Rumor: Rangers, Islanders and Devils aggressively seeking Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Lundvist is a RHD out of the SEL who had an excellent year. He's already been tapped to play on the top pairing for Lulea next season. He's an excellent skater who moves very well in tight spaces and can play in all situations. He was really an offensive minded player in his time as a Junior, but he was on the top shutdown pairing for Sweden at the WJC and excelled there. He has top-pairing potential, but he might end up as an elite #3 who can play in all situations. He's a little small but he's incredibly smart and tenacious.

Miller is still learning the defensive side of the game but again made tremendous strides this year. Total hockey stick curve on his development trajectory. Huge, rangy player who covers a ton of ice and can close the gap very well on rushing opponents with his body. Supremely comfortable in the offensive zone and will likely be a key option on an NHL power-play. The scary thing is he hasn't filled out his frame yet and when he does he could be a top-pairing monster who can play 25+ minutes a game in every role. He's a tremendous athlete and I think he has a very high floor as well in the sense he could carve out a strong career as a bottom pairing player if he stalls in his development.

That all being said, I'd be surprised to see either of them dealt in a Trouba deal. The Rangers are very high on both players and with Miller's rapid development and Lundkvist playing multiple full seasons in the SEL, both guys are on the fast track to the NHL. I think the Rangers probably have a good feel for the situation, and that they're on a short list of destinations that Trouba is willing to sign with. So that will probably keep their premium prospects off the board. Andersson is the one guy who might be out there because they picked up Howden after they had drafted him and he's further ahead in his development having already carved out a spot as the #3C.
Everything I've read here suggests there is good potential for a Trouba deal with the NYR. You've got a good base of players and prospects to work with, but a top RHD like Trouba accelerates your timeline to be competitive immensely. Have no doubt, if Wpg could hold onto him, we would have and would still do it, but Trouba has a different agenda.
Now it may come down to a sign and deal, or Wpg may allow NYR to discuss prospects of signing with his agent, or not. But from all I've seen, it will come down to Wpg wanting from some team a 1st, prospect & youngish player. Buchnevich, 20OA, and Lundvist/Miller fits the bill

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Everything I've read here suggests there is good potential for a Trouba deal with the NYR. You've got a good base of players and prospects to work with, but a top RHD like Trouba accelerates your timeline to be competitive immensely. Have no doubt, if Wpg could hold onto him, we would have and would still do it, but Trouba has a different agenda.
Now it may come down to a sign and deal, or Wpg may allow NYR to discuss prospects of signing with his agent, or not. But from all I've seen, it will come down to Wpg wanting from some team a 1st, prospect & youngish player. Buchnevich, 20OA, and Lundvist/Miller fits the bill

Adding any single player doesn't accelerate anything. Does he improve the defense? Absolutely, but sticking him on the top pairing doesn't mean that all of the Rangers young players automatically take a step forward. Those kids are going to develop at whatever pace they develop at regardless of whether or not Trouba is in the mix and until they take those steps, the Rangers will likely continue to miss the playoffs.

The Rangers have been linked to Trouba for what seems like forever. I have no doubt that they're interested in acquiring him but it's going to be at a price they're comfortable with or they'll take their chances with letting their young players continue to develop. They know they're on his short list of destinations, so why overpay for a guy who could very well end up as a free agent in 12 months? Especially if thus far they haven't been given permission to talk to Overhardt about terms.

I think Miller is absolutely off the table. He's our best bet to end up as a top-pairing defensemen on the left side. We have a number of good options there for the middle and bottom pairing, but he's the one guy with star potential at LD. I know they're very high on Lundkivst, but maybe the addition of Fox means they're more willing to include him. I'd be surprised if he went, but stranger things have happened. The Rangers have been waiting for a while for Buchnevich to take a step forward and at the end of last season he finally stepped up from February onward.

Weirdly enough it might be the 20th overall that's a big sticking point. The Rangers have seemed very keen on making at least two picks in the top half of the first round this year. So unless they can get another pick that's higher than 20, they may elect to hold on to it.

There's no desperation in NY to make a move this big unless it fits into what they're willing to give up. Gorton has been preaching patience. JD joined the front office and has been echoing the same.

Reactions: bernmeister

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Trouba=2019 1st

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
My favourite part of this thread is all the Rangers fans saying they wouldn't want Trouba even though he'd be at worst their 2nd best player
We don’t want Trouba considering what the cost would be to acquire him, and sign him.

That shouldn’t be a difficult thing to comprehend for someone like yourself who’s shown to be a competent poster.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Of course it fits the bill. It's also an overpay.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
People make underpayment proposals in their own teams favor all the time but these asks by Winnipeggy fans are equally laughable

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Top pairing R/H defensemen don’t become available very often at age 25. When one does, if a team has the available assets to get a deal done, they go for it. Waiting an extra year or two and there’s no guarantee that type of player/piece of the puzzle is available.

Choose to wait and watch your division/conference rival solidify their blue line for the next 8 seasons while your search continues.

Reactions: Snowman

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Top pairing R/H defensemen don’t become available very often at age 25. When one does, if a team has the available assets to get a deal done, they go for it. Waiting an extra year or two and there’s no guarantee that type of player/piece of the puzzle is available.

Choose to wait and watch your division/conference rival solidify their blue line for the next 8 seasons while your search continues.

There are gears in motion in Trouba’s camp that everyone here is oblivious to. Is he going to sign with the team that trades for him? What type of contract will he want? Full NMC?

You dont just cave in to a GM’s demands like you’re proposing because he’s a high end young RHD. Without the other bits of information, it’s too risky and honestly, only a complete buffoon would give up those assets without knowing those specific details.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I doubt any of the other 30 teams would trade for him without an extension in place. Trading big pieces for Trouba and having him walk is the stuff that gets GMs fired.

Who says they’ll give up big pieces? Hey trouba you want to come to nyr ? Sure , you gonna sign 7 yrs? Nope ... alright jets he’s not signing longterm take so and so or off the table ,Same with other teams and jets can decide what they wanna do with that

He’s not forced to sign with club he doesn’t want to sign with

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I don't think Lundkvist/Buchnevich is the right combination that gets it done, and I also think that plus the WPG 1st is an overpayment on the Rangers part. I would think WPG would want to have a capable NHL defenseman, whether it's a veteran or a young defenseman who has shown NHL ability with the potential to be more than a 3rd pairing defenseman or a fringe NHLer. Tony DeAngelo seems to fit this criteria. From a Rangers fan perspective the dream is to lose Pionk and keep DeAngelo, but we all know this isn't going to happen.

If Trouba goes to the Rangers, my guess would be something along the lines of DeAngelo, WPG 1st, + for Trouba if Trouba signs an extension. The + can be a number of different things, depending on what the Jets want. A current roster player (i.e., Namestnikov, Vesey), or a decent prospect if they want to try and fill their prospect cupboards. It could also be another draft pick, though probably no more than a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: egelband

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I doubt any of the other 30 teams would trade for him without an extension in place. Trading big pieces for Trouba and having him walk is the stuff that gets GMs fired.
30 teams wouldn't be bidding for Trouba's services, And i doubt he has any desire to play for maybe 6 teams out of those 30 teams Detroit, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Tampa, Florida and Philly more then likely.

Reactions: egelband

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I would rather pay Erik Karlsson 11 million for 7 years than trade Buchnevich, Nils Lundkvist and a first rounder for Trouba.

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I don't think Lundkvist/Buchnevich is the right combination that gets it done, and I also think that plus the WPG 1st is an overpayment on the Rangers part. I would think WPG would want to have a capable NHL defenseman, whether it's a veteran or a young defenseman who has shown NHL ability with the potential to be more than a 3rd pairing defenseman or a fringe NHLer. Tony DeAngelo seems to fit this criteria. From a Rangers fan perspective the dream is to lose Pionk and keep DeAngelo, but we all know this isn't going to happen.

If Trouba goes to the Rangers, my guess would be something along the lines of DeAngelo, WPG 1st, + for Trouba if Trouba signs an extension. The + can be a number of different things, depending on what the Jets want. A current roster player (i.e., Namestnikov, Vesey), or a decent prospect if they want to try and fill their prospect cupboards. It could also be another draft pick, though probably no more than a 3rd rounder.

Trouba's good. But he's not a 1st round pick+ better than DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad