Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Is anyone here "In the know" about Lundkvist's chances of coming over here this spring and signing? It's getting close to the postseason over there, isn't it?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is anyone here "In the know" about Lundkvist's chances of coming over here this spring and signing? It's getting close to the postseason over there, isn't it?

Well...

We should post this as an announcement somewhere but:

Nils Lundkvist is contracted to both Luleå and the Swedish ice hockey federation as he is a national team player.

The SHL play offs end mid-May, but the international hockey calendar runs through to mid-June. With the NHL in full swing around the time of the World Championships, Lundkvist is a serious candidate to make the Swedish national team.

If that's the case, he will be playing hockey until mid-June and under contract until June 30th. For Lundkvist to move to NA before that, he would have to be released by both club and country.

I got this information from the PR manager of Luleå who I talk to regularly.

The earliest he can sign is June 30th, unless he is released before then by Luleå and the Swedish federation.

A PTO for Lundkvist is possible. Last season that was the plan. They even had the jerseys ready to go in Hartford for Lundkvist.

But it all depends on when he is released. He is under contract with not just his team but also the Swedish federation as a NT player, and the IIHF WC ends June 6th so that is the date I would look at. Without NHL players at the Worlds, Lundkvist's odds of making the team are pretty good.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd just never heard of a player being 'contracted' to the national team such that it interferes with club team activities

Players always sign a contract with their national federation before they can represent the national team. It's just the paperwork that comes with it. The same is true for American and Canadian players. But during the NHL season those countries don't play any games.

The contract runs until the end of the IIHF calendar. It has always been this way, but I guess it has never come up? I've mentioned this several times over the years with our EU players (Lundkvist, Reunanen, Pajuniemi, Shestyorkin, Kravtsov) playing for their NT as Rangers prospects.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It has always been this way, but I guess it has never come up? I've mentioned this several times over the years with our EU players (Lundkvist, Reunanen, Pajuniemi, Shestyorkin, Kravtsov) playing for their NT as Rangers prospects.
It only really ever comes up when you mention it.

Pretty much all NA hockey media (professional and otherwise) NEVER talks about that part, just that "X player is playing/expected to play for Y National Team." Contracts are never brought up, so it's easy to not remember/have at the forefront sometimes.

At the end of the day, it is a relatively minor thing that by-and-large makes sense without thinking too deeply about it. Because why would a player play for a team, be it national or pro-league, without a contract? No player in their right mind plays for anything without a contract of some kind.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Pretty much all NA hockey media (professional and otherwise) NEVER talks about that part, just that "X player is playing/expected to play for Y National Team." Contracts are never brought up, so it's easy to not remember/have at the forefront sometimes.

At the end of the day, it is a relatively minor thing that by-and-large makes sense without thinking too deeply about it. Because why would a player play for a team, be it national or pro-league, without a contract? No player in their right mind plays for anything without a contract of some kind.

I've always been interested in the business side of hockey :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Berard had the above goal.

Ragnarsson had 2 PIM and was +1 in 17:44.

Edström had 2 shots in 15 minutes.

Lundkvist had a goal and 4 shots in 26 minutes.

Själin had an assist and 2 shots in 15+.

Skinner playing now.

Reactions: bl02 and kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It’s not mentioned because normally prospects are not expected to be invited and therefore tied in with the national team.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
I'm eager to see Nils Lundkvist on the Rangers, same with Tarmo Reunanen. I'm wondering how long until Matthew Robertson and Braden Schneider will be NHL ready, if we try to acquire a top line C, we'll probably have to include 1 of them, and more.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Wouldn't surprise me. Shestyorkin got the max as well.

Shesty was a lot older though when he came over, and had much more of a track record, not just as a very good prospect, but as one of the best goalies in the world outside the NHL.

Even Fox only got 850k in bonuses, despite all the fanfare that preceded him. Miller got 300k in bonuses for this year, and 350k and 400k the next 2 years. My guess is that Lundkvist will get something similar to what Miller got, and perhaps a bit more, but not more than what Fox got.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shesty was a lot older though when he came over, and had much more of a track record, not just as a very good prospect, but as one of the best goalies in the world outside the NHL.

Even Fox only got 850k in bonuses, despite all the fanfare that preceded him. Miller got 300k in bonuses for this year, and 350k and 400k the next 2 years. My guess is that Lundkvist will get something similar to what Miller got, and perhaps a bit more, but not more than what Fox got.

Probably closer to Fox than Miller but I agree I don’t see the max.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I am not saying he gets it, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he does. Different players have different types of leverage.

Lafreniere got the max as the no 1 overall pick, Kakko slightly less as the no 2. I was honestly surprised Shestyorkin got the max when he signed so we will see. The performance bonuses will more likely hover around 500k-1m total though

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am not saying he gets it, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he does. Different players have different types of leverage.

Lafreniere got the max as the no 1 overall pick, Kakko slightly less as the no 2. I was honestly surprised Shestyorkin got the max when he signed so we will see. The performance bonuses will more likely hover around 500k-1m total though

Yeah, Barron got 850k, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nils got that as well. Shesty's bonuses will be done, but he needs a new contract. Sorokin got 2 mil on a 1 year deal, before ever playing in the NHL. I have to imagine Shesty gets more than that, but how much more? Hopefully we can lock him up for a long time at a reasonable number.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

With Shesterkin a part of consideration was enticing him to leave his cozy SKA situation where, if he wanted, he could have been a very well compensated #1 goalie and build a version of KHL hall of fame career.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic is at the end stages of his ranking of NHL teams' prospect rankings. He has the top 3 teams to go. Left are Ottawa, Los Angeles and the Rangers. His prospects for skaters include players under 23 before 1/1/21, not a full time NHL player and under NHL team control. So Adam Fox would be out, Lundqvist is in and Miller is in or out depending on when he made the decision of being an NHL full-time player. Prospects for goalies include players under 25 as of 1/1/2021 and not established as being part of an NHL tandem.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravtsov and Lundkvist will represent their countries in the upcoming Beijer Games. First games are playing Thursday.

The tournament takes place in Malmö. Russia and Sweden play each other on Saturday.

Reactions: Cmox

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We lose the rights to Sjalin this June, according to CF. Does he have a shot at making the shift to NA hockey?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We lose the rights to Sjalin this June, according to CF. Does he have a shot at making the shift to NA hockey?
He's had somewhat of a breakthrough this season in terms of playing good minutes on an SHL club, but I don't really see any high-end skills that would help him get to the NHL. If he were offered a contract, he seems more like AHL depth than anything, IMO.

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad