Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets 3/14/13 - Tort-O-Rella

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I knew losing Prust would be a big hit to this team, but his presence may have been taken for granted here. He did all of that and and he did it at the right time.

Prust had an ornate ability to take the pulse of the team on any given night and act accordingly. Its something intangible that sure seems like its worth the extra money right now. Boyle and Asham (who has had the worlds longest bout with back spasms) combined make more than Prust is making. I'd trade them both for a half a Prust right about now.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not everyone has gifted hands. But everybody has an ass. If you play like an ass, at least use your ass.

Meaning, get to the crease. Learn from Callahan. I'm extremely impressed with Cally's smartness, he knows exactly how to play to make himself as effective as possible.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
See, I dont think thats it. I dont think the majority of this team has the will or the ability to grind it out - especially the way last year's team did. They took pride in it.

This team is stuck in between and wondering what it should do. Sure, part of that is on Torts.

Part of it is on Richards and Gaborik for playing like **** when they played well in the same system last season.

A lot of it is on Sather for creating a bottom 6 that is a straight up debacle.

My point is theres plenty of blame to go around - so when I see the constant harping on one person (usually the coach) as some sort of magic bullet to fix things, it just comes off as nonsensical whining.

Yeah, same here. Lets not forget the loss of Staal which hurts, there are a lot of reasons why things are so stale now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
In fairness to Hank, I think hes been his old self for a solid 15 games now. He was fantastic last night and the only reason that game was 2-1 for a while.

The other guys flat out stink, and the bottom 6, which Sather decided not to pay much attention to at all, has stunk too.

I think he's been good, but not his old self. He's been dropping rebounds into traffic areas like nobodies business. He's never been a guy who traps a lot of pucks, but he was always good at directing the puck away from the front of the net. He doesn't seem to be doing that as well this year.

Dorado*

It wasn't just Prust though. Losing Dubinsky I think hurt in that department as well. And losing Rupp, while he was not a good hockey player, didn't help the situation.

The team needs 2-3 bottom-6ers who can drop the gloves and turn the momentum with a hit or create a spark.

Haley, right now, is all that is there and he has not been consistent.

I agree NYR could use some toughness . Tops in league in fights last year and almost won the Presidents Trophy . This year bottom in fights and middle of the pack . But , what's really missing besides consistent scoring from the big players is ANY PRODUCTION FROM BOTTOM 6 .

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think he's been good, but not his old self. He's been dropping rebounds into traffic areas like nobodies business. He's never been a guy who traps a lot of pucks, but he was always good at directing the puck away from the front of the net. He doesn't seem to be doing that as well this year.

Bi-product of whats in front of him.

If anyone pays attention they'd realize he's the reason we're even in these games to begin with.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Yeah i see some of that as well.

He's still in control but hes not in A+ form.

For some reason he was really good with the puck last night though. Which was incredibly odd for him. lol

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Bi-product of whats in front of him.

If anyone pays attention they'd realize he's the reason we're even in these games to begin with.

Exactly, Henrik has been fine. He is 0.000000001% of the real problem that plagues this team.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I hate to be the voice of reason,but do you guys really think we suck? Sucking to me means 5 or 6 games under at this point of the season..We are 13-11-2...I thought they battled hard last night and Hank was great...Sometimes the puck just doesnt go in,and right now we cant buy a goal...We arent trading MDZ,you dont give up on this kid..Trade Gabby??For who,and trading him when we cant score makes no sense...I would love to see CK on the 3rd line with people who have some talent..Miller to me look over matched and not ready...What we need more than anything is patience and let this team figure it out..Getting Staal back will be huge...You have to think with Hank,our D and our top 6 we will be there in the end..I am not concerned in the least..Even in this shortened season theres plenty of time to right the ship.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Prust had an ornate ability to take the pulse of the team on any given night and act accordingly. Its something intangible that sure seems like its worth the extra money right now. Boyle and Asham (who has had the worlds longest bout with back spasms) combined make more than Prust is making. I'd trade them both for a half a Prust right about now.

He certainly was quite decorative on the ice.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Don't worry guize, we're only 26 games into the season with a short training camp and new players. They are probably just shaking off the rust.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Don't worry guize, we're only 26 games into the season with a short training camp and new players. They are probably just shaking off the rust.

lol

fast forward 3 weeks from now.

"Don't worry we're only 40 games into the season with a short training camp and new players. They are probably just shaking off the rust"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not everyone has gifted hands. But everybody has an ass. If you play like an ass, at least use your ass.

Meaning, get to the crease. Learn from Callahan. I'm extremely impressed with Cally's smartness, he knows exactly how to play to make himself as effective as possible.

Well said.

It seems the real problem is that a lot of guys are gliding around waiting for someone else to take charge. That's a big area where Dubinsky and Prust are missed. They didn't put up a lot of points, but ther presense on the ice was felt and they could push the rest of the team to work harder and get their feet and hearts moving. Too many people just look at the stat sheet when valuing the worth of players.

If the puck isn't on your stick, do something. Go to the net, make a check, cover your man, move your feet. Make something happen. Don't wait for Someone Else to do it.

*Bob Richards*

I hate to be the voice of reason,but do you guys really think we suck? Sucking to me means 5 or 6 games under at this point of the season..We are 13-11-2...I thought they battled hard last night and Hank was great...Sometimes the puck just doesnt go in,and right now we cant buy a goal...We arent trading MDZ,you dont give up on this kid..Trade Gabby??For who,and trading him when we cant score makes no sense...I would love to see CK on the 3rd line with people who have some talent..Miller to me look over matched and not ready...What we need more than anything is patience and let this team figure it out..Getting Staal back will be huge...You have to think with Hank,our D and our top 6 we will be there in the end..I am not concerned in the least..Even in this shortened season theres plenty of time to right the ship.

Everyone is pissed. That much is natural. Overreaction tends to come with it. I agree with you though. Losing sucks but we aren't trapped in the abyss. Lots of hockey left for this team to get its **** straight.

I just really like how this is worded.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Simply saying he's not on the very top of his game. No hidden messages.

Bad enough so many on this team are underachieving at the moment, we don't need to waste a second on Hank. Lets stick to the guys who are really earning our ire ;)
lol

fast forward 3 weeks from now.

"Don't worry we're only 40 games into the season with a short training camp and new players. They are probably just shaking off the rust"

We may be hearing stuff like that up until the end of the season, when we're 'battling' for the 8th spot. Right after slats trades for two aging vets to 'solidify' the playoff run.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Bad enough so many on this team are underachieving at the moment, we don't need to waste a second on Hank. Lets stick to the guys who are really earning our ire ;)

We may be hearing stuff like that up until the end of the season, when we're 'battling' for the 8th spot. Right after slats trades for two aging vets to 'solidify' the playoff run.

So true. So sad.

*Bob Richards*

I shudder thinking about what this team would look like if Gabby and Richards were still playing in mud and Dubi and Anisimov didn't get traded for Nash.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Hags/Stepan/Nash
Pyatt/Richards/Gaborik
Kreider/Miller/Callahan
Powe/Halpern/Boyle - Haley

Bring back/try these lines. I thought we were the best offensive threat we've been all season when we had that 3rd line. Miller has been a turnover machine as of late but he also is never going to score any goals with the line he is currently on.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I was dreading waking up and reading this thread. We're in quite the pickle here- too talented on paper to be where we are but here we are anyway. Not fun. This has probably been my least favorite season of the post-Gomez Rangers so far. Still have faith they'll right the ship but this ******** short season doesn't give them much time.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Hags/Stepan/Nash
Pyatt/Richards/Gaborik
Kreider/Miller/Callahan

Bring back/try these lines. I thought we were the best offensive threat we've been all season when we had that 3rd line. Miller has been a turnover machine as of late but he also is never going to score any goals with the line he is currently on.

Thats what I want to see, but never will happen with our coach. He even refused to unite the top line of Hags-step-nash so def not gonna hold my breath.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
See, I dont think thats it. I dont think the majority of this team has the will or the ability to grind it out - especially the way last year's team did. They took pride in it.

This team is stuck in between and wondering what it should do. Sure, part of that is on Torts.

Part of it is on Richards and Gaborik for playing like **** when they played well in the same system last season.

A lot of it is on Sather for creating a bottom 6 that is a straight up debacle.

My point is theres plenty of blame to go around - so when I see the constant harping on one person (usually the coach) as some sort of magic bullet to fix things, it just comes off as nonsensical whining.

Totally agree.
Amazing how Sather escapes all criticism and will has that job for life status

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hags/Stepan/Nash
Pyatt/Richards/Gaborik
Kreider/Miller/Callahan

+1. The personnel is in place everywhere but the coaching staff to let the skill fly with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad