vs. "Quinn sucks" debate. Chytil has been producing all season. He's had his best points per 60 numbers--by a wide margin. He's currently pacing for ~20+ goals and 40+ points over an 82 game season. As a 21 year old. With ZERO time on the powerplay. Who is only getting 13:30 minutes per game on average (the lowest of his four year career, and nearly a minute and a half LESS per game than he got last year). If he's pacing for 20/40 with Quinn skating him in scrub minutes, how much more do you think he'd put up with PP time and decent usage? Chytil has earned it and then some, and this jackass is going to drive him right off the team.

Just look at the time distribution tonight-- Zib playing 25 minutes overall with 6+ on the power play. Strome with 22 minutes overall and 6 on the powerplay. Zib should be getting Strome's numbers, Strome should be around 20 minutes even. That would free up ~5 minutes of TOI (about 2 of which should be PP TOI, giving the first unit ~4+ minutes and the second unit 3+ minutes). Put Chytil on the 2nd unit instead of Blackwell. Put Laf on the 2nd unit instead of Miller or Trouba. Boom, young guys are now getting an additional 3 minutes of 5v5 TOI and 3:30 minutes of sheltered PPTOI for a total of ~16:30 ice time for Chytil and 14:30 for Laf. You can develop and win at the same time.

Frankly, I want to see Chytil move up between Bread and Kakko, and see what Strome can do between Laf and Kravtsov.

Chytil isn't a pp type player at least not yet anyway, theres nothing wrong with him its just not his thing or the way he plays, same thing with Hagelin, Grabner etc.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I'm 50/50 on DQ. But Blackwell and Trouba on the 3rd trio in OT was a disaster.

I get that we needed a guy to take a defensive zone draw and Strome/Zib weren't ready to come back on. And Chytil's injury prohibits him from taking big draws right now. But Blackwell and Trouba on the ice together in OT when possession is everything was really frustrating. Outside of Buch there were no possession players out there. I mean at least go with Lindgren. And if DQ knew this was goign to happen, why didn't he put Strome out there with Kakko? And then Kreids with Buch? Kreids can take a faceoff and is better at possession than Blackwell. Just a really short-sighted deployment that should have been planned for BEFORE OT started. Even the way Blackwell scrambled out there to take a faceoff because he wasn't originally scheduled to go out there. Just sh---y coaching.

If you're not going to play Kakko in OT against the Sabres... man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad