Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.12.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
IIRC it was also Mitch Brown

I think that's right. Brown said in the comments that Miller's controlled zone entry prevention rate at the NTDP was the best he's ever tracked.

EP Rinkside also tracked him and found he had a 65% Corsi in the games they tracked. The best Corsi anyone has in the NHL is 60%, so 65% is totally absurd. It's like someone scoring 1.7 ppg in the NCAA.

Miller has stuff he needs to work on, but he might be the best player in transition outside the NHL and he does an absurdly good job driving possession because of that.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
ka miller.JPG
IIRC it was also Mitch Brown

I think that's right. Brown said in the comments that Miller's controlled zone entry prevention rate at the NTDP was the best he's ever tracked.

EP Rinkside also tracked him and found he had a 65% Corsi in the games they tracked. The best Corsi anyone has in the NHL is 60%, so 65% is totally absurd. It's like someone scoring 1.7 ppg in the NCAA.

Miller has stuff he needs to work on, but he might be the best player in transition outside the NHL and he does an absurdly good job driving possession because of that.

You fine folks were right, it was Mitch

EDIT: This chart was what sold me on him pre-draft, and why i was so excited we got him

Reactions: Leetch3 and nyr2k2

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So, just an informal survey...Miller and Robertson...which one looks line up with which current Ranger RD and why?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So, just an informal survey...Miller and Robertson...which one looks line up with which current Ranger RD and why?

If Miller develops as hoped, he would be a perfect partner for ADA or Fox. He should go a long ways toward making sure that each guy has the puck on his stick more often, and that neither of them waste a bunch of shifts chasing guys around the d-zone.

Robertson; I can't say. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about his offense, but I'm expecting more of a solid two-way guy who defends well and makes a smart first pass. Probably ADA or Fox as well.

Our RDs right now are so polarized that it isn't difficult to decide who to try guys with first. A good skater with offensive tendencies? Try him with Trouba. A solid defender who limits opposing teams chances? Try him with one of the young guns.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is why I always consider him our best D prospect. He's already pretty darn good, and the upside is simply immense.
I wonder if he’s kind of like Skjei. In that he’s better where he’s concentrating on defending and not trying to be Superman.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
If he hits his ceiling, he will be better than Fox

If he hits his ceiling he will be better than everyone of our D by quite a bit.

I might be way off, but I don't see his offensive upside being even close to DeAngelo's and Fox' current level. I see him capping out roughly as a better skating Trouba offensively.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I might be way off, but I don't see his offensive upside being even close to DeAngelo's and Fox' current level. I see him capping out roughly as a better skating Trouba offensively.

I don't think he will ever hit his ceiling because it's so sky-high. But if he can turn into a left-handed version of DeAngelo, we have a good player to structure our defense around. Pair him with Fox and you're good to go for a 2nd pairing

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah and he in addition got a really valuable physical presence on the ice. He can fight for territory around the net and he takes away a lot of ice with his reach. That upside is also very significant in relation to his overall game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It looks like Karl Henriksson will play with Simon Hjalmarsson and Ryan Lasch tonight, two of the best players in the SHL. He's had a couple of games with them already this season and has looked really good with the men's team this far in general.

He expects to play some more games due to illness and injuries on the team. This is a good time for Henriksson to show what he can do

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It looks like Karl Henriksson will play with Simon Hjalmarsson and Ryan Lasch tonight, two of the best players in the SHL. He's had a couple of games with them already this season and has looked really good with the men's team this far in general.

Thanks! Great news! :)

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
He expects to play some more games due to illness and injuries on the team. This is a good time for Henriksson to show what he can do
Yeah, Peterson and Rakhshani are out for now. Peterson is getting close to a comeback (I think this week is likely), but Rakhshani looks like he could be out for another couple of weeks. The real interesting thing with Henriksson playing alongside Hjalmarsson/Lasch is that he pushes Raymond out of the lineup right now (13th forward), he has earned coach Rönnberg's trust really fast.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, Peterson and Rakhshani are out for now. Peterson is getting close to a comeback (I think this week is likely), but Rakhshani looks like he could be out for another couple of weeks. The real interesting thing with Henriksson playing alongside Hjalmarsson/Lasch is that he pushes Raymond out of the lineup right now (13th forward), he has earned coach Rönnberg's trust really fast.

When I spoke to him, he said the weeks with Södertälje really helped him improve as a player, despite it now showing up on the scoresheet. The jump from SuperElit to pro hockey was huge, and he feels much more comfortable now. It shows.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
When I spoke to him, he said the weeks with Södertälje really helped him improve as a player, despite it now showing up on the scoresheet. The jump from SuperElit to pro hockey was huge, and he feels much more comfortable now. It shows.
It definitely shows, he's calm in every situation and 9/10 times he makes the right decision with the puck. He's still at a disadvantage physically, of course, but I don't think it shows that much because of his IQ. I'm very excited to see what he can do with the men's team next season, though it will still be hard for him to get a spot at C. Right now he's about 55 mins away from getting a rookie contract with Frölunda.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It definitely shows, he's calm in every situation and 9/10 times he makes the right decision with the puck. He's still at a disadvantage physically, of course, but I don't think it shows that much because of his IQ. I'm very excited to see what he can do with the men's team next season, though it will still be hard for him to get a spot at C. Right now he's about 55 mins away from getting a rookie contract with Frölunda.

Yeah, and I saw many of Henriksson's games for Södertälje. Looking at the scoring sheet it might look like he was a disaster. No production and he dropped like a stone through the lineup. But he actually played fairly well for a team that really struggled and most definitely wasn't optimally built.

The challenge he face is definitely to bring his overall game to the next level all across the board. He is so poised with the puck in tight quarters and will at any level -- he surely would in the NHL too today -- make plays that coaches and his teammates likes. But speed over the length of the ice, physical battles, puck protection, those type of things are behind for sure.

Will be an exciting kid to follow.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
View attachment 318995

You fine folks were right, it was Mitch

EDIT: This chart was what sold me on him pre-draft, and why i was so excited we got him

The reason behind K'Andre's dominance at the bottom line in these perspectives is his ability to play a high defensive game. And I think its important to acknowledge that because it goes both ways.

For a long time, up until the later parts of the 90's, you kind of played a defensive game that could be described as pressure with support. I.e. the Ds stepped up while they had support from forwards skating hard to be able to cover behind the D after he had stepped up on his player. Go back to 1995 or even 2005 and every other D in the NHL didn't have "gap control" in their tool box. A Garnet Excelby didn't have an underwhelming gap control, he never tried to maintain an appropriate gap at all. Instead those D's backed down without maintaining a gap, and the forwards steered the puck out towards the boards, and the Ds stepped up on them and took the body.

But after 05' the scale tipped and skilled forwards was able to zig-zag through the pressure in the neutral zone with the crackdown on slashing, hooking and those type of plays. Michael Nylander and co killed those type of Ds.

That gave birth to the gap control strategy. You couldn't risk stepping up on Michael Nylander and co in the neutral zone, so you started to skate with them instead. Gap control is really about not giving the forward enough space to fire the puck cleanly off the rush while back down with him. Skating forward is faster than skating backwards so the D must on one side "cheat" enough to get a head start, and on the other side time the forward so that he is close enough when you come into shooting range.

In the way the game is played today, when every D more or less constantly is skating into the lap of their goalies surrounding the defensive blue-line -- having Ds that can step up high and win puck battles not deep in your own end, but in the neutral zone, is a great weapon. Teams aren't prepared for it, and is instantly a great position to turn the play from. In the NHL Drew Doughty has been the best at playing a high defense AINEC. His timing and lateral movement makes him almost unique, and being able to create offense of his high defense was instrumental to all LAK's Cup wins. They could afford to be more conservative in many areas than the competition, but still get great scoring chances since Doughty could eat up forwards at the red-line instead of backing down into the lap of his goalie and then head into the corner to chase a rebound.

K'Andree Miller is really good at stepping up high in those situations too, and can be downright dominant in games against his peers due to it. But I think that many fail to put into context Miller getting beaten defensively in those situations, which of course will happen form time to time, and like a D getting beaten cleanly trying to maintain a gap control while skating into the lap of his goalie. First of all, the last mentioned play is designed to be unfailable if the D can skate well enough, the first mentioned is tremendously hard to make. 50/50 at best. Second of all, when a D steps up, its the forwards job to cover behind him. A forward backchecking that is allowed to skate back in a straight lane should just be able to beat an attacking forward that is heading up ice but have to skate around a K'Andre Miller coming at him. I've several times seen Miller get walked in those situation and people go OMG Miller was beaten cleanly, while the support he got from the players was a lot more questionable than his play. Thirdly, its of course essential for a D to value when to make those plays, and getting the right 'most of the time' is just about anything you can ask of a young D.

Lastly, and sorry for the long post, I also think it is essential to be patient with Miller to afford him to take this game with him to the NHL level. If we had rushed him he would have had to cut those elements from his game and solely base his defense on backing down into the lap of the goalie, just to survive. I want him over mature when he hits the ice in the AHL.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Our RDs right now are so polarized that it isn't difficult to decide who to try guys with first. A good skater with offensive tendencies? Try him with Trouba. A solid defender who limits opposing teams chances? Try him with one of the young guns.
Again, may be just me but I have no problem looking for a Lindgren clone to play with DeAngelo.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1-1 between Frölunda-Linköping after the first, Lundqvist Sr (by 10 minutes) with the goal for Frölunda. Henriksson has played well, but he was a little unfortunate on the goal against.

Henriksson is tremendous at turning away with the puck from pressure.

Lias on the 1st line for HV71, who are down 0-1 after 1.

Adam Edström is a spare forward for Rögle. Could have the flu or something or it’s a benching.

Ulfie Robocop Samuelson is coaching his first game for his old team Leksand today. 1-1 after 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot