Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

NYRORDIE

Jul 8, 2019
New York just called up uberstud, future Hall of Famer, GOAT the Mighty Igor. He's like a combo of CuJo, Belfour, Roy, Richter, and MARTY rolled into one.

But I'm not here to wax poetic...even though Igor deserves all the praise in the world. I mean he's the best!

But seriously, Igor Shesterkin was called up and it doesn't appear he's here for just a jaunt.

Henrik's not waiving his NTC, so it sounds like Georgiev is on the move.

So give us your best offers! Georgy has struggled the last few games, but before that he was fantastic and is still only 23. He's only going to get better. We need C and LW depth. We need scorers and playmakers. We need offensive help, not so much defense.

And yes, we like draft picks.

New York just called up uberstud, future Hall of Famer, GOAT the Mighty Igor. He's like a combo of CuJo, Belfour, Roy, Richter, and MARTY rolled into one.

But I'm not here to wax poetic...even though Igor deserves all the praise in the world. I mean he's the best!

But seriously, Igor Shesterkin was called up and it doesn't appear he's here for just a jaunt.

Henrik's not waiving his NTC, so it sounds like Georgiev is on the move.

So give us your best offers! Georgy has struggled the last few games, but before that he was fantastic and is still only 23. He's only going to get better. We need C and LW depth. We need scorers and playmakers. We need offensive help, not so much defense.

And yes, we like draft picks.

As a Rangers fan I like the idea of Georgiev to San Jose for Kevin Labanc. He is an RFA this summer so the Sharks would likely have to add but I feel as a local New York kid he would definitely resign.

He would be a cheap top 6 option and the Sharks need goaltending help.

Reactions: nihlify

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ranger fans seem to think we should pay more for an unproven backup then we paid for our starting goalie who is going to the all-star game. You can't make this stuff up. :laugh::laugh:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Ranger fans seem to think we should pay more for an unproven backup then we paid for our starting goalie who is going to the all-star game. You can't make this stuff up. :laugh::laugh:
Dude, going to ASG means literally nothing, check the rosters.

Georgiev is as proven as you can get at 23

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
If he gets the chance, Kreider will run your goalie. Then, you will need Georgiev.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still maintain that Georgiev makes a lot of sense for Detroit:

-So far, they need someone to platoon in a 1A/1B with Bernier next year and then still be around if/when Bernier is gone after 20/21
-They'll have plenty of cap space to pay him for his NHL 1B resume on a bridge deal this summer
-They'll be able to protect him in the expansion
-They don't have any young goalies anywhere close to making an impact in the NHL

Problem is, I just don't see a scenario where Yzerman pays a high price in draft picks or good prospects. Maybe he'd be willing to move AA in a trade for Georgiev? Or maybe some extra draft picks he accumulates when he moves guys before the deadline? And/Or he lets the Rangers pick from the Wings budget forward bargain bin (Ehn, Erne, Perlini, possibly Svechnikov or Hirose)? Or a combination of those?

We don’t want your scraps. Offer up something of value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the team is not going to base who starts games on who produces, we need to get rid of Georgiyev instantly. I wouldn’t bother haggling over a small difference in price. Something like Bracco+2nd is something I’d take. We can’t afford to keep using Shestyorkin so sparingly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude, going to ASG means literally nothing, check the rosters.

Georgiev is as proven as you can get at 23

Whatever. At the time Andersen was traded he was more established than Georgiev, there's no doubt about that whatsoever so whatever NY gets for him, it will be substantially less than what was paid for Andersen.

Also, are you sure that there has never been 23 year old goalies more proven than Georgiev? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure that's nonsense.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

The guy is not is not a back up. And I'm not sure he is unproven either. Toronto fans continue to use that to decrease value. If you think he will be traded for a couple of spare parts.........then you aren't too serious about acquiring him.
NY can move on.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Whatever. At the time Andersen was traded he was more established than Georgiev, there's no doubt about that whatsoever so whatever NY gets for him, it will be substantially less than what was paid for Andersen.

Also, are you sure that there has never been 23 year old goalies more proven than Georgiev? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure that's nonsense.
What I mean is he’s played more than enough for a 23 year old to be considered ‘proven’

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
The guy is not is not a back up. And I'm not sure he is unproven either. Toronto fans continue to use that to decrease value. If you think he will be traded for a couple of spare parts.........then you aren't too serious about acquiring him.
NY can move on.
Leafs have a starting goalie, he would be a backup to the leafs

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If the team is not going to base who starts games on who produces, we need to get rid of Georgiyev instantly. I wouldn’t bother haggling over a small difference in price. Something like Bracco+2nd is something I’d take. We can’t afford to keep using Shestyorkin so sparingly.

Bracco+2nd sounds realistic. I don't see anyone giving up a 1st and the idea of someone like Kapanen being the price is absurd, I'd be shocked if that's what ended up happening.

Georgiev is a fine prospect but the problem is that as someone said earlier, goalies are voodoo. When the Leafs traded for Bernier, his value was probably somewhere around what Georgiev is today and that didn't work out well is one recent example of the risk inherent in trading for an unproven goalie.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
NY can move on.

As of today, of course he is.

What I mean is he’s played more than enough for a 23 year old to be considered ‘proven’

He's no more proven than Bernier was when the Leafs traded for him.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I don't agree with you on this. This season means nothing and likely next as well. Trading Georgiev will leave us in a bad position after next season. Wall and Huska are not ready. Bracco is a small forward who looks like a career AHL'er. He shouldn't move the needle for NY.

I'd cut Hanks time to almost nothing and hopefully force him to waive his NMC. Now is no time to be sentimental about his career and we shouldn't be looking to move a guy who can challenge Shesty. I know Shesty shows the signs of being a really good future #1 but I'm not ready to move Georgiev after on seeing him for only 3 NHL games. If the return is Bracco and 2nd, there is no actual urgency to make the trade.

Reactions: Off Sides

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
We don’t want your scraps. Offer up something of value.

I wasn't offering anything up.... I was merely speculating that while Georgiev would be a great fit for Detroit, it likely isn't realistic from a trade standpoint because Yzerman probably doesn't want to give up bigger value assets. And that if possible, he'd try to work a trade around the Wings more expendable assets/scraps/whatever. If that's not possible, he probably just moves on and signs a UFA goalie for a couple years.

Given that Gorton once valued Brendan Smith at a 2nd and 3rd, I don't doubt that he (rightfully) wants a lot more than what Yzerman might be willing to pay for Georgiev.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Leafs have a starting goalie, he would be a backup to the leafs

If your team chooses to play him in a back up role it does not dictate his value or decrease it to the team you are trading with, they set the value they want in trade.......not the other way around. You pay it or you don't. Again, Toronto fans have historically referred to him as a back up in these threads......but he isn't. He has split time with Hank, there might be a 1 or 2 game difference. Talbot and Raanta played significantly less games than Hank, indicating they were true back ups. This season Georgiev is a starter.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If your team chooses to play him in a back up role it does not dictate his value or decrease it to the team you are trading with, they set the value they want in trade.......not the other way around. You pay it or you don't. Again, Toronto fans have historically referred to him as a back up in these threads......but he isn't. He has split time with Hank, there might be a 1 or 2 game difference. Talbot and Raanta played significantly less games than Hank, indicating they were true back ups. This season Georgiev is a starter.
What team is acquiring him as a starter?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
What team is acquiring him as a starter?

You would be trading for a starter and using him in a back up role. You aren't getting a discount because you may intend to do that. You either pay the price or you move on, the Rangers don't care what you do with him once there is a trade. That has no effect on value.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
You would be trading for a starter and using him in a back up role. You aren't getting a discount because you may intend to do that. You either pay the price or you move on, the Rangers don't care what you do with him once there is a trade. That has no effect on value.
The trade market dictates what he's worth, not the other way around. The rangers are rolling with 3 goalies and have to get rid of one and he seems to be the one leaving. No one has to take him

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't agree with you on this. This season means nothing and likely next as well. Trading Georgiev will leave us in a bad position after next season. Wall and Huska are not ready. Bracco is a small forward who looks like a career AHL'er. He shouldn't move the needle for NY.

I'd cut Hanks time to almost nothing and hopefully force him to waive his NMC. Now is no time to be sentimental about his career and we shouldn't be looking to move a guy who can challenge Shesty. I know Shesty shows the signs of being a really good future #1 but I'm not ready to move Georgiev after on seeing him for only 3 NHL games. If the return is Bracco and 2nd, there is no actual urgency to make the trade.

Do you think Hank can’t be a backup? I’d say it’d be bad asset management not to trade Georgiyev. Hank’s going nowhere and can be a backup for at least another season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad