Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for the update. But is Traktor playing another team or did you accidentally type out your user password?

Hahaha. No, they are playing the team that would make you win at scrabble :laugh:

FYI: This morning Championat announced Kravtsov is sidelined for today's game as a precaution.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lundkvist had 2 PIM and 2 SOG, and was +1 in 19+.

Ragnarsson picked up just his third point, a primary assist. TOI was good again--three straight between 19-21 minutes.

Reactions: bl02 and kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
he is an underrated prospect in my opinion. i think he has NHL potential. and yes I still feel the same about Huska

This is why drafting goalies is fine (just not with top picks) when you have a starter already.

Georgiev will be replaced by Wall/Huska, the same way he replaced Pavelec, who replaced Raanta, who replaced Talbot, who replaced Biron etc etc.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is why drafting goalies is fine (just not with top picks) when you have a starter already.

Georgiev will be replaced by Wall/Huska, the same way he replaced Pavelec, who replaced Raanta, who replaced Talbot, who replaced Biron etc etc.

Maybe by Wall--from what I've seen of Huska so far I doubt it. I think Garand might be good though.

Looking at the next draft Jesper Wallstedt looks very much like a top pick to me.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe by Wall--from what I've seen of Huska so far I doubt it. I think Garand might be good though.

Looking at the next draft Jesper Wallstedt looks very much like a top pick to me.

Yes, but I don't care how good a goalie is. I would never use a 1st rounder on a goalie because in my opinion, goalie is the position that least impacts a team's success.

And yes, I know some people will jump at me for saying this. But let me explain:

An elite center compared to a good center has a bigger impact on the team's success than an elite goalie has compared to a good goalie.

Same goes, in my opinion, for defensemen.

If you have a team in front of a good goalie taking away quality shots, that good goalie can take you all the way to the Cup. It's no coincidence that the list of Cup winning goalies includes Cam Ward, Corey Crawford, Antti Niemi, Jordan Binnington, Matt Murray (both as a rookie).

Rinne, Lundqvist, Price and Luongo have 0

Does this mean you cannot with with an elite goalie? No. But in a salary capped league, you have to be careful how you spend the money.

Regarding drafting: You are more likely to find a good/elite goalie in the later rounds than you are to find a good elite forward or defenseman. Top picks should be used to find the players you are less likely to find later on. Price and Vasilevsky are great goalies and Askarov and Knight in recent years also warranted a 1st roud pick. I personally just don't think it's the best approach for a team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Huska is a bit like Georgiev, when he gets in a groove and really gets rolling, he's awesome. But then sometimes he comes out and basically from the start, he doesn't have it. I'm not really sure what happened last year; he started off well but then he just fell apart. Obviously the team around him was weakened by some recalls, removing Keane, having Rykov and Hajek both play poorly, etc., but he still just looked off the second half of the season. Hopefully he rebounds this year. I don't write goalies off until they get to the age of 25-27 or so, meaning Huska still has a few season so show something.

Wall for sure has the chance to overtake Huska and may do so right off the bat.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, but I don't care how good a goalie is. I would never use a 1st rounder on a goalie because in my opinion, goalie is the position that least impacts a team's success.

And yes, I know some people will jump at me for saying this. But let me explain:

An elite center compared to a good center has a bigger impact on the team's success than an elite goalie has compared to a good goalie.

Same goes, in my opinion, for defensemen.

If you have a team in front of a good goalie taking away quality shots, that good goalie can take you all the way to the Cup. It's no coincidence that the list of Cup winning goalies includes Cam Ward, Corey Crawford, Antti Niemi, Jordan Binnington, Matt Murray (both as a rookie).

Rinne, Lundqvist, Price and Luongo have 0

Does this mean you cannot with with an elite goalie? No. But in a salary capped league, you have to be careful how you spend the money.

Regarding drafting: You are more likely to find a good/elite goalie in the later rounds than you are to find a good elite forward or defenseman. Top picks should be used to find the players you are less likely to find later on. Price and Vasilevsky are great goalies and Askarov and Knight in recent years also warranted a 1st roud pick. I personally just don't think it's the best approach for a team.

Looking at this coming draft though---with the Covid and all---it looks to me like there is not going to be a consensus forward or defenseman at the top. Right now it's like it could be like 7/8 guys who could conceivably be the No. 1. It's going to be a weird year for this. To me the most outstanding player so far really is Wallstedt who already is proving he's a legit SHL goalie. Do you have your eye on a particular center or centers in this draft?

I also think the days of the 70 game a season + all of the playoffs goalie are over. That teams will be better off with two really good goalies instead of one and maybe an average or above average guy. Your take on the cap though is a good point and managing that over the next couple/three years with a flat ceiling is going to make or break the difference between taking next steps.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Huska is a bit like Georgiev, when he gets in a groove and really gets rolling, he's awesome. But then sometimes he comes out and basically from the start, he doesn't have it. I'm not really sure what happened last year; he started off well but then he just fell apart. Obviously the team around him was weakened by some recalls, removing Keane, having Rykov and Hajek both play poorly, etc., but he still just looked off the second half of the season. Hopefully he rebounds this year. I don't write goalies off until they get to the age of 25-27 or so, meaning Huska still has a few season so show something.

Wall for sure has the chance to overtake Huska and may do so right off the bat.

Huska to me has struggled a bit too much at the AHL level. To be fair Georgiev's AHL numbers weren't exactly stellar either. Huska and Wall should battle it out this year but then again there's only 24 games so I'm not sure that one is going to really have enough opportunity to be the guy until maybe next season. Reunanen will be the D to watch this year and Schneider if he doesn't end up back in the WHL.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huska to me has struggled a bit too much at the AHL level. To be fair Georgiev's AHL numbers weren't exactly stellar either. Huska and Wall should battle it out this year but then again there's only 24 games so I'm not sure that one is going to really have enough opportunity to be the guy until maybe next season. Reunanen will be the D to watch this year and Schneider if he doesn't end up back in the WHL.
Yeah Huska's numbers aren't pretty. Still, he's played 37 AHL games, which in a normal year would be only half of what you'd get in a time split. I look at it as the only guy in the past several years who has posted good numbers there over a meaningful amount of games has been Shesterkin. And they've had some decent guys--JF Berube, Tokarski, Mazanec, Georgiev--and they've all struggled to post even respectable numbers. It's hard to get a true feel on the ability level of these guys playing with such a weak team around them.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Huska was the goalie for the game I attended last year in Hershey. He had a big problem with rebound control in that game costing the Wolfpack 3 of the 4 goals he gave up. It's just one game but it was troubling. I wonder if others saw him play last year and noticed this as a problem or whether this game was just an outlier.

Yeah Huska's numbers aren't pretty. Still, he's played 37 AHL games, which in a normal year would be only half of what you'd get in a time split. I look at it as the only guy in the past several years who has posted good numbers there over a meaningful amount of games has been Shesterkin. And they've had some decent guys--JF Berube, Tokarski, Mazanec, Georgiev--and they've all struggled to post even respectable numbers. It's hard to get a true feel on the ability level of these guys playing with such a weak team around them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Henriksson was not in the lineup again.

Nothing for Lundkvist or Sjalin.

Edstrom with an assist and 4 hits in about 13 minutes.

Tarnstrom (HockeyEttan) with a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad