Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Remembering now why I don't go on the main prospect boards for our guys. Being told by morons things like Krav shoulda been a 3rd round pick in 2018 and that Podkolzin is better than him.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Well to be honest, Kravtsov was looking like he was 50/50 to be a bust last year. Patience is something GM's have but not fans. Thank the hockey gods that Kravtsov has moved big time to the direction of non bust. Still can't believe we got Lafreniere. I wake up every day and still can't believe it. Unless Gorton trades him for Eichel. I would be pissed if he did that but I am confident he won't. I could see him giving Lafreniere a 10 year, 100 million extension after his first season. I think he will be that good right away.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
At this point, given our depth on the wings, I really doubt we ever see Pajuniemi play for the Rangers, but I can totally see him being dealt either for a similar level center prospect or as the second piece in a deal for a current NHL player and going on to have a solid ~8 year run where he regularly pots 20-25 goals and 40-50 points.

by the time he comes over say it could 3 years as an example, things can change. maybe he steps in the NHL at 24 years old without AHL time. what a foolish thing to say. so let's trade Robertson, Miller and Lundkvist since DeAngelo Lindgren and Smith are on the team now. Lets trade Kravtsov and 1st overall because Kreider and Panarin are here long term

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At this point, given our depth on the wings, I really doubt we ever see Pajuniemi play for the Rangers, but I can totally see him being dealt either for a similar level center prospect or as the second piece in a deal for a current NHL player and going on to have a solid ~8 year run where he regularly pots 20-25 goals and 40-50 points.

does he have 2ed line potential or is that asking too much? if he has another 20 goal season in the Sm-Lilga could that be a considered steal considered where he was drafted, or is he Fast replacement?

I think he has a shot at making it, but he's not ready yet. Probably one more year before signing his ELC, then a year with TPS on loan before starting in Hartford. The timeline IMO for him in a Rangers jersey is 2023.

I always compared him to Benoit Pouliot. He has the offensive skill to make the NHL, but needs to focus on the holes in his game. Rangers are on top of this, with regular calls and sending Pajuniemi video footage on what to focus on (They do the same with Henriksson).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's hard to know with guys like Pajuniemi because the offense is predicated on finding time and space. Even if you put everyone on the same-sized sheet of ice, there's nothing that compares to the speed of the NHL. If you're going to be a guy who lives and dies on finding soft spots to fire one-timers and things like that, you gotta be damn good, have excellent hockey sense, and the ability to see plays developing. If you can't do that, you won't find the creases and seams, or if you don't you won't find them quickly enough to shoot. And then you're Ryan Gropp, a mediocre AHL player.

You also need to make an impact fairly quickly so you can earn some PP time. Guys like Pajuniemi will thrive on the PP, but they have to get there first. Half his goals last year were on the PP. But stepping into the NHL, unless you're a really special player or are breaking in on a horrible team, you're not generally gifted PP time. So he's going to have to improve his 200-foot game (which he has done, somewhat) and learn to do the small things so you can hang around and make enough of an impact to get that coveted PP time.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

There is no way to know which of the ~20 F's, 23 and under, in NYR pipeline will follow which path.
Things continually change. most of us expected Keane to be around for more than just one half pro season

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It's hard to know with guys like Pajuniemi because the offense is predicated on finding time and space. Even if you put everyone on the same-sized sheet of ice, there's nothing that compares to the speed of the NHL. If you're going to be a guy who lives and dies on finding soft spots to fire one-timers and things like that, you gotta be damn good, have excellent hockey sense, and the ability to see plays developing. If you can't do that, you won't find the creases and seams, or if you don't you won't find them quickly enough to shoot. And then you're Ryan Gropp, a mediocre AHL player.

You also need to make an impact fairly quickly so you can earn some PP time. Guys like Pajuniemi will thrive on the PP, but they have to get there first. Half his goals last year were on the PP. But stepping into the NHL, unless you're a really special player or are breaking in on a horrible team, you're not generally gifted PP time. So he's going to have to improve his 200-foot game (which he has done, somewhat) and learn to do the small things so you can hang around and make enough of an impact to get that coveted PP time.

can't the Rangers scouts notice this when they watch these kids play. like is this player really that good or is only that good because of the skill of their linemates like Barzal. how can scouts not notice little things like that. like Ryan Strome. is Strome that good or only good cause of Panarin. Rangers scouts need to be better at that. maybe that is 1 reason our 1st round picks have not amounted to much of anything lately, not counting Lias Andersson although the Rangers should have knew about his attitude immature issues.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
can't the Rangers scouts notice this when they watch these kids play. like is this player really that good or is only that good because of the skill of their linemates like Barzal. how can scouts not notice little things like that. like Ryan Strome. is Strome that good or only good cause of Panarin. Rangers scouts need to be better at that. maybe that is 1 reason our 1st round picks have not amounted to much of anything lately, not counting Lias Andersson although the Rangers should have knew about his attitude immature issues.

If it was that easy, there would be no busts. Lots of kids have the skills and traits that could make them successful in the NHL, but those skills don't always translate for various reasons. Maybe a guy a step slow, and if he can improve his speed, he'd be an NHLer, but he never does. Or maybe he has a good shot, but can't find the space at the NHL level to use it. Every kid has something about their game that needs work.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If it was that easy, there would be no busts. Lots of kids have the skills and traits that could make them successful in the NHL, but those skills don't always translate for various reasons. Maybe a guy a step slow, and if he can improve his speed, he'd be an NHLer, but he never does. Or maybe he has a good shot, but can't find the space at the NHL level to use it. Every kid has something about their game that needs work.

Skating can always be worked on. I mean Derek Stepan is still in the NHL. i think a right fit as to do with some players never making it or making it years later like Pat Maroon who has 2 Stanley Cups. why didn't Pat Maroon sign with the Flyers a team that drafted him? but go on to have a good NHL career.

• Traded to Anaheim by Philadelphia with David Laliberte for Danny Syvret and Rob Bordson, November 21, 2010.
  • Traded to Edmonton by Anaheim for Martin Gernat and Edmonton's 4th round pick (Jack Kopacka) in 2016 NHL Draft, February 29, 2016.
  • Traded to New Jersey by Edmonton for J.D. Dudek and New Jersey's 3rd round pick in 2019 NHL Draft, February 26, 2018.
  • Signed as a free agent by St. Louis, July 10, 2018.
  • Signed as a free agent by Tampa Bay, August 24, 2019.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I’d imagine Pajuniemi is way more likely en route to a Teemi Pulkkinen like career rather than a 20-25G 40-50P career.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
upload_2020-10-1_15-40-15.jpeg

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Possible suspension for Lias Andersson. Will haev to wait for the official word from the SHL but here's the video:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain to me why teams continue to draft low ceiling/high floor guys high? Out of our 4 biggest busts of this Millennium (not counting Montoya, a goalie who never played for us), two were gritty low ceiling/high floor guys. McIlrath and Andersson. There was also Sanguinetti and Jessiman who don't fit that criteria. Anyway, neither McIlrath nor Andersson looked to even hit that floor. Andersson MIGHT be a mediocre 3rd liner or a decent 4th liner, but that's not good enough for #7 overall. I just don't get it. These high floor guys aren't necessarily high floor guys and their limited ceiling usually sticks. Are scouts just trying to keep the "toughness eh?" mentality because it's hockey mythology?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why teams continue to draft low ceiling/high floor guys high? Out of our 4 biggest busts of this Millennium (not counting Montoya, a goalie who never played for us), two were gritty low ceiling/high floor guys. McIlrath and Andersson. There was also Sanguinetti and Jessiman who don't fit that criteria. Anyway, neither McIlrath nor Andersson looked to even hit that floor. Andersson MIGHT be a mediocre 3rd liner or a decent 4th liner, but that's not good enough for #7 overall. I just don't get it. These high floor guys aren't necessarily high floor guys and their limited ceiling usually sticks. Are scouts just trying to keep the "toughness eh?" mentality because it's hockey mythology?
Andersson was a very well regarded prospect. As was Sanguinetti.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Andersson was a very well regarded prospect. As was Sanguinetti.

Well I wasn't including Sanguinetti in this and I don't care how well regarded Andersson was, he was always considered low ceiling, high floor. I feel like either the floor was overrated, or people thought 4th liner was good insurance for a #7 overall pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well I wasn't including Sanguinetti in this and I don't care how well regarded Andersson was, he was always considered low ceiling, high floor. I feel like either the floor was overrated, or people thought 4th liner was good insurance for a #7 overall pick.

Lias Andersson broke records in juniors, then was a contributor on a championship team in the 3rd best league in the world in his draft year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Possible suspension for Lias Andersson. Will haev to wait for the official word from the SHL but here's the video:

What did he even hit him with? His back? Back of shoulder? Weird hit. Doesn't seem predatory to me. Here it would probably be a fine or a game. Over there it's probably three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad