Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets 3/14/13 - Tort-O-Rella

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I don't think we suck. When we win games, we get solid contributions from our key players like Nash, Cally, Henke, and our D looks sharp and the team looks like it's starting to come around and tighten up. Then we lose a couple of games and these are games where not only do key players not show up, but everyone's skating around confused and lost and nothing seems to click at all. That's where my frustration comes from. I feel like even last season when we lost games we still battled and just happened to lose but there was still a sense of, "Ok, next game we'll be back at it." Now? No one knows what to expect because things just don't seem to click.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
They don't seem to click because, like other have said, this team doesn't know what it is yet. Last year the team was MUCH easier to define. The addition of Nash changed all that. Now this team was supposed to be considered a horse that could run with the top teams, but that was on paper. Still lacking depth, this team needed all those accolades on paper to come through 100% for the hope to be realized. Talk about high expectations. Then comes some adversity, injuries, all of a sudden we don't have much bite, some nights none.

If the team is healthy they can turn it around by carving out an identity, it's not too late. I look around the league and guys are dropping like flies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I shudder thinking about what this team would look like if Gabby and Richards were still playing in mud and Dubi and Anisimov didn't get traded for Nash.

I cry thinking about what this team would be like if Gabby and Richards were playing like the real Gabby and Richards with Nash, paired with the recent play of Stepan and how hes clicking with Cally. 3 goals a night, easy.

*Bob Richards*

I cry thinking about what this team would be like if Gabby and Richards were playing like Gabby and Richards with Nash, paired with the recent play of Stepan and how hes clicking with Cally.

This is the New York Rangers. Great play is never homogeneous. A handful of guys ALWAYS have to be cold while another handful is hot.

I've accepted it as law with this team.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Gabby has officially turned into Drury!!! Even when he wins the puck (which is 5% of the time) he seems to flub the pass or shot. Something is completely off and I don't know if his game is salvageable at this point. Just like Drury who I loved in Buffalo followed the same path. I'm not saying its that extreme yet, only that this is how Drury looked at the beginning of the END:-(

I think you mean Richards

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
This is why a few of us are still optimistic. I don't think the system has generally failed us and that we lack massive depth: we are 5th, league wide, defensively. It just that if Richards and Gaborik would be playing like last year, nevermind their usual self in Richards' case, it would be a whole different story.

Now the big question for the remainder of the season: Is Torts able to remotivate Gaborik?

16 To Stanley*

Totally agree.
Amazing how Sather escapes all criticism and will has that job for life status

I think we actually have a ton of depth. But Torts (who i have been an advocate for since he got here) is utilizing it so poorly. Kreider should have had a shot this year. I don't give a **** about his defense, that's why we have a solid d-core.

Our lineup should be out there, the same way, every night, so they have the oppurtunity to mesh.

These lines, that have been posted above, i think, are pretty damn good and a constant threat offensively.

Hags-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Miller-Callahan
Powe-Halpern-Boyle
Haley
Asham

I don't see how that lineup doesn't score consistently.

Get Kreider the **** up here now and let him play. I'll live with his faults.

Dorado*

Don't wanna be another pile on the " system " guy but asking players to be hard on the puck who don't play a physical hard on the puck game seems kind of stupid .
The subtle biggest failure on the NYR is Brad Richards . He single handedly kills this team by making us extremely weak up the middle . Steps been a good 2C . Boyle or Miller at 3c with 6 points between them is atrocious .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think we actually have a ton of depth. But Torts (who i have been an advocate for since he got here) is utilizing it so poorly. Kreider should have had a shot this year. I don't give a **** about his defense, that's why we have a solid d-core.

Our lineup should be out there, the same way, every night, so they have the oppurtunity to mesh.

These lines, that have been posted above, i think, are pretty damn good and a constant threat offensively.

Hags-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Miller-Callahan
Powe-Halpern-Boyle
Haley
Asham

Kreider isn't some offensive dynamo this season. He hasn't been consistent even at the AHL level.

Miller has not looked good AT ALL defensively as a center. Hence why he is playing wing.

Gaborik has looked like dog-****.

16 To Stanley*

Kreider isn't some offensive dynamo this season. He hasn't been consistent even at the AHL level.

Miller has not looked good AT ALL defensively as a center. Hence why he is playing wing.

Gaborik should be on the RW.

Miller looked ten times better as a center than a winger.

Kreider deserves his shot in the NHL. I don't care about what he did in the AHL. He proved that he can provide offense in the NHL last year. He should be given a free pass. He's fast and a good forechecker when he's playing his game properly. We don't have guys who are doing that at any sort of level this year. Can it really be worse than the rest of our bottom 6? I can't even remember the last time they scored a ****ing goal.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
This team reminds me alot of the pre-2005 Rangers.

High priced guys that have come here to ****ing retire and I'm getting sick of it.

Maybe Richards, but a 40 goal scorer at 32 will still get a big contract. So I'm not sure what's up Gaborik's ass.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The real question should be: What did the Rangers do on June 14 1994 that could've cursed the team again?

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
The real question should be: What did the Rangers do on June 14 1994 that could've cursed the team again?

The Rangers got their 50 years worth of good luck with all the Vancouver pucks that hit the post in Game 7. Now we have to wait another ~30 years.

RangersChamps2417

May 9, 2011
Northern NJ
I watched some documentary on the 94 season yesterday that was on NHL network. It was interesting what happened during that time. In 91-92, the Rangers won the presidents trophy and had the first seed in the Conference. They were probably the best team, and were upset in the 2nd round by the Pens, who ended up winning the Cup. The next season, 92-93, the Rangers failed to make the playoffs. This was due to injuries throughout the lineup, and a bad finish. The next season was 93-94. We all know what happened that year. However, the difference from 92-93 to 93-94 was two things. One was the hiring of Mike Keenan (who I view as very similar to Torts) and the other was the trade deadline of 93-94, where the Rangers got the grit that they lacked on the team that sort of pushed them over the edge. Basically here's how I look at this season going forward:
The Lockout has killed us. We have had injuries, poor play and inconsistent coaching from the start. The lack of training camp killed the PP in my opinion. We can possibly right the ship, go into the playoffs as a lower seed and get hot and hey, anyting can happen. If we go down this route, some grit NEEDS to be added to the bottom 6 at the deadline. Idk where we can get it or who we should pick up, but it needs to happen. Staal will be back for the strech run, so that'll help as well. The other thing that can happen is this: we miss the playoffs or get the 8th seed and knocked out in the first round. If this happens, I think Torts should get canned. I see him as being too much of a hardass that just doesn't fit this team anymore. We can find another coach that speaks to the players on this team. Sather can add the bottom six needs in the offseason, and we can go to war. I feel the difference of the two scenarios is what happens at the deadline. If the Rangers stand pat, we probably do nothing this season and face mediocrity. However, if we make necessary moves (even if they're tough to swallow) I think we can have a chance to do what we all thought was possible before the season started.

Drewbackatu*

Hags-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Miller-Callahan
Powe-Halpern-Boyle
Haley
Asham

We have a "ton of depth?" Who??
We've gotten two(2) goals total from six(6) players(Boyle, Asham, Haley, Halpern, Powe, Mashinter, etcetera).

We have Nash, Cally, Stepan, Hagelin who all play hard; a washed up looking Richards who leaves drop passes for nobody; the epitome of a one dimensional player in Gaborik who is a goal scorer only and who brings absolutely nothing else to the table.

Kreider doesn't deserve to be up here because he doesn't utilize his god given skills properly; when he learns to play hard all the time(something he never did in Boston College) then he can be brought up and become the "next savior" in the eyes of some of the unrealistic fans around here!

There is only one person to blame for this mess of a team and that's Glen "Savior" Sather who is completing his 13th season as GM here(a job he has for life) and who has done exactly nothing other than make a few good deals to rectify the mindless signings he has made in the past.

Apart from that, Korpikowski for Lisin, trading off Kundratek for nothing, letting Parenteau(12 g,15 assists this year)walk away; the list goes on and on.

This team as presently constructed is going nowhere fast!

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
At the end of the day, that was a typical NYR game. Sad to say, but its true.

They don't play like a "TEAM"

Bunch of individuals who have no idea where the puck is going to go, even when it's on a teammates stick.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
dubinsky had a relatively average year. he is a 10-15 goal guy who can play defense. the columbus ****ing blue jackets are trying to trade him now that says something. anisimov was my favorite player last year and giving him up hurt. that said arty has all the talent in the world but is incredibly streaky. he may have one of the best shots ive ever seen but you dont see it all that often. i still take gabs over both of these players

Is this really true about Dubinsky? I'll get burned at the stake by most for this but trade Pyatt for him! :yo:

Columbus wouldn't do that I don't think.

Dorado*

We have a "ton of depth?" Who??
We've gotten two(2) goals total from six(6) players(Boyle, Asham, Haley, Halpern, Powe, Mashinter, etcetera).

We have Nash, Cally, Stepan, Hagelin who all play hard; a washed up looking Richards who leaves drop passes for nobody; the epitome of a one dimensional player in Gaborik who is a goal scorer only and who brings absolutely nothing else to the table.

Kreider doesn't deserve to be up here because he doesn't utilize his god given skills properly; when he learns to play hard all the time(something he never did in Boston College) then he can be brought up and become the "next savior" in the eyes of some of the unrealistic fans around here!

There is only one person to blame for this mess of a team and that's Glen "Savior" Sather who is completing his 13th season as GM here(a job he has for life) and who has done exactly nothing other than make a few good deals to rectify the mindless signings he has made in the past.

Apart from that, Korpikowski for Lisin, trading off Kundratek for nothing, letting Parenteau(12 g,15 assists this year)walk away; the list goes on and on.

This team as presently constructed is going nowhere fast!

My feelings exactly .
Trade / waive :
Boyle
PYatt
ASHAM
Gaborik
Buy out Richards
MDZ
Get tougher faster younger .

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ

We must be watching different games because Miller has looked 100 times better as center than a winger. He's been making way more turnovers at wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad