Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

Gaud

May 11, 2017
That's three trades in dozens and dozens of goalie trades over the years that returned far less

Also, all three of your examples happened at or right before the draft.

Nobody gives a first straight up (or better) for a goalie in-season

This doesnt win you an argument….. Were any of those goalies near the same value? then of course they wouldnt get the same return.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I expect if they did that they would drastically cut Hanks minutes, which should happen any way.
Shesty makes 925K and Georgiev makes 700K, both RFA's.....it is not a money issue. Those guys would split time and Hank might get an occasional start. In a perfect world, NY moves Hank to a contender or he sits.

I just don't see NY moving Georgiev to give Hank playing time for next season, THAT would be poor asset management.

When was the last time a team carried 3 goalies for a full season?

Edit -for that matter, when's the last time a team even started the season with 3 goalies on the roster? I predict that one way or the other, one goalie is gone by the the time next season begins. But I guess there's no need for them to rush, if they don't get an offer they like they can just push the decision to the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: shello

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
When was the last time a team carried 3 goalies for a full season?

Edit -for that matter, when's the last time a team even started the season with 3 goalies on the roster? I predict that one way or the other, one goalie is gone by the the time next season begins. But I guess there's no need for them to rush, if they don't get an offer they like they can just push the decision to the summer.

Off the top of my head:

This season - Arizona Coyotes: Raanta/Kuemper/Comrie (Comrie eventually traded in December)

Other top of my head examples:

16/17 Islanders - Halak/Greiss/Berube (Halak waived and sent to AHL at some point before finishing year in NHL IIRC)
15/16 Wild - Dubnyk/Kuemper/Backstrom (Backstrom moved at deadline)
06/07 Red Wings - Hasek/Osgood/MacDonald (McDonald waived and lost to Boston shortly before trade deadline)
03/04 Red Wings - Hasek/Joseph/Legace (Wings tried to move Joseph but couldn't, both Joseph/Hasek on and off IR till Hasek got shutdown)
98/99 Red Wings - Osgood/Maracle/Hodson until TDL and then Osgood/Ranford/Maracle (Hodson got beat for #2 job but Holland wouldn't trade him for less than a 3rd until he went to Tampa in the Wendel Clark deal. Ranford came in as vet insurance and because the Wings kinda already knew Maracle was going to Atlanta)
96/97 Red Wings - Osgood/Vernon/Hodson (Everyone in front office not named Bowman hated Vernon and had already chosen Hodson as Osgood eventual back up but didn't want to lose him on waivers. They sent him on a couple AHL conditioning stints during the year)

Last edited:

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Andersen has had a bad twoish weeks, but outside of that has been a tremendous goalie for us in the grand scheme of things.

Nice try.
Gee I wonder why he's had a rough two weeks, it's almost as if the Leafs are starting him more than they should be because they don't have someone to lighten the load. Either the Leafs fail to miss the playoffs because of a gassed Andersen, or they lose first round with a gassed Andersen. Seriously one of the only solutions for them right now is getting someone like Georgiev, he ain't no "backup" or some "prospect" he's an NHL level goaltender and he WILL be a starter one day. Giving up someone like Kapanen for long term success is the Leafs best interest right now. Add on to the fact that Kap is very easily replaceable in their system it gives all the more reason for Dubas to do it. I mean I guess it's lunacy with Leafs fans sometimes, Christ they think they'll get Dumba for Kapanen straight up.

Reactions: Shootertooter

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Gee I wonder why he's had a rough two weeks, it's almost as if the Leafs are starting him more than they should be because they don't have someone to lighten the load. Either the Leafs fail to miss the playoffs because of a gassed Andersen, or they lose first round with a gassed Andersen. Seriously one of the only solutions for them right now is getting someone like Georgiev, he ain't no "backup" or some "prospect" he's an NHL level goaltender and he WILL be a starter one day. Giving up someone like Kapanen for long term success is the Leafs best interest right now. Add on to the fact that Kap is very easily replaceable in their system it gives all the more reason for Dubas to do it. I mean I guess it's lunacy with Leafs fans sometimes, Christ they think they'll get Dumba for Kapanen straight up.
you're clueless about the Leafs.

Since Keefe took over they've been relying on Hutchinson way more than Babcock ever did. Babcock only played the backup on the back of b2bs, Hutchinson is getting random games here and there.

If you think the reason Andersen is suffering right now is because of load, you're mistaken.

Goalies are allowed to have off weeks, it's just the waves of the season and he's been tremendous all season except for recently. I have zero worries about our starting goaltending position. Just the backup, which can be upgraded in way more ways than losing a player of Kapanens ill (who is a great 3rd liner btw) we can either roll with Hutchinson (who's been way better since Keefe has taken over) or trade for somebody who will come way cheaper.

But please tell me more about how WE MUST trade for Gorgiev to solidify our backup position :laugh:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
. But I guess there's no need for them to rush, if they don't get an offer they like they can just push the decision to the summer.

That has been what I've been saying all along, there is no rush to do anything. There is no panmic and no emergency. It doesn't make sense that they need to move a young RFA who could be a part of a very good goalie tandem for a long time simply because they still have Hank for 1 more season.

Regarding carrying 3, it has been documented already....and although it may not be the norm, Georgiev should not be a casualty because Hank will be here for 1 more year.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Sir, your extremely level headed and rational perspective has no place on this forum.

Reactions: AirGut

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'd take him on the leafs any day of the week . Depending on the price would easy do a prospect and a pick . Bracco/brooks + 3d or maybe even a second

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'm pretty sure you guys paid a 1st and a 2nd for Andersson.
29th over all and a pick . Vs a good prospect and a second it's like the same thing. Braccos better than the 30th oa pick . 30 over all in a 30 team draft is like a second rounder so pretty much 2 seconds for a top tier starting goalie. Cap controlled and long term contract

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
29th over all and a pick . Vs a good prospect and a second it's like the same thing

Ok, so that makes what you said false.
NY isn't looking for another undersized forward to play on the 3rd or 4th line.
NY probably gets better offers and only trades Georgiev if the offer is a good one.
I mentioned 38 pages ago that Bracco and 2nd was not a good enough offer.

Reactions: Kupo

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Great article written here.

If the Maple Leafs are to acquire Georgiev, it won't be for a roster player

They say it takes two to tango. Well, the New York Rangers seem content to dance by themselves.

Remember that whole “it takes two to tango” thing? Yeah, this is Jeff Gorton on a solo “Dance, Dance Revolution” bender.

After poking around to uncover if there was any semblance of truth on the above assumption, what I found failed to surprise me: Sources close to the situation indicated that, in any potential trade for Georgiev, the Maple Leafs are not inclined to give up a player from their current roster.

Nor should they. It just doesn’t make any darn sense.

Kasperi Kapanen is an incredibly valuable trade chip — a (seemingly-perennial) 20-goal-scorer with elite speed and penalty-killing ability who the Leafs have locked down to term. Kapanen is also the same age as Georgiev, has more than twice as many NHL games on his resume, and, unlike his net-centric counterpart, will not be staring down the barrel of arbitration this summer. Put Kapanen on roughly 25 other rosters, and he’s likely a slam dunk inductee into their top-six. You don’t move that type of player for someone who might see the ice 25 times a year.

Does an incredible job at summarizing how I feel about shipping a valuable piece for a backup goaltender. Let the Rangers continue to go through the season with 3 goaltenders on their roster, doesn't hurt us none.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The opposite could just as easily be true.

Generally, there is hardly much interest in a backup goaltender. A team that is acquiring him will likely do so to be starter this season or backup a goaltender that is a pending UFA and take over next season. It is with the intent that he will be a starter. Teams know he can be a #1, that is why there is interest and that is the only reason this thread has gone 31 pages.

Teams may very well think he can be a starter, but he wont have that level of asset value until hes proven it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad