Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The trade market dictates what he's worth, not the other way around. The rangers are rolling with 3 goalies and have to get rid of one and he seems to be the one leaving. No one has to take him

That's what it sounds like to me. I'm sure they'd like to ditch Lundquist instead but they can't so they're basically screwed. It sounds like taking the best offer they get is their best option and since there are no teams desperate to get him (and let's be real here, teams are rarely desperate to trade for unproven goalies) the return they get will probably end up being disappointing to Ranger fans.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Do you think Hank can’t be a backup? I’d say it’d be bad asset management not to trade Georgiyev. Hank’s going nowhere and can be a backup for at least another season.

Sure Hank can be a back up but what does it matter?
I understand your point but I also see that he should be getting almost no minutes moving forward because now is the time to develop the younger goalies with nothing at stake. We would be dumb to re sign him when his contract ends and I'd hate to give up Georgiev because we feel obligated to play Hank. If the return is Bracco and 2nd, I'd say Georgiev is way more valuable to NY than those pieces. I wouldn't make that trade. If Gorton can manage a 1st.....I might reconsider.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Do you think Hank can’t be a backup? I’d say it’d be bad asset management not to trade Georgiyev. Hank’s going nowhere and can be a backup for at least another season.

I think if Lundqvist decides to retire it would be poor asset management for the Rangers to trade Georgiev.

Since neither of us or anyone else on these forums really would know what Lundqvist's or the Rangers plans are, all we can do is speculate.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd cut Hanks time to almost nothing and hopefully force him to waive his NMC. Now is no time to be sentimental about his career and we shouldn't be looking to move a guy who can challenge Shesty. I know Shesty shows the signs of being a really good future #1 but I'm not ready to move Georgiev after on seeing him for only 3 NHL games. If the return is Bracco and 2nd, there is no actual urgency to make the trade.

That's an interesting idea, is there any chance that Lundquist would waive? I mean you can't force him to and he seems to really love it in NY so it seems like a long shot to me. Even if he said OK, I'd assume he'd only be willing to go to a contender and good luck finding a contender who's willing to take on his cap hit. If you retain a ton of salary it might work I guess, interesting idea anyway.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I think if Lundqvist decides to retire it would be poor asset management for the Rangers to trade Georgiev.

Since neither of us or anyone else on these forums really would know what Lundqvist's or the Rangers plans are, all we can do is speculate.
You think Lundqvist is gonna walk away from $5.5 million?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The trade market dictates what he's worth, not the other way around. The rangers are rolling with 3 goalies and have to get rid of one and he seems to be the one leaving. No one has to take him

If you are assuming Toronto is the only team interested and NY absolutely has their back up against the wall, I'd agree. But I am confident neither is close to being true.

The Rangers don't have to do anything. If they don't get what they want, they don't need to trade Georgiev. I just don't see the Rangers giving up a solid 23yr old goalie who right now is exactly what they hope Shestyorkin turns into after a season of starts.

Bracco and 2nd doesn't move the needle for me. If something other than spare parts is too rich for you, then walk away. No shame in that.

Reactions: Ciao

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
That's an interesting idea, is there any chance that Lundquist would waive? I mean you can't force him to and he seems to really love it in NY so it seems like a long shot to me. Even if he said OK, I'd assume he'd only be willing to go to a contender and good luck finding a contender who's willing to take on his cap hit. If you retain a ton of salary it might work I guess, interesting idea anyway.

I think pride and his loyalty to NY prohibit that from happening.
I'd love to see the guy win, it just won't be here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What team is acquiring him as a starter?

That is the crux of it with many NYR fans saying 1st or bust.

The only teams that would give up a 1st would be a Cup contender and those teams already have starting goalies.

Conversely the only teams that would bring in Georgiev to be a starter are non-contenders whose 1st will be a lottery pick and far more valuable than Georgiev. Cory Schneider got #10 overall and his worst season before the trade was much, much better than Georgiev's best season in the NHL so far. Add into that the fact that nearly all goalies dealt in the past for bigger returns were off-season deals when GMs are more likely to spend.

Reactions: 13pacheco31

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If you are assuming Toronto is the only team interested and NY absolutely has their back up against the wall, I'd agree. But I am confident neither is close to being true.

The Rangers don't have to do anything. If they don't get what they want, they don't need to trade Georgiev. I just don't see the Rangers giving up a solid 23yr old goalie who right now is exactly what they hope Shestyorkin turns into after a season of starts.

Bracco and 2nd doesn't move the needle for me. If something other than spare parts is too rich for you, then walk away. No shame in that.
I legitimately asked which teams that have been reported of interest are looking to acquire him as a starter. And actually, yes, their backs are kind of up against the wall right now with their goalie situation

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
You think Lundqvist is gonna walk away from $5.5 million?

He has an estimated career earning of $97,283,390

If he is not going to play much, yeah I think he may walk.

Also we do not know the Rangers plans, they could also buy him out. While some would poo poo them for doing so, the argument that it is best for their rebuild probably placates some of that.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I legitimately asked which teams that have been reported of interest are looking to acquire him as a starter. And actually, yes, their backs are kind of up against the wall right now with their goalie situation

Explain why their backs are up against the wall.
They certainly have the option to rotate 3 next season while cutting Hanks minutes.
They are in no danger to lose one of the younger guys, Hank is out before expansion.
Shesty is exempt and they can protect Georgiev who is an RFA currently making 700K.
They can carry 3 in the most dire of circumstances if need be. They are not forced to do anything regarding this situation.

I have no idea who is in on Georgiev currently outside of the threads on this forum but I am certain there is more interest than just Toronto and that will pick up in the next few weeks. Who could use a young starter for the next 10yrs? Detroit, Edmonton, San Jose, Canes..........for starters. Columbus maybe? NJ? Anyone with an aging starter? NSH? I read a rumor yesterday Price wants out? Who knows really. But if you think you are trying to do NY a favor because you perceive they are in a bind and won't be able to move the guy, I think you are severely underestimating the rest of the league.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Their backs aren't up against the wall the least bit. If their backs were up against the wall they probably would have moved him by now

Reactions: Shootertooter

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm a Leafs fan who would love to see them acquire Georgiev at a reasonable cost, but I just don't see that happening.

The Rangers are in a nice spot with an aging superstar and two young up and comers. They would be nuts to trade either of the young guys until they know what they have with each of them.

Ideally, this is the Rangers tandem for years to come.

I wish the Leafs were in the same position.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

The only teams that would give up a 1st would be a Cup contender and those teams already have starting goalies.

Conversely the only teams that would bring in Georgiev to be a starter are non-contenders whose 1st will be a lottery pick and far more valuable than Georgiev. Cory Schneider got #10 overall and his worst season before the trade was much, much better than Georgiev's best season in the NHL so far. Add into that the fact that nearly all goalies dealt in the past for bigger returns were off-season deals when GMs are more likely to spend.

Are they saying 1st or bust? I think lots of Rangers fans don't want to move him at all and at least not for what some TOR. fans have been offering. Obviously if a 1st was offered it would move to the front of the list but I'm not sure anyone realistically thinks that is what NY will demand.

I think a prospect that meets NY's needs and a pick would do it.....based on the level of prospect.
NY needs C's and big wingers.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
To you and me, we look at $97 million and think what's $5 million? But I don't underestimate human greed

I don't think he is going to be greedy.

I think if he wants to play he is going to find it more difficult to find starts on the Rangers, which is already happening.

My guess, unless an overpay for Geo happens, which I too think is unlikely, the Rangers are going to deal with this in the summer once they know more about Shesterkin in the NHL, know which way Lundqvist is going, and to a much lesser extent once they know if they can sign Wall or not.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
They certainly have the option to rotate 3 next season while cutting Hanks minutes.
They are in no danger to lose one of the younger guys, Hank is out before expansion.
Shesty is exempt and they can protect Georgiev who is an RFA currently making 700K.
They can carry 3 in the most dire of circumstances if need be.

I have no idea who is in on Georgiev currently outside of the threads on this forum but I am certain there is more interest than just Toronto and that will pick up in the next few weeks. Who could use a young starter for the next 10yrs? Detroit, Edmonton, San Jose, Canes..........for starters. Columbus maybe? NJ? Anyone with an aging starter? NSH? I read a rumor yesterday Price wants out? Who knows really. But if you think you are trying to do NY a favor because they are in a bind and won;t be able to move the guy, I think you are severely underestimating the rest of the league.
Who said anyones doing anyone any favours? Lol. I was under the impression that shest was needing protection in the expansion draft. Regardless, having 3 goalies up is poor asset management, they need to do something and I don't think moving Lundqvist is gonna happen unless you guys give a team with cap space a big incentive

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Dude, going to ASG means literally nothing, check the rosters.

Georgiev is as proven as you can get at 23
Matt Murray says "hi". Remember him? The goalie with two Stanley Cup rings by the time he was 23.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Who said anyones doing anyone any favours? Lol. I was under the impression that shest was needing protection in the expansion draft. Regardless, having 3 goalies up is poor asset management, they need to do something and I don't think moving Lundqvist is gonna happen unless you guys give a team with cap space a big incentive

Shesty is exempt, Hank has one year left.
Moving Georgiev solely because Hank is still here is poor asset management.
The Rangers might end up moving Georgiev for the right offer but I'd expect the return to be pretty good because they are aware he is a not just some aging back up......and they really do not need to do anything.

If the offer is Bracco and a 2nd, I still pass.
So are we good now?

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Georgiev is a proven starter and the Rangers need to find out what they have in Shesterkin (who I think most Rangers fans would agree is a much better goalie) then I wonder why they keep starting Georgiev? Occam's razor would say that they are trying to move him and are showcasing him due to being unhappy with current offers.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think pride and his loyalty to NY prohibit that from happening.
I'd love to see the guy win, it just won't be here.

Unless in his last season he's in good form and decides he wants a shot at a cup before he retires in the same way that Ray Bourque did but other than that, I think you're probably right.

Exactly this, NY getting a 1st rounder is a pipe dream.

They can carry 3 in the most dire of circumstances if need be.

I have no idea who is in on Georgiev currently outside of the threads on this forum but I am certain there is more interest than just Toronto and that will pick up in the next few weeks. Who could use a young starter for the next 10yrs? Detroit, Edmonton, San Jose, Canes..........for starters. Columbus maybe? NJ? Anyone with an aging starter? NSH? I read a rumor yesterday Price wants out? Who knows really. But if you think you are trying to do NY a favor because they are in a bind and won;t be able to move the guy, I think you are severely underestimating the rest of the league.

From what I've read in the media NY badly wants to move him though so maybe they don't like the idea of carrying 3 goalies? Then again, I'm not sure how reliable those sources are so maybe NY will only move him if they get an offer they like and if they're OK with carrying 3 goalies then that makes a lot of sense. You just never know with goalies and if you have two young ones, keeping them both until you know better what they are sounds like a good plan.

I'd love to see the Leafs pick him up but only if the price is right. If Bracco and a 2nd isn't enough then I don't see it happening though, no way are they giving up Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot and I'm not sure what else they have to offer that would interest NY.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If Georgiev is a proven starter and the Rangers need to find out what they have in Shesterkin (who I think most Rangers fans would agree is a much better goalie) then I wonder why they keep starting Georgiev? Occam's razor would say that they are trying to move him and are showcasing him due to being unhappy with current offers.

He's played in half of all games this year for NY. I don't see anything different in his deployment.
I'm not ready to say Shesty is the better goalie with only 3 games under his belt. That is just way too premature.

Why are people insisting this is an untenable situation? Hank is gone after next season, why would NYR need to get rid of a 23yr old RFA making 700K simply because Hank is here for next season? There is no urgency here to do anything. The Rangers could be looking to move Georgiev. I think if they get a good offer for him they would consider it. I also think it would be the wrong move.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Shesty is exempt, Hank has one year left.
Moving Georgiev solely because Hank is still here is poor asset management.
The Rangers might end up moving Georgiev for the right offer but I'd expect the return to be pretty good because they are aware he is a not just some aging back up......and they really do not need to do anything.

If the offer is Bracco and a 2nd, I still pass.
So are we good now?
When were we ever not good?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
But why are people insisting this is an untenable situation? Hank is gone after next season, why would NYR need to get rid of a 23yr old RFA making 700K simply because Hank is here for a single season? There is no urgency here to do anything.

You expect them to carry 3 goalies for 1.5 seasons?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You expect them to carry 3 goalies for 1.5 seasons?

I expect if they did that they would drastically cut Hanks minutes, which should happen any way.
Shesty makes 925K and Georgiev makes 700K, both RFA's.....it is not a money issue. Those guys would split time and Hank might get an occasional start. In a perfect world, NY moves Hank to a contender or he sits.

I just don't see NY moving Georgiev to give Hank playing time for next season, THAT would be poor asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->