Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Neither goalie was great early and Zib was a Covid-zombie. I'm not sure how any of that falls on Quinn's shoulders.

Yes and Panarin and Strome looked bad as well

team structure was much better but offense wasn't scoring so they turned more run and gun again (or at least that's the story I tell myself in my head)

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Rangers actually started last season pretty well in an overall play sense, other than a few stinkers, but they weren't getting the scoring despite playing a good overall game
Agree,

Through to the first 15 or so games, we were in the the top 7 teams with the best GA/60 (in order best to worst):
COL, VGK, BOS, NYI, TBL, MIN, NYR

That was attributed mostly to the Jacques Martin effect.

We finished the season at 13th overall in GA/60. The top 6 at the end of the season (56 GP) all had good playoff success (made it past the first round):
VGK, NYI, CAR, COL, BOS, TBL

I'm less worried about getting the scoring, that will come with the star power we have, we really just need to tighten up the GA/60. Teams like the Leafs, Oilers, Penguins, Capitals are scoring heavy and place well in end of season GF/60 but it doesn't seem to translate to playoffs anymore.

That's why we need Trouba to have a huge year for us

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Gallant in the Rangers dressing room
nK3L3OD.jpg

This is probably the best thing I've seen in some time...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Rangers actually started last season pretty well in an overall play sense, other than a few stinkers, but they weren't getting the scoring despite playing a good overall game

They won only 4 of their first 15 games and as we know that is all that matters. I do remember a few games against Pitt where they should have won but didn't. I'm just hoping for a better start this year and not having to play catch up again in a tough division.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
A vast majority of my brain tells me Gallant will have success here, but there is this small little piece that thinks he is not built for this city and he will be an epic fail.

Have a great day everyone!

I dunno. I don’t think Gallant will be a guy who’s obsessing over what the press is saying.

He’s living in Westchester. He strikes me as the kind of guy who just has blinders on.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Gallant opens camp with a scrimmage and plans to break off into two teams, one practices and the other scrimmages for the next two days before their first preseason game.

Very different than the approach Quinn, AV and Torts took going into main camp. The focus was on drill after drill, building conditioning and then with the more formal, traditional inter-squad games later in camp.

AV was a stickler for time management and working on specific system drills, Quinn needed to skate around and have a long conversation with each player trying to understand the correct button to push with each of them and Torts just blasted everyone with traditional bag skates and decisive speeches.

Gallant is incredibly different than all of them. He seems very lax about it, almost structureless and without any defined plan.

He isn’t talking to the players in any specific or contrived conversation. He just wanted to get behind the bench to feel being a coach again and to view the players from that angle. He also doesn’t seem worried about anyone not being in shape or trying to get them into game shape with skating drills. I’m sure it’s a part of it but it’s not the emphasis.

One could easily say he’s appeared very underwhelming and unprepared, but this is the difference with Gallant and he said it himself at the end of his presser today.

“I treat my players with a lot of respect. I expect the same back from (them). You make it a big family.

I am coaching, I am part of the players the way I coach. I’m not a coach against players, it’s one big group and I think that’s really important.”

He can pull this off because he’s played in the league at a high level. The other 3 prior coaches can’t say that. There is a level of unsaid respect there and don’t discount that.

He will turn up the juice when he needs to but he lets the players police each other and understands how to get a group to gel. I think he has the right type of group to do it with too.

I think about how certain personalities still on this roster meshed with the former coaches mentioned above and I always had an inkling that there was never a deep respect with any of them. I can see that changing. Not because Gallant will earn it, but because he isn’t forcing it.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gallant opens camp with a scrimmage and plans to break off into two teams, one practices and the other scrimmages for the next two days before their first preseason game.

Very different than the approach Quinn, AV and Torts took going into main camp. The focus was on drill after drill, building conditioning and then with the more formal, traditional inter-squad games later in camp.

AV was a stickler for time management and working on specific system drills, Quinn needed to skate around and have a long conversation with each player trying to understand the correct button to push with each of them and Torts just blasted everyone with a traditional bag skates and decisive speeches.

Gallant is incredibly different than all of them. He seems very lax about it, almost structureless and with any defined plan.

He isn’t talking to the players in any specific or contrived conversation. He just wanted to get behind the bench to feel being a coach again and viewing the players from that angle. He also doesn’t seem worried about anyone not being in shape or trying to get them into game shape with any specific skating drills. I’m sure it’s a part of it but it’s not the emphasis.

One could easily say he’s appeared very underwhelming and unprepared, but this is the difference with Gallant and he said it himself at the end of his presser today.

“I treat my players with a lot of respect. I expect the same back from (them). You make it a big family.

I am coaching, I am part of the players the way I coach. I’m not a coach against players, it’s one big group and I think that’s really important.”

He can pull this off because he’s played in the league at a high level. The other 3 prior coaches can’t say that. There is a level of unsaid respect there and don’t discount that.

He will turn up the juice when he needs to but he lets the players police each other and understands how to get a group to gel. I think he has the right type of group to do it with too.

I think about how certain personalities still on this roster meshed with the former coaches mentioned above and I always had an inkling that there was never a deep respect with any of them. I can see that changing. Not because Gallant will earn it, but because he isn’t forcing it.
Well stated. And I would add that this approach probably explains why he needs a captain. He will delegate some of the leadership. A captain can help with that. He’ll need to be in synch with that captain. I wonder if he actually does go with Reaves. Not really saying I’d expect that, but it’s not a crazy idea.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Well stated. And I would add that this approach probably explains why he needs a captain. He will delegate some of the leadership. A captain can help with that. He’ll need to be in synch with that captain. I wonder if he actually does go with Reaves. Not really saying I’d expect that, but it’s not a crazy idea.

The problem with Reaves is that he’s likely to be healthy scratched at times and he isn’t likely to be here more than a season or two. I’d be surprised if it isn’t Trouba or a resigned Zibanejad. I think Lafreniere is potentially a good choice, but he’s most likely too young at this point. As for Kreider, if the brass viewed him in that light then he probably would’ve gotten it by now.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The problem with Reaves is that he’s likely to be healthy scratched at times and he isn’t likely to be here more than a season or two. I’d be surprised if it isn’t Trouba or a resigned Zibanejad. I think Lafreniere is potentially a good choice, but he’s most likely too young at this point. As for Kreider, if the brass viewed him in that light then he probably would’ve gotten it by now.
You’re right. Though, I also don’t think he’s getting scratched as often as many think.
Also, I personally don’t think a Captain has to be a long-term thing. A year of Reaves as an “old hand” to help Gallant with the leadership part, and then handing it over to the next guy isn’t an unreasonable idea. He’s apparently a very highly respected guy around the league.
Though I do think that the Rangers in particular make the whole “Captaincy” a bigger deal than it needs to be. So, as you suggest, they may indeed be looking for a long-term solution.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You’re right. Though, I also don’t think he’s getting scratched as often as many think.
Also, I personally don’t think a Captain has to be a long-term thing. A year of Reaves as an “old hand” to help Gallant with the leadership part, and then handing it over to the next guy isn’t an unreasonable idea. He’s apparently a very highly respected guy around the league.
Though I do think that the Rangers in particular make the whole “Captaincy” a bigger deal than it needs to be. So, as you suggest, they may indeed be looking for a long-term solution.

Yea, it’s not a crazy idea. It would just surprise me a bit based on his being a new guy in the room and being more of a short term choice. His familiarity with Gallant and his status in the league could certainly act in his favor though. I’m curious if Gallant is still deciding or they are just waiting on when to make an announcement. I think we def make it a bigger deal then it should be. I’d imagine teams build their own hierarchy in the dressing room and a piece of felt isn’t likely to wildly change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yea, it’s not a crazy idea. It would just surprise me a bit based on his being a new guy in the room and being more of a short term choice. His familiarity with Gallant and his status in the league could certainly act in his favor though. I’m curious if Gallant is still deciding or they are just waiting on when to make an announcement. I think we def make it a bigger deal then it should be. I’d imagine teams build their own hierarchy in the dressing room and a piece of felt isn’t likely to wildly change it.
Yeah, you’re probably right.
The more I read about it, the more I think it’ll probably be Kreider, or maybe Trouba. But probably with the caveat that it’s not a “lifetime” role. That a guy like Lafreniere or Fox will eventually be handed the mantle. I could see Reaves getting an A, though, for sure.

Reactions: Barnaby

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

AV was a stickler for time management and working on specific system drills, Quinn needed to skate around and have a long conversation with each player trying to understand the correct button to push with each of them and Torts just blasted everyone with a traditional bag skates and decisive speeches.

Gallant is incredibly different than all of them. He seems very lax about it, almost structureless and without any defined plan.

He isn’t talking to the players in any specific or contrived conversation. He just wanted to get behind the bench to feel being a coach again and to view the players from that angle. He also doesn’t seem worried about anyone not being in shape or trying to get them into game shape with skating drills. I’m sure it’s a part of it but it’s not the emphasis.

He also has Mike Kelly as his foil to handle a lot of the minor nuances that coincide with X's and O's and player interactions. They obviously both play a part, but they have their own approaches towards these situations that make them both an effective duo. Here's an article back from when Gallant was hired in Vegas:

When It Came To Choosing Mike Kelly, There Was Never Any Doubt

"He knows what I need," Gallant said of Kelly. "You probably don't want your coaches to all be the same type of guys. I'm an emotional guy, I can get rowdy on the bench. Mike's a calm guy that can settle things down there. He's a technical guy on the bench. He has his role, I have my role.
"We feed off each other. Mike knows when we need a little pat or a little kick. We work well together."

So what is it about Gallant and Kelly's relationship that allows them to work so well together?
As both been described, their combination is has a little yin and yang to it.

Where Gallant is the super intense leader of the bench, Kelly is the calming influence.
Where the head coach may have more in a say in overall game plan, his assistant has an uncanny ability to develop one-on-one relationships and connect with players.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I really don't think he's likely to be healthy scratched at times. He's been a full time player at least every year since 2014 including playing 80 games under Gallant in Vegas one year.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He also has Mike Kelly as his foil to handle a lot of the minor nuances that coincide with X's and O's and player interactions. They obviously both play a part, but they have their own approaches towards these situations that make them both an effective duo. Here's an article back from when Gallant was hired in Vegas:

When It Came To Choosing Mike Kelly, There Was Never Any Doubt

Yes this is big big part of it. Gallant has an innate ability to recognize the moment and what the team needs emotionally. That galvanizing effect is what's most important to him, the feel of the game, the tone of his club. All of the other stuff is important, but he lets Kelly handle a lot of that.

While its a little unorthodox, when you have a duo like this that works so well together (and have done it for years together) it makes for a much smoother transition and allows Gallant to coach in a very different manner than most coaches in the league.

Players around the league have all said Gallant is a great coach to play for and I could see this team really embrace him. But if you are looking for ra-ra moments and specific X's and O's and thoughts on players and line combos in Gallants pressers, you wont get them. Its about the framework of the team emotionally and if he's seeing the effort he wants to see, thats his focus.

I got a kick out of some of the reporters questioning him, almost surprised at the way he was responding. Almost leading/teaching Gallant with certain questions like he didnt know the players and the line combos very well. He knows. He just doesn't make that stuff a priority like the media and fans do.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I LOVE that he trimmed down the roster right away.
No games.
I been preaching about this over the last 2 coaching tenures while every other team had their lines set quickly.
It always took 20 games for the team to get their feet under them.
Breath of fresh air..

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
It's been just 7 games, but it's hard to see any gameplan here. What system do we want to play? As far as I see it, our transition game is way too slow and almost non existent. Too many giveaways. What is our plan once we get into the offensive zone? Do we want to throw in pucks and play the boards or do we want to play directly to the goal? Why is it so hard to keep possession? Does our D have problems getting the puck up to our Forwards quick enough or is there a problem with our Forwards?

Reactions: ArPanet

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's been just 7 games, but it's hard to see any gameplan here. What system do we want to play? As far as I see it, our transition game is way too slow and almost non existent. Too many giveaways. What is our plan once we get into the offensive zone? Do we want to throw in pucks and play the boards or do we want to play directly to the goal? Why is it so hard to keep possession? Does our D have problems getting the puck up to our Forwards quick enough or is there a problem with our Forwards?

Reactions: Circus86

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Its this.

I hate how they defend in the NZ as well, but the bolded 100%. Fox is our only good puck mover and Nils has made Staal look like f***ing Orr.

Reactions: Circus86 and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Its this.

I hate how they defend in the NZ as well, but the bolded 100%. Fox is our only good puck mover and Nils has made Staal look like f***ing Orr.
In college, Miller was excellent at both moving the puck out of his zone successfully and also at skating the puck out of his zone. Basically the best on his team and one of the best in the nation overall, particularly the latter. I think we saw some of that last year, but we also saw a lot of failures as the year wore on and as a result I think he's playing afraid a bit when it comes to the transition game. You saw the one rush last night where he carried the puck with speed out of his end, through the neutral zone, outside the defense and towards the cage. It didn't result in a good chance but it was a excellent rush that when things are going better, could result in a high-danger chance. I think he's just more concerned with addressing his defensive shortcomings, though (which I think he's doing quite well).

That's of course one player. Trouba is good for one stretch pass per week, Lindgren can't really hit passes beyond his own blueline, Lundkvist has been horrible, and Nemeth...does not excel in this area. I really think bringing up Jones and sending down Nils could have a positive impact. Honestly watching Robertson, he's becoming more assertive and confident each game and he might be ahead of Nils, too.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Switching to a man-on-man defensive system always takes time for teams to understand the positioning and figure out how to be in sync as 5-man units. The defensive lapses will keep happening until they start operating on the same page.

It happens with most teams, not just us. We saw it with AV, we saw it with the Caps under Laviollete, Panthers under Q, and Avs under Bednar.

The one area that’s hurting us one offense is not utilizing drop passes off the rush and focusing on dumping and cycling the puck too much. They’ll figure that out too.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I know many hated Quinn around here, but the entitlement of players on this team really seems to be a problem, especially Strome. More and more I wonder if the exits of Lias and now Vitali are due to the entitlement they witnessed from their teammates and them thinking and acting the same.

Gallant's comments after the game against Calgary sounded exactly like Quinn's used to. There's a reason for that. Panarin, Strome, Kreider, etc. think they're the best players in the league, but the issue is, despite their high-end skill, they have accomplished nothing. Against lesser teams, they'll often put up big numbers and their stats at the end of the year will look great, but when push comes to shove and they face a tough hockey team, that plays a full game, like Calgary or the Islanders, they completely wilt and end up invisible or worse, their fancy plays end up as turnovers in the back of our net.

They brought in some players this year to correct that, but unfortunately I fear it might not be enough. Also, having let go of Buch, who didn't stink of entitlement and appeared to have been one of the few under Quinn to learn to play the right way, in favor of holding onto Strome, who is easily the worst culprit given his constant public statements that often bashed Quinn, looks to me to be a complete oversight by management.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure this was a coaching issue. And if it was, Gallant's alleged hands-off approach may not be the right one for a team like this one.

Reactions: ArPanet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad