Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Honestly the style that Gallant will want doesn’t differ much from Quinn’s.

The question is can he get this roster and whatever upgrades made to it to all buy in and play it consistently and also make the necessary in game adjustments that DQ always had trouble making.

I think this is his “thing”, no? He gets players to buy what he’s selling. Guys play for him.

Reactions: LaffyTaffyNYR

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
w3CwZylw_400x400.jpg

Reactions: One Winged Angel

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think he's shown a good balance of having a structure and letting the team he has being the team he has.

The biggest criticism is shelf life and I don't really care because that's every coach. There's only so long before the rest of the league knows your tendencies with a given roster.

Damn, 2014 is the last time we didn't run the old 0-5.

I think shelf life with him has something to do with wanting more say in the front office.

What other reason is there for him to be fired by two teams that he turned into winners, especially an expansion team that made it to the SCF in his inaugural year?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think shelf life with him has something to do with wanting more say in the front office.

What other reason is there for him to be fired by two teams that he turned into winners, especially an expansion team that made it to the SCF in his inaugural year?
He definitely meddles. But we just committed to Drury in a big way and you have to think that came up.

Reactions: egelband

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

The style wasn't the problem with Quinn.

The question is can he get this roster and whatever upgrades made to it to all buy in and play it consistently and also make the necessary in game adjustments that DQ always had trouble making.

That was all of the problems with Quinn. He lost the room. He was coaching like he was coaching a college team. He was making year 1 mistakes in year 3. He couldn't make in-game adjustments. He was stifling creativity for young players and giving questionable minutes to other players. He didn't play the 1st overall pick on the power play.

Quinn couldn't stop tripping over himself.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The 411 on Gallant is that he has ability to get players to buy into a system and over-achieve. The downside is that he coaches on instinct and that tends to wear out quicker as the competition adjusts. People talk about the shelf-life and the belief is that it's not so much that the players turn on him so much as you can do the ra-ra routine for so long before the players start questioning the strategy.

That's where the crossroads comes into play. If he can bridge the strategic with the personal, his success will be the Rangers success and both can reap the rewards.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He definitely meddles. But we just committed to Drury in a big way and you have to think that came up.

Absolutely. I would imagine they have an understanding, but I also imagine there will come a time where Gallant might want to interject more and that might ultimately lead to what ends up with him saying goodbye to New York.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Completely agree. To the point about buy in I expect the answer is yes, and that is why I am happy with the hire. Gallant seems to be more of a motivator/big picture guy who gets players to buy in vs an x's and o's type of coach.

In my biased opinion based on incomplete information, the NYR needed upgrades in both of those areas last year. I think they will get a big upgrade on the former, the latter may depend on the rest of Gallant's staff and what Drury does to the roster.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I really did not the Gorton and JD firings. It just wasn’t right. But at the same time, they may have kept Quinn around and that would have been a monumental mistake. It is hard to tell though if moving onto a new coach was part of the plan for JG/JD considering Drury was the righthand man to JG, or was this Drury’s decision with pressure from Sather/Dolan. Hard to tell. But getting rid of Quinn and hiring Galant is a massive upgrade. They got the right guy in here.

Now go deal with the two drafts and the rest of the offseason. Make the forward group deeper and more difficult to play against. Get a quality veteran D (Oleksiak or Martinez), not Brendan Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad