Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is what I wanted so I’m happy. Simple as that. Let’s see if those of us that feel this way we’re right.

What I expect:

- proper starts to games
- sensible ice time distribution
- not looking clueless against heavy forechecks
- 1OA and 2OA production out of Kakko and Laf
- a modern play style and identity

Happy day.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Other than Trotz are there coaches that aren't in-between pieces?

I think some guys have more potential that others to get you through the prime years/windows.

Unless we're getting philosophical, in which case everything is temporary and in transition.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
5d9rw3.gif

Need one with him calling Gallant Super Nintendo Chalmers.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yes. Very happy about this.

The Rangers got the best coach available this offseason.

As I’ve said before I think they have gotten the right coach at the right time in his career to take this team to the next level.

It will be interesting to see the dynamic of how the star players (young and old) personalities fit with his.

Excited to move into the next chapter of Rangers hockey, LGR!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interestingly, I get some "Trotz before he finally won the cup" vibes from Gallant.

I think it's an interesting crossroads for him.

If he follows the same trend here, it's gonna be really hard for him to shake the perception that he's a speed boost type, but not necessarily the guy you bring in for a serious run.

If he takes it to the next level, he's gonna be writing his own ticket for the rest of his career.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Remember when we replaced a non-defensive coach in Ruff with a full time veteran defensive coach and our defense immediately had structure and produced a Norris Trophy finalist? In theory, the improvement is just as big, if not bigger. Hopefully Gallant brings in good assistants.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Looking back now if the plan was always to move on from Gorton and hand Drury the keys it was actually genius in hindsight hindsight make the move under the cover of that giant distraction that Wilson created

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
This one is personal for me.

As some of you know, I had an adult son named Gerard who died many years ago. I’m also a jersey collector and about 25 years ago I was looking for a jersey with a Red Wings 60th Anniversary patch. My Gerard found this shirt on a web site and convinced me to buy it. I’ve had a lot of offers to sell it through the years but it has always stayed in my collection. It always will.

My Gerard and I always got a kick out of seeing his name spelled Gerald on a hockey card, much like would always happen with my son.

I’ve always liked Gerard Gallant as a player and a coach. He is the combination of skill and sandpaper that you need to win in this era. I believe he is the right person for this job. Believe me, I am thrilled on many different levels tonight.

View attachment 446670
I would like this but my like button got taken away again for saying a bad word.

so LIKE

Reactions: Barnaby and bobbop

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Looking back now if the plan was always to move on from Gorton and hand Drury the keys it was actually genius in hindsight hindsight make the move under the cover of that giant distraction

Well Drury removed himself from other interviews/vacancies so its kinda likely this has been going on behind the scenes for a bit and it was always the plan to at some point promote him

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
We haven't made the playoffs in almost half a decade. If he can get this team into the playoffs next season, that's already a good first step.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Gallant is the Paul Stastny of coaching hires.

Remember years ago when Paul Stastny was the biggest prize in free agency? Not a bad player by any means but hardly something to get overly excited about.

Disagree, I know we've spoken about this before. I can't disagree more with it. I also think it's unfair because coaches better than him don't become available too often. Yes, coaches recycle, but your Quenneville's, Trotz's and so on of the world usually stay where they are for a while and aren't recycled every 3-5 years.

That's how I feel about Gallant. He's a good coach, but I feel there were better candidates available in other years. Unfortunate timing for the Rangers.

Part of what I was referring to in the first part of my response to you, but you're right and wrong about this. Yes, it's unfortunate that someone like Quenneville or Laviolette was not available, but those guys more than likely wouldn't come to a rebuilding team. I would have loved Joel Quennville coaching the Rangers and I've lobbied for Laviolette in the past which I know I've told you before.

The glass half full side of it is that we actually got a good coach and it could have been someone worse. I'd much rather have Gallant than Tocchet, or bring back Tortorella. They could be so much worse off than Gallant and then this team would be really screwed, because they'd have all of the talent they need to be an elite perennial cup threat, but never take that next step because they continue to take chances on NCAA hires or other hires that have little to no experience.

That said, I think Gallant will do better than Quinn and if we're lucky, he squeezes the most out of this team and gets us far into the play offs.

Like I said previously, Buck Showalter. Even if he can't get them to the cup, he can show these guys what it takes and get them to the next level so that next coach can come along and take them all the way.

That's worst case scenario, IMO.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Do we have more talent than the team he took to the SC with Vegas? I would say yes, so I'm super excited what he can do with a roster of highly skilled albeit extremely young (most of them) roster.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think he's shown a good balance of having a structure and letting the team he has being the team he has.

The biggest criticism is shelf life and I don't really care because that's every coach. There's only so long before the rest of the league knows your tendencies with a given roster.
Wow no more dump and not chase.

Kakko: “wow, it’s a nice dump and chase”
Damn, 2014 is the last time we didn't run the old 0-5.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Honestly the style that Gallant will want doesn’t differ much from Quinn’s.

The question is can he get this roster and whatever upgrades made to it to all buy in and play it consistently and also make the necessary in game adjustments that DQ always had trouble making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad