Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning: Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Really!

This is blowing my mind. Is there enough time to get the ice perfect?

New York in late May with one of the world's largest train stations directly under the arena. They're not getting it perfect.

Both teams also play on the same ice surface. A muddier track also benefits the Rangers with the way they've been playing below the circles.

And, as a native Long Islanders, y'all better watch it regarding Billy Joel.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's supposed to be in the low 80's on Friday. I am sure the ice will be really ****ing horrible. It's the night after a concert, there's not a chance in hell the ice will be primo.

Last edited:

Metranger

May 22, 2015
New York in late May with one of the world's largest train stations directly under the arena. They're not getting it perfect.

Both teams also play on the same ice surface.

A muddier track also benefits the Rangers with the way they've been playing below the circles.
It sure didn't help them in game 5 so how can it help them in game 7....I would think that Ranger brass would be very concerned. Maybe they aren't.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
What is absolutely disgusting is that our 3rd line didn't generare 1 shot on goal last night. That is largely Marty's fault. He coughs the puck up. Doesn't capitalize on his chances when he gets them. And can't ****ing grind on the boards when the other two members on his line specialize at this.

Fast on that line is a possession night mare for the opposing team. In the regular season that line held teams in their zone like no other.

Unbelievable. Marty's decline could not have come at a worse time. A whole line is useless now because of him.

I honestly feel that Hayes has to take a good chunk of the blame here as well. Don't get me wrong, Hayes is a beast, and the way he keeps control of the puck and fights off defenders is impressive and shows incredible poise for a rookie.

But he just holds onto it for soooo long and grinds everything to a halt. By the time he decides what he wants to do with it, every TB player is back and in solid defensive position. His linemates can take some of the blame (looking at MSL here) for not finding open lanes to give Hayes options, but it also doesn't even look like Hayes is looking for options until he has skated down to the faceoff circle, slowly turned around and skated back to the point, slowly starts to skate across the blueline, and then looks to do something with the puck.

He does most things so well, if he could speed up his decision making process when the puck is on his stick, he could probably get his line going regardless of MSL's downfall.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The ice being bad is one of the worst excuses ever. If you think MSG NHL ice is 'bad' you most definitely haven't skated at many rinks in your life.

It's a multi-purpose arena five floors above a train station. It's not going to be as nice as a state of the art facility dedicated to perfect ice all season long, but its far from the disaster some make it out to be.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
I honestly feel that Hayes has to take a good chunk of the blame here as well. Don't get me wrong, Hayes is a beast, and the way he keeps control of the puck and fights off defenders is impressive and shows incredible poise for a rookie.

But he just holds onto it for soooo long and grinds everything to a halt. By the time he decides what he wants to do with it, every TB player is back and in solid defensive position. His linemates can take some of the blame (looking at MSL here) for not finding open lanes to give Hayes options, but it also doesn't even look like Hayes is looking for options until he has skated down to the faceoff circle, slowly turned around and skated back to the point, slowly starts to skate across the blueline, and then looks to do something with the puck.

He does most things so well, if he could speed up his decision making process when the puck is on his stick, he could probably get his line going regardless of MSL's downfall.

Have to agree, he has puck possession skills we haven't had in years but he always holds onto it for a second too long. That's one of those things he will learn with more experience.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
The ice being bad is one of the worst excuses ever. If you think MSG NHL ice is 'bad' you most definitely haven't skated at many rinks in your life.

It's a multi-purpose arena five floors above a train station. It's not going to be as nice as a state of the art facility dedicated to perfect ice all season long,

but its far from the disaster some make it out to be.
Ok. Let's hope so.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Chadwick and Gordon announced my first Ranger game I ever watched, I can still picture their voices in my head. "Shoot the puck Barry, shoot the puck". They were awesome.

The Rangers have had some elite announcing in my life time.

Good times and excellent memories. At some point I want to copy all my childhood friends video's of Rangers games and do a massive binge watch of Chadwick and Gordon.

One of my favorite quotes came after he retired. Chadwick moved to the North fork of Long Island. "I love it out here" he said "we're so far east the next stop is Portugal."

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

It's a multi-purpose arena five floors above a train station. It's not going to be as nice as a state of the art facility dedicated to perfect ice all season long, but its far from the disaster some make it out to be.

I hate the bad ice excuse. This isn't the 70s.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

I remember reading an article stating players voted MSG as worst ice in the league. Ill try to dig it up

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, and he will only get better. I remember when the Tavares vs Hedman debate was rolling and everyone jumped on Hedman after Sweden lost to Canada in the WJC, I said that it more or less was a lock that Hedman one day at worst would be a candidate for the Norris Trophy. He is probably the best skating 6'6 player ever, and he is not a wuz and he can fire the puck. With that reach, and mind you he is still growing into his body, he will be a force for a real long time. I still think he got a bit of an unpolished aura out there, but these guys hit their prime around 30 not 25.

Tampa look to have the future ahead of them if they can manage the cap and keep the team together...

This for sure. It would be funny if Callahan ended up cap strapping them. Hedman has been in my opinion the best player on the ice. It's unnatural to see a guy that big skate that well. Scary good.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I remember reading an article stating players voted MSG as worst ice in the league. Ill try to dig it up

I remember similar stories in the old days...with Edmonton and Calgary having the best. Maybe things have changed...I dunno.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
If the ice was bad, I would have to think that it would hurt opponents moreso than the home team that is used to it. No?

LongsufferingRangerf

Apr 7, 2015
Good times and excellent memories. At some point I want to copy all my childhood friends video's of Rangers games and do a massive binge watch of Chadwick and Gordon.

One of my favorite quotes came after he retired. Chadwick moved to the North fork of Long Island. "I love it out here" he said "we're so far east the next stop is Portugal."

Spring of 1979 I was a HS Senior. Bill Chadwick is the speaker at the Staten Island HS Hockey Association awards dinner...this is right after the Rangers lost to the Habs in the SC Final after beating the Islanders in an exciting series.

Bill Chadwick steps to the podium and gives a very good speech and as he closes predicts that the NY Rangers will win a Cup before the Islanders will, and guarantees it.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Spring of 1979 I was a HS Senior. Bill Chadwick is the speaker at the Staten Island HS Hockey Association awards dinner...this is right after the Rangers lost to the Habs in the SC Final after beating the Islanders in an exciting series.

Bill Chadwick steps to the podium and gives a very good speech and as he closes predicts that the NY Rangers will win a Cup before the Islanders will, and guarantees it.

Funny! I too was a HS senior in 1979. I traveled by bus to Montreal to watch the Rangers-Habs with the Rangers Fan Club at the old Forum (for the younger generation; that's the name of the arena, not a website! LOL). We won game 1, then Larocque got pinged in the noggin by a puck in warmups.....Dryden came in and stoned us, turned the series in the Habs' favor. If not for that stroke of rotten luck, Chadwick would have been correct! Dryden retired after that series. Ugh.

LongsufferingRangerf

Apr 7, 2015
Funny! I too was a HS senior in 1979. I traveled by bus to Montreal to watch the Rangers-Habs with the Rangers Fan Club at the old Forum (for the younger generation; that's the name of the arena, not a website! LOL). We won game 1, then Larocque got pinged in the noggin by a puck in warmups.....Dryden came in and stoned us, turned the series in the Habs' favor. If not for that stroke of rotten luck, Chadwick would have been correct! Dryden retired after that series. Ugh.

For the Islanders series we had to go into the city to watch the games...outer boroughs didn't have cable so we went to a different bar for every game...By Game 6 every bar was packed, my friends and I actually bought tickets and watched the game in the Felt Forum...for you youngsters that's now the Theater at MSG.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
For the Islanders series we had to go into the city to watch the games...outer boroughs didn't have cable so we went to a different bar for every game...By Game 6 every bar was packed, my friends and I actually bought tickets and watched the game in the Felt Forum...for you youngsters that's now the Theater at MSG.

Oh man, the memories. I was lucky to have a friend that had cable TV. Remember those plastic boxes with the big push-button switches to select the channels? Luckily one channel broadcast the Ranger home games.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
A lot of chatter coming out of the TB locker room. Seems like they're trying to take the pressure off of themselves.

I'll tell you what, the most important thing about this game is the Rangers coming out flying and hopefully overwhelming TB and scoring early and not letting Bishop feel comfortable.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The ice is going to be the same for both teams. Its not like the rangers have to skate in **** while the bolts get to play on ice hand crafted by the gods. Better team will win, ice is a sad excuse.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
The ice is going to be the same for both teams. Its not like the rangers have to skate in **** while the bolts get to play on ice hand crafted by the gods. Better team will win, ice is a sad excuse.

Tampa will skate on ice made from Unicorn tears.:shakehead

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It sure didn't help them in game 5 so how can it help them in game 7....I would think that Ranger brass would be very concerned. Maybe they aren't.

Tampa's very solid defensive outing had a helluva lot more to do with the outcome than the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad