Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning: Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Wouldn't ****** ice benefit us?

Not at all. We're a speedy team that relies on stretch passes. **** ice means those stretch passes bounce around and our execution fails and our whole game turns to ****.

While both teams suffer due to crap ice, we're at more of a disadvantage.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Our track record in 'Game 7's" and specifically Lundqvist's record in Game 7's doesn't mean ANYTHING. Unfortunately this is all that will be talked about in the media over the next couple days.

Every game is a unique event in and of itself. Game 7 vs Washington could have been over on one bounce and we aren't even talking about this right now.

Puck luck plays an important part, but i believe that you make your own luck. If Yandle never makes that pass to the point and we don't shoot the puck, Stepan never gets the bounce to win it.

The players know how important this game is. You know they won't come out flat, and they will give it all they have.

That is all we can ever ask of them. Just hope they bring their A game, score a bunch of goals, and Hank does what he needs to do.

This will be the biggest game of their lives, and ours as fans.

Just win.

Nev,

I've been with you all the way since 90% of naysayers wrote the team off at 1:3 against Caps but I had to disagree here. We are not talking about a face off or another 50:50 chance event. It is no coincidence that the Rangers built their 15:3 record in elimination games. It starts with Lundquist being a world class goalie with maybe two - three others at the same level - and continues with the rest of the team having enough experience and skills to win these games. I think you're being too coy if you don't think the Rangers have an advantage on Friday. It doesn't guarantee a win but it definitely makes them a favorite.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Not at all. We're a speedy team that relies on stretch passes. **** ice means those stretch passes bounce around and our execution fails and our whole game turns to ****.

While both teams suffer due to crap ice, we're at more of a disadvantage.

The same can be said of Tampa......

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Wouldn't ****** ice benefit us?

If asked to make a choice between the two teams, I agree with this. The way TB has been fast-breaking and making tape to tape passes to guys flying up the slot...a few ruts in the ice would hurt their game more than ours.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Nev,

I've been with you all the way since 90% of naysayers wrote the team off at 1:3 against Caps but I had to disagree here. We are not talking about a face off or another 50:50 chance event. It is no coincidence that the Rangers built their 15:3 record in elimination games. It starts with Lundquist being a world class goalie with maybe two - three others at the same level - and continues with the rest of the team having enough experience and skills to win these games. I think you're being too coy if you don't think the Rangers have an advantage on Friday. It doesn't guarantee a win but it definitely makes them a favorite.

The intention of my post wasn't to point out that the Rangers don't have an advantage. We do have an advantage. It starts with the game being played at home. The crowd plays into it, they always put their best effort forward when they absolutely have too, and this game is as big as it gets for them.

However, once the puck drops, to the players it becomes the same game they've played their entire lives. Anything can happen.

I don't believe (and the actual players have said it as well) that the previous record in Game 7's matters in this one.

It really is its own unique event, in and of itself. We have the advantage in experience, but at its most basic, it's still a hockey game, no more no less.

Anything can happen, I just hope our guys can get it done. It means everything at this point.

BarbaraAlphanse

The Rangers' streak is indicative of strong players with strong will and mental fortitude in big game situations.

The streak ends if they either:

a) face another team with the same exact talent and confidence

or

b) rest on their laurels and allow the streak to become complacency and arrogance

We'll see Friday. I am hoping that neither a or b happens.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The Rangers' streak is indicative of strong players with strong will and mental fortitude in big game situations.

or

b) rest on their laurels and allow the streak to become complacency and arrogance

You being at Stout with the lucky shirt. Do that. Again. Exactly. :laugh: :yo:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

or

Tampa could also be better on this particular night.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The same can be said of Tampa......

Not to the our extent. TB relies more on forechecking and forcing teams into bad plays and then taking advantage and scoring. We rely more on fast break plays via the stretch pass and are most successful when our players have open space to work with. While both teams are speed teams, TB utilizes their speed differently from us. And, if anything, the bad ice helps them even further, as our execution becomes even worse with the bad ice and we're even more prone to turnovers than if we're just fighting their forecheck alone.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'll be there. Looks like my streak at Stout will go hand in hand with the Rangers' game 7 streak.

The playoff games I've been there:

Last year:

Game 4 against LAK

This year:

Game 1 against Pitt

Game 2 against Wash
Game 5 against Wash
Game 7 against Wash

Game 1 against TB
Game 4 against TB
Game 6 against TB

Not amped just yet but i'm sure Friday i'll be chomping at the bit to get there and (hopefully) continue this streak alive. :nod:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not to the our extent. TB relies more on forechecking and forcing teams into bad plays and then taking advantage and scoring. We rely more on fast break plays via the stretch pass and are most successful when our players have open space to work with. While both teams are speed teams, TB utilizes their speed differently from us. And, if anything, the bad ice helps them even further, as our execution becomes even worse with the bad ice and we're even more prone to turnovers than if we're just fighting their forecheck alone.

Tampa Bay doesn't look like a forechecking team to me at all. They are essentially the perfect counter/transition team. They are completely lacking as far as ruggedness is concerned but every one of their players, especially their defenseman, are good puck movers so they end up being a ridiculously good rush team.

You are incredibly negative/worried about this team, so I understand why you are looking for an excuse already, but this game, like the rest of them, is going to come down to execution and puck luck. The condition of the ice will have very little, if anything, to do with who wins on Friday night.

Metranger

May 22, 2015

I'll be wearing the same clothes and standing in the same spot Friday as I did last night. Can't guarantee that I won't be drinking more beer though.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'll be wearing the same clothes and standing in the same spot Friday as I did last night. Can't guarantee that I won't be drinking more beer though.

It was tough getting up for work this morning. Stout gives these (most probably watered down) blue shots after every Rangers goal. Considering they scored 7 goals last night, my girlfriend passing some of hers on to me, and the bartender supplying my whole group with extras on more than 1 occasion... to go along with however many beers I had throughout the night... I'm pretty pleasantly surprised the damage was only limited to just a headache. Was going to take a personal day but I strolled in early today and resumed normal activities.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
This may be weird but I want a wide open game. We have Lundqvist they have Bishop and we can score. The moment it becomes a defensive game we see game 5. So I think bad ice helps Tampa.

Well, if the Rangers staff and AV feel that bad ice can hurt them it will astound me if they just shake their shoulders and accept it and not make sure every effort is made to get it as good as possible. I still say that the bad ice hurt them in game 5. But I guess some disagree.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I will be the glass is 10% empty guy (because that glass is 90% full), but I'm surprised he started off 1-5.

It's hard to believe but not shocking either. 06 he was playing hurt and the Devils were wiping the floor with us, 07 the Sabres were one of the best teams in the league, we got a win v. Pitt in 08 before being knocked out, and in 09 and 11 the Caps were just way better than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad