Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I agree with a lot of this. It's as if management in it's heart of hearts want to play a Boston/Pitts/Calgary style of grindy, gritty game but at the same time have invested a lot of time and resources in having stars that play a wide open run and gun style of hockey, currently Florida style. This contradiction has to be sorted out at management level too. This start and stop, giving gas and hitting the breaks simultaneously situation is absurd. Which vision is in charge?

I mean part of it too is trying to take the next step and getting a more experienced coach in - not to mention that Gallant was the best available option out there. You arent going to have the pick of the litter, you jut have whats available at the time of the opening you need filled. So Drury has that and then filling the holes around him to fit the coaching style.

But I also agree in that theyll need to be some compromise somewhere but admitting to that is a problem in and of itself isnt it? If you have these star players who are unwilling or incapable of playing a certain type of style you are trying to impart into the team then they only options are to trade them or live with it.

Or, as I mentioned earlier - have a coach that can really get through to these guys and actually make a big enough impact on them to change their game. Gallant is really our true hope in all of this.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Can anyone explain Gallant's track record as a head coach? 3 jobs in a row, his only 3 jobs as head coach, all showing a similar pattern.

2 full seasons and then doesn't make it through the 3rd. In 2 cases for winning teams. He's credited with turning the Panthers around, but then was let go not long after.

I honestly don't know what to think of him as a head coach. But so far, I have not been impressed. With him or Drury. But Drury is a different issue.

If Gallant is going to have this "win now" mentality, then he should have gone to a team that was actually ready to compete. Forcing a "win now" mentality on a team that isn't in a "win now" position, seems detrimental to developing the team as the situation requires, not how Gallant or Drury desire the situation to be.

But really, I look at Gallant's career and have to wonder why this pattern emerges. And if there is an issue or issues that are now replicating with the Rangers.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad