Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets 3/14/13 - Tort-O-Rella

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With permanent ink on your body you should be more positive

I know you are joking. At least I hope you are joking.

I'm not blind to what is going on. I'm not going to look for reasons to make thsi team into something that they are not.

I love the Rangers. But I'm proud of that fact that I am not a biased Rangers fan and I'm proud of the fact that I call a spade a spade in regards to what I see.

The Rangers are a team that CAN make the Playoffs. Staal needs to get healthy and both Gaborik and Richards need to get their collective **** together.

Failing those three getting back into and staying in the line up and playing better, the Rangers are going to miss the PO's.

Another thing, we are soft as hell. We have guys that have high "hits" totals, but do not seem to be the team that initiates tempo or sets the pace of the game and when we do start doing that and grab a lead, we crawl into some form of defensive shell that allows teams to swarm us.

I have Rangers tattoed on a heart. There's to few Rangers today that play with any heart.

And just because I'm a fan, I'm not afraid to say that I am ashamed of this team on far to many occassions then I should be.

rtr1105

1995 • 2000 • 2003
Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey, USA
I'm not a Rangers fan, but what do you guys think about JT Miller? I caught some of the game last night and thought he looked pretty good defensively at least. I'm hearing otherwise here though reading these boards.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
I'm not a Rangers fan, but what do you guys think about JT Miller? I caught some of the game last night and thought he looked pretty good defensively at least. I'm hearing otherwise here though reading these boards.

For his age and NHL experience, his defense isn't bad at all. It's just not dependable.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Guys,

Can we stop the non-sense about being good on paper.

We have a solid top 6 on paper. Nash, Cally, Stepan, Hags, Richie and Gabby.

The rest of what we have are rookies that are still dripping wet behind the ears (Miller and Kreider) and talentless hacks (Boyle, Powe, Halpern, Pyatt, Asham and Haley)

We're not good on paper. We're medicore at best on paper.

The defence is all top 4. After that, back to talentless hacks. Eminger, Hamrlik, Stralman, Gilroy and Bikcel.

A slight nod to Stralman who has played well this year, but playing with those others guys exposes him and lately, he's been getting joked....REGULARLY.

Fine in Net.

Overall, we are medicore team that should be better but we've got Father Time doing a number in Richards and Gaborik deciding that he's to fragile to play hard anymore.

On paper, this team is a 7-10 seed and playoff fodder for Pitt or Boston.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Guys,

The rest of what we have are rookies that are still dripping wet behind the ears (Miller and Kreider) and talentless hacks (Boyle, Powe, Halpern, Pyatt, Asham and Haley)

The defence is all top 4. After that, back to talentless hacks. Eminger, Hamrlik, Stralman, Gilroy and Bikcel.

A slight nod to Stralman who has played well this year, but playing with those others guys exposes him and lately, he's been getting joked....REGULARLY.

Fine in Net.

Overall, we are medicore team that should be better but we've got Father Time doing a number in Richards and Gaborik deciding that he's to fragile to play hard anymore.

Except not, because we have the best goalie in the league, a great top 4 with a good number 5, what should be a great top six and what should also be part of a fine bottom six in Pyatt, Halpern and Powe.

On paper we look much better than we do on the ice. That's a serious problem.

Drewbackatu*

Guys,

Fine in Net.

Spoken like a true, realistic Ranger's fan! I couldn't have laid it out any better myself.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Those three don't deserve to be called hacks. Halpern is out there hustling.

And what have we gotten from those 4th line Hustlers?

Halpern? 26 games 1 assist and a-4
Powe? 23 games 0 points and -1

Zac Rinaldo for the Flyers? 24 games 3 goals 1 assist and -4

What are they if they are not hacks? Fine, they can kill a penalty, they hustle.

THEY ARE ****ING HACKS.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Except not, because we have the best goalie in the league, a great top 4 with a good number 5, what should be a great top six and what should also be part of a fine bottom six in Pyatt, Halpern and Powe.

On paper we look much better than we do on the ice. That's a serious problem.

Which means that WE ARE OVERRATED ON PAPER.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
And what have we gotten from those 4th line Hustlers?

Halpern? 26 games 1 assist and a-4
Powe? 23 games 0 points and -1

Zac Rinaldo for the Flyers? 24 games 3 goals 1 assist and -4

What are they if they are not hacks? Fine, they can kill a penalty, they hustle.

THEY ARE ****ING HACKS.

I get not everyone on the bottom line is an amazing goal scoring, play making talent. At least they're role players who have a pulse. I understand you can call players useless hacks, but what do you propose the Rangers do?

Would you have them call up all their rookies and throw them into the bottom lines? Go sign another hack from free agency?

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I just really hope that once we get on another winning streak (I'm optimistic it will happen) that Tortorella doesn't change the lines again. Find something that works and stick with it until it becomes evident its not working (Like a 3-4 game losing streak). Instead Tortorella has decided the lines could be better during a 4 game winning streak.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get not everyone on the bottom line is an amazing goal scoring, play making talent. At least they're role players who have a pulse. I understand you can call players useless hacks, but what do you propose the Rangers do?

Would you have them call up all their rookies and throw them into the bottom lines? Go sign another hack from free agency?

they don't have to have amasing goal scoring ability.

however, i find it utterly disgusting that these two guys between them and almost 50 games have 1 point between them.

Add Boyle and his 2 points and -7 in 22 games and bewteen that 4th line they still have less points that ZAC FRICKIN RINALDO.

That's three guys playing a total of 71 man games and all they have to show for themselves is 1 goal and 2 assists and a aggregate total of -12

What are they if they are not talentless hacks.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Guys,

Fine in Net.

Serious question, because I don't watch much of the rest of the league other than Vancouver (cause I live there).

Is our 5th and 6th defense really much worse than the rest of the league?

Aren't Eminger and Stralman (when our D is healthy) pretty average as far as bottom pairings go?

I get that there are a few stacked teams on D...but even Canucks are playing a pylon like Andrew Alberts because 4.2Mil Keith Ballard has been a healthy scratch the past two weeks due to his poor play.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Halpern and Powe need to be gone.

Pyatt - Boyle and Haley need to make op the teams 4th line.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
LW NEEDED - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Miller - Callahan (no questioning that these guys played well while Boyle sat)
Pyatt - Boyle - Haley

We can get 0 points and -5 from Kreider. At least he will get better. Powe and Halpern will just continue to get older.

The only problem as I see it is 2nd line LW and for Richards and Gabby to get their crap together.

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY

I'm not blind to what is going on. I'm not going to look for reasons to make thsi team into something that they are not.

I love the Rangers. But I'm proud of that fact that I am not a biased Rangers fan and I'm proud of the fact that I call a spade a spade in regards to what I see.

The Rangers are a team that CAN make the Playoffs. Staal needs to get healthy and both Gaborik and Richards need to get their collective **** together.

Failing those three getting back into and staying in the line up and playing better, the Rangers are going to miss the PO's.

Another thing, we are soft as hell. We have guys that have high "hits" totals, but do not seem to be the team that initiates tempo or sets the pace of the game and when we do start doing that and grab a lead, we crawl into some form of defensive shell that allows teams to swarm us.

I have Rangers tattoed on a heart. There's to few Rangers today that play with any heart.

And just because I'm a fan, I'm not afraid to say that I am ashamed of this team on far to many occassions then I should be.

Was kidding agree with most if not all with what you said.

Still a lot of games to be played a lot can happen just want to keep positive hope for the best.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Serious question, because I don't watch much of the rest of the league other than Vancouver (cause I live there).

Is our 5th and 6th defense really much worse than the rest of the league?

Aren't Eminger and Stralman (when our D is healthy) pretty average as far as bottom pairings go?

I get that there are a few stacked teams on D...but even Canucks are playing a pylon like Andrew Alberts because 4.2Mil Keith Ballard has been a healthy scratch the past two weeks due to his poor play.

Niether one is especially good at any aspect of the game.

I can deal with a bottm pairing that cannot generate offence, but they need to be better defensively and if that is an aspect of the game that eluds them, then they better be tough as nails.

Each guy misses on all three counts.

Sauer is SOOO missed. He solidifies our bottom pairing. He makes Stralman better. Eminger/Bickel/Gilroy/Hamrlik makes Stralman worse.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't agree with calling Stralman, Powe, and Halpern hacks but that's just me :dunno:

Considering Staal is injured, I think it wouldnt be outlandish to say that Stralman has been one of our best and most consistent defensemen this season.

Powe and Halpern are meh. They do their jobs, but not exceedingly well.

Kershaw

Guys,

Fine in Net.

This. Overrated top 6 players, overrated top pair, overrated 2nd pair, overrated 3rd pair, overrated depth, overrated coach, overrated prospects and overrated GM/scouting department. This team will probably make the playoffs, but it'll be another 1st or miraculous 2nd round exit at the hands of Pitts/Boston/Carolina. We're just plain overrated outside of the goalies. Time to start the rebuild.

16 To Stanley*

Those three don't deserve to be called hacks. Halpern is out there hustling.

Halpern can hustle all he wants, fact is, he's been **** in the scoring department and he was brought in to add a little offense on our 4th line. Powe is w/e, he's an upgrade over Rupp.

Calling Stralman who has arguably been our most steady d-man, imo, outside of Staal this year is juvenile.

Without him, our defense would be trash. He has been a blessing in disguise and i hope we lock him up long term if he keeps this today.

Apr 10, 2012
Halpern can hustle all he wants, fact is, he's been **** in the scoring department and he was brought in to add a little offense on our 4th line. Powe is w/e, he's an upgrade over Rupp.

Calling Stralman who has arguably been our most steady d-man, imo, outside of Staal this year is juvenile.

Without him, our defense would be trash. He has been a blessing in disguise and i hope we lock him up long term if he keeps this today.

lol... what? halpern was brought in to win faceoffs and kill penalties/be sound defensively. dunno where you heard he was brought in to add offense because that's a flat out lie. he scored all of 4 goals last season

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Good post.

I agree that the Rangers have gotten "softer" and that they're not going to go anywhere without Richards and Gaborik playing well.

If that happens, I think this team could make a run for the cup. It doesn't look very promising, though.

Another thing: the defense has been porous most of the season. Including McD, Girardi, and DZ - hell, those 3 have been terrible in the past few games. Coming from a McD fan boy, and one of the few people who doesn't like to pile on Del Zotto. But, the criticism is unavoidable. In the absence of Staal, I thought these players would have stepped it up, but they look worse than ever before. McDonagh is starting to play a lot better, though. He was excellent against the Caps and Jets. So, there's one positive.

I feel as though Girardi's straight up badness has been understated. He's been BAD. The mis-read he made on the GWG in the Sabres game was inexcusable. He also has a tendency to turn the puck over even if there's no forecheck pressure being put on him. He looks like a totally different player than he did last season.

Maybe it's the coaching, maybe it's the lack of conditioning, but this team is going NOWHERE with terrible offense AND terrible defense.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
This. Overrated top 6 players, overrated top pair, overrated 2nd pair, overrated 3rd pair, overrated depth, overrated coach, overrated prospects and overrated GM/scouting department. This team will probably make the playoffs, but it'll be another 1st or miraculous 2nd round exit at the hands of Pitts/Boston/Carolina. We're just plain overrated outside of the goalies. Time to start the rebuild.

Coming from somebody who clung to John Mitchell as the second coming of jesus christ because of advanced stats, are you just throwing the advanced stats out the window now to support your argument?

The team is in the top 10 league-wide of all the "important" advanced stats people often use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad