Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.12.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Agree but would note that Newell is 24.5, Jones will be 24 in June and Elmer is 21.5. Elmer also had a bigger jump from WHL than NCAA players. Let's see if Elmer grows next year. With the Rangers signing the 3 NCAA free agent centers I am not sure Jones gets an NHL contract.

Yeah Jones was fore sure better than Elmer in every aspect. I was really disappointed in what I saw from Elmer, which was basically nothing. Actually I can't even remember seeing Elmer.

Newell, I though he made more of an impact than his stats suggest. That said, given his age, he basically has to have a big AHL year next season or else he's probably never going to get a shot.

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think there are probably a good number of guys out there, maybe a little older, maybe without big pedigrees, who could do great work as role players on the Rangers. I hope the front office is willing to dig and give opportunities. Having high-cap depth players kills a teams chances, in my eyes. And with the cap likely stagnant or dropping, inexpensive depth could be more important than ever.

Well depth is always good, but he just deserves to play at least a couple of games. Might be a long shot with Miller and assumably Lundkvist coming over.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Well that's the other part of it--while I absolutely think the Rangers will resign Raddysh there is no way that as an RD he's going to beat out the likes of Trouba, DeAngelo or Fox and if Lundkvist shows up that's another player he'll be behind. I wouldn't let Raddysh go--that said he's kind of in no man's land as far as seeing the NHL with us unless we have a bunch of injuries.

Like I said above, depth is always good and I agree he'll be pushed down the depth chart. But he deserves a couple of games in the NHL, whether with the Rangers or not.

Reactions: eco's bones

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Elmer was never more than an average player in the AJHL. I probably seen him play a half dozen times, and I never even remembered who he was when we signed him.

There's no harm in giving him more time to grow, but his last WHL season has always smelled like an older kid taking it to the younger kids.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Elmer was never more than an average player in the AJHL. I probably seen him play a half dozen times, and I never even remembered who he was when we signed him.

There's no harm in giving him more time to grow, but his last WHL season has always smelled like an older kid taking it to the younger kids.

Playing with Cozens definitely helped

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Agree but would note that Newell is 24.5, Jones will be 24 in June and Elmer is 21.5. Elmer also had a bigger jump from WHL than NCAA players. Let's see if Elmer grows next year. With the Rangers signing the 3 NCAA free agent centers I am not sure Jones gets an NHL contract.
Thing with Elmer, it's very, very rare that a forward at any age has to play what amounts to a full year in the ECHL and later goes on to play in the NHL. If he were 19 or something I'd give him more of a shot, but the fact that he couldn't crack a Hartford team that really needed offensive help during his age 20/21 season does not bode well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thing with Elmer, it's very, very rare that a forward at any age has to play what amounts to a full year in the ECHL and later goes on to play in the NHL. If he were 19 or something I'd give him more of a shot, but the fact that he couldn't crack a Hartford team that really needed offensive help during his age 20/21 season does not bode well.

This is a valid point. I can't name a single player currently in the NHL who spent significant time in the ECHL

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is a valid point. I can't name a single player currently in the NHL who spent significant time in the ECHL
Burrows, Peverley, and Desharnais are the three forwards that always get mentioned when this point is made. And they were all a long time ago, relatively speaking.

There are plenty of goalies. A handful of defensemen. Most of the guys that play significant time in the ECHL that make it are goalies or goons, and there aren't that many goons anymore. And of course the goalie thing is just a result of the numbers game.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I don't think we disagree. The likelihood that either Newell or Jones or Elmer make the NHL is very small. My only point is that Newell and Jones are older and not likely to improve much. I'm not holding my breath on Elmer making an impact but he is a couple of years younger.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not sure if this was mentioned but Wall did not make the final 5 for the Mike Richter award.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
IMO if he could have signed a deal and played a bit in Hartford before the end of the year, then spent the summer training with his new/future teammates, he would have done it no problem. I don't doubt that he is somewhat open to playing at Cornell for his senior season, but I think he's just being diplomatic at this point.

would it be horrible if he leaves via UDFA. Karma biting us for signing the Hayes, Vesey, Pionk of the world. Does this have a chance of happening?

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
would it be horrible if he leaves via UDFA. Karma biting us for signing the Hayes, Vesey, Pionk of the world. Does this have a chance of happening?

absolutely. If he goes back he has the freedom of signing with any team in the league, coincidentally by then he will know what organization his little brother is drafted by. If Morgan goes back to Cornell he ends up in the same organization as Justin no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Barron isn’t going to go UFA

A lot of college kids are going back to school for another year due to the tournament being cancelled this year, and the uncertainty with the virus

If he wants to go back for a senior season to win a championship, go for it. He’ll sign next spring

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Also when’s the last time a major college draft pick of the Rangers left to go the UFA route?

These guys leave other organizations to come here, not the other way around

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can't see him leaving.

The money will be the same everywhere. He'll have a great opportunity to make the team here within the next season or so. It's unlikely he finds an opportunity to step right in.

I remember a lot of people thought TVR would try to sign with Philly. He had followed JVR's footsteps. He signed in Chicago. They've never played on the same team in the NHL. When Marc Staal headed to free agency I remember people thinking it was a forgone conclusion he would go play with his brothers. If only. I don't see Morgan walking to hopefully join his brother's organization. Not when you're a prospect. When you haven't made it, you gotta take the best opportunity that's available, not just try to follow your brother.

It's possible Morgan wants to play somewhere else. No one knows. I wouldn't bet on it, though. Guys usually walk because they have disagreements with the front office or think they're blocked or don't want to play in some shit city. None of that seems to apply here.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron is very unlikely to sign with any other organization IMO.

Now as to whether he does this year is a lot more up in the air than it was a couple months ago. The cancellation of the tournament has a lot of guys coming back. All of UND's top line came back including Kawaguchi who was a Hobey Finalist. The only three who left early from contending teams were Perunovich, who's already won 2 titles and has literally nothing to prove, Connor Mackey who's 23 and this might be his last chance to get an NHL deal, and Aapeli Räsänen who went home to Finland.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Something to consider on Barron or any other NCAA player, was the news Bob MacKenzie had on Insider Trading yesterday. Bob says he's heard that Colleges/Universities might not reopen before 2021. If there are no classes in the fall, their sports venues/training facilities will not be open to the athletes/students either. Therefore, football/hockey and other sports seasons will be up in the air...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Something to consider on Barron or any other NCAA player, was the news Bob MacKenzie had on Insider Trading yesterday. Bob says he's heard that Colleges/Universities might not reopen before 2021. If there are no classes in the fall, their sports venues/training facilities will not be open to the athletes/students either. Therefore, football/hockey and other sports seasons will be up in the air...
Yeah I just read that one of the schools in the Northeast already cancelled the fall semester. If that becomes a thing...who knows. I don't think there's any guarantee fall sports happen. Especially if we "reopen" and have a bad second spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad