Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We know how meticulous Drury is, so he obviously felt he's the right guy for the job and didn't think of waiting anymore

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This just makes a lot of sense to me based on what the team needs right now. I guess we'll see what the shelf-life is.

AV also made sense the day he was hired and we had two really good years. The problem with AV is that once he hit the expiration date, like they all do, the train came clean off the rails because that man will die on a hill like nobody else I've ever seen.

As for Quinn, I just think he's an assistant at this level and doesn't have the structure or management to be a head coach. He excelled at some skills. Panarin has had his best years here and so did Zibanejad under Quinn, but then they were allowed/had to cheat because we didn't really have a gameplan. Kakko improved his defense 180 degrees, but wasn't rewarded with more time. Metrics show that Gauthier actually did forecheck pretty effectively for us, but then he never played.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This one is personal for me.

As some of you know, I had an adult son named Gerard who died many years ago. I’m also a jersey collector and about 25 years ago I was looking for a jersey with a Red Wings 60th Anniversary patch. My Gerard found this shirt on a web site and convinced me to buy it. I’ve had a lot of offers to sell it through the years but it has always stayed in my collection. It always will.

My Gerard and I always got a kick out of seeing his name spelled Gerald on a hockey card, much like would always happen with my son.

I’ve always liked Gerard Gallant as a player and a coach. He is the combination of skill and sandpaper that you need to win in this era. I believe he is the right person for this job. Believe me, I am thrilled on many different levels tonight.

upload_2021-6-14_14-59-51.jpeg

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Who was it that said they knew Quinn and thought it would be done sometime soon? I think that was like 2 days ago, well done.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Gallant is the Paul Stastny of coaching hires.

Remember years ago when Paul Stastny was the biggest prize in free agency? Not a bad player by any means but hardly something to get overly excited about.

That's how I feel about Gallant. He's a good coach, but I feel there were better candidates available in other years. Unfortunate timing for the Rangers.

That said, I think Gallant will do better than Quinn and if we're lucky, he squeezes the most out of this team and gets us far into the play offs.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Also interesting to note that maybe we hold the pieces to get 'Gallant kinda guys' he's never been able to have a crack at before ?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
This one is personal for me.

As some of you know, I had an adult son named Gerard who died many years ago. I’m also a jersey collector and about 25 years ago I was looking for a jersey with a Red Wings 60th Anniversary patch. My Gerard found this shirt on a web site and convinced me to buy it. I’ve had a lot of offers to sell it through the years but it has always stayed in my collection. It always will.

My Gerard and I always got a kick out of seeing his name spelled Gerald on a hockey card, much like would always happen with my son.

I’ve always liked Gerard Gallant as a player and a coach. He is the combination of skill and sandpaper that you need to win in this era. I believe he is the right person for this job. Believe me, I am thrilled on many different levels tonight.

View attachment 446670
Thank you for sharing all of that with us. <3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gallant is the Paul Stastny of coaching hires.

Remember years ago when Paul Stastny was the biggest prize in free agency? Not a bad player by any means but hardly something to get overly excited about.

That's how I feel about Gallant. He's a good coach, but I feel there were better candidates available in other years. Unfortunate timing for the Rangers.

That said, I think Gallant will do better than Quinn and if we're lucky, he squeezes the most out of this team and gets us far into the play offs.

I tend to feel like Gallant was the best cross section of ability and what was out there. Personally, I feel like he's a somewhat limited coach and will be another "in-between" piece. I can't say I'm happy or unhappy, so much as I feel like I kind of at least know what we're getting with Gallant --- good and bad.

The biggest thing for me is that we really start focusing on the bluechip young talent we have --- particularly at forward. I don't ever want to consistently see the Rooneys, PDGs, and Blackwells of the world getting 50 percent or double the time of those three game after game. That needs to stop, PERIOD.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I tend to feel like Gallant was the best cross section of ability and what was out there. Personally, I feel like he's a somewhat limited coach and will be another "in-between" piece. I can't say I'm happy or unhappy, so mush as I feel like I kind of at least know what we're getting with Gallant --- good and bad.

The biggest thing for me is that we really start focusing on the bluechip young talent we have --- particularly at forward. I don't ever want to consistently see the Rooneys, PDGs, and Blackwells of the world getting 50 percent or double the time of those three game after game. That needs to stop, PERIOD.
Other than Trotz are there coaches that aren't in-between pieces?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad