Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know many hated Quinn around here, but the entitlement of players on this team really seems to be a problem, especially Strome. More and more I wonder if the exits of Lias and now Vitali are due to the entitlement they witnessed from their teammates and them thinking and acting the same.

Gallant's comments after the game against Calgary sounded exactly like Quinn's used to. There's a reason for that. Panarin, Strome, Kreider, etc. think they're the best players in the league, but the issue is, despite their high-end skill, they have accomplished nothing. Against lesser teams, they'll often put up big numbers and their stats at the end of the year will look great, but when push comes to shove and they face a tough hockey team, that plays a full game, like Calgary or the Islanders, they completely wilt and end up invisible or worse, their fancy plays end up as turnovers in the back of our net.

They brought in some players this year to correct that, but unfortunately I fear it might not be enough. Also, having let go of Buch, who didn't stink of entitlement and appeared to have been one of the few under Quinn to learn to play the right way, in favor of holding onto Strome, who is easily the worst culprit given his constant public statements that often bashed Quinn, looks to me to be a complete oversight by management.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure this was a coaching issue. And if it was, Gallant's alleged hands-off approach may not be the right one for a team like this one.
listen I'm not Strome's number one fan but this is an odd game to complain about him. he looked about as aggressive and engaged as I've ever seen him in the NHL.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I know many hated Quinn around here, but the entitlement of players on this team really seems to be a problem, especially Strome. More and more I wonder if the exits of Lias and now Vitali are due to the entitlement they witnessed from their teammates and them thinking and acting the same.

Gallant's comments after the game against Calgary sounded exactly like Quinn's used to. There's a reason for that. Panarin, Strome, Kreider, etc. think they're the best players in the league, but the issue is, despite their high-end skill, they have accomplished nothing. Against lesser teams, they'll often put up big numbers and their stats at the end of the year will look great, but when push comes to shove and they face a tough hockey team, that plays a full game, like Calgary or the Islanders, they completely wilt and end up invisible or worse, their fancy plays end up as turnovers in the back of our net.

They brought in some players this year to correct that, but unfortunately I fear it might not be enough. Also, having let go of Buch, who didn't stink of entitlement and appeared to have been one of the few under Quinn to learn to play the right way, in favor of holding onto Strome, who is easily the worst culprit given his constant public statements that often bashed Quinn, looks to me to be a complete oversight by management.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure this was a coaching issue. And if it was, Gallant's alleged hands-off approach may not be the right one for a team like this one.

Strome is an odd one to call out, given that he's been one of the Rangers best forwards this season and has played his best hockey with the organization. I suspect fans wanted a yeller after Quinn, someone to put the fear of god into the players. That's not Gallant. That said, I'm not convinced there's an entitlement issue or effort issue or whatever one might call it. Aside from the slow starts from Zibanejad and Panarin, I don't see a roster that is underperforming. They are what they are--a few very good players, a few players who could be very good but are not there yet, and a bunch of meh.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
This wasn't about Strome's performance against Calgary. It's the fact that we picked up the guy from the scrap heap and he acts as if he's McDavid. I realize he's had great chemistry with Panarin, but he was a mediocre player before being paired with one of the best players in the world. And he constantly went out and bashed Quinn, saying publicly that he and the others should be allowed to run the PP how they want, etc. I just don't see in what world a player like him, on a team like this, that has not even made the playoffs with this group of players, can tell anyone how it should be run let alone bitch publicly about how he needs to be given even more freedom.

And the reason I raise this is because once again the top lines look as if they want to run around, playing fancy hockey, rather than trying to compete with teams like Calgary that play a full game. It's just not going to work.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I don't like Strome but I don't hate him. What I do hate is Panarin and Strome together. They get way too out of hand with the east west passing and when teams play playoff hockey, like Calgary did last game, they will eat that up all game long. It's not the first time it has happened to those guys and Gallant needs to shut it down. The only reason they got stuff going is because Calgary let the foot off the pedal because they were destroying us. Strome is not good enough to play that style against a team that plays playoff style hockey. GG has a good track record and seems to be a well respected coach among his players so hopefully he carries enough weight to get them to play simpler hockey when the playoff teams come around, but at the end of the day he might have to separate the two.

Reactions: haveandare

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There are some deep rooted issues in the DNA of this team that Gallant needs to get them out of. For years the Rangers have refused to be decisive shooting the puck, instead choosing to run their offense through cross ice passes and only shooting on high % chances. As much as I love Panarin & Fox, they are contributing to this problem. Both guys would rather skate around waiting for a guy to get open instead of just getting a shot on net, which they are both exceptional at. There are far too may 1 and dones in the O zone because someone tried to force a pass through 2 sticks or skated into the corner and lost the puck.

Its early in the season so there's no reason for panic yet, but the team really needs to get it through their heads that they will never have team success unless they commit to shooting the puck, getting to the net and creating havoc. Hell, that's the way they've scored the majority of their goals this year.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
There are some deep rooted issues in the DNA of this team that Gallant needs to get them out of. For years the Rangers have refused to be decisive shooting the puck, instead choosing to run their offense through cross ice passes and only shooting on high % chances. As much as I love Panarin & Fox, they are contributing to this problem. Both guys would rather skate around waiting for a guy to get open instead of just getting a shot on net, which they are both exceptional at. There are far too may 1 and dones in the O zone because someone tried to force a pass through 2 sticks or skated into the corner and lost the puck.

Its early in the season so there's no reason for panic yet, but the team really needs to get it through their heads that they will never have team success unless they commit to shooting the puck, getting to the net and creating havoc. Hell, that's the way they've scored the majority of their goals this year.

I'm starting to wonder how much this team even cares about success. Seems to me like this hockey thing is a hobby for a lot of them rather than their passion. Every decent team seems to have a killer instinct that we distinctly lack. For sure there's a country club thing going on here and things won't change until the culture changes. And even then, I'm not sure some of the players have what it takes.

I do like that Gallant is slowly bringing this out into the open and basically calling out the team, albeit politely. We'll see if it changes anything

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This team picked up some really really bad habits during the time we issued the letter of rebuild up until this point. Some are still here and are glaring. Others were masked by suburb individual efforts by guys like panarin/Fox/Zibby and different point.
I don’t expect Gallant to have fixed everything in 2-3 months not even 10 games into the season.
We’re on the right track with some things, others need more attention.
I’m not going to bash Quinn all that much because I think he realized it too, but didn’t have the personnel to implement some things. Others were just out of his wheel house.
I hope Gallant can get us back to playing high end 200ft hockey.
A major thing that’s looking better is effort. Not everyone, but overall as a team, it looks like the guys give a shit again.

Reactions: leetch99

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’d be the first one to gloat about a new coach not really changing anything about this team—of which 1/2 the roster blows—but this is not nearly enough time for a coach to leave an imprint.

I myself may not even begin gloating until the 2022-23 season.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I’d be the first one to gloat about a new coach not really changing anything about this team—of which 1/2 the roster blows—but this is not nearly enough time for a coach to leave an imprint.

I myself may not even begin gloating until the 2022-23 season.
this is the most talent this team has had in at least 7 years. how does half the roster blow?

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
I believe Gallant and his system is the reason Panarin isn't playing well. Gallant doesn't want finesse and his game plan is terrible for the panarins of the league and good for the kreiders. imo

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I believe Gallant and his system is the reason Panarin isn't playing well. Gallant doesn't want finesse and his game plan is terrible for the panarins of the league and good for the kreiders. imo
Panarin made the playoffs with Torts as his coach.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Quinn knew how to make Panarin successful.

Gallant, not so much.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I see your comparison but torts is more accomplished as a coach and has adapted his coaching style to his finese players. Gallant is not a good coach for Panarin.
Panarin is absolutely capable of this system. I’d expect him to be closer to a PPG though, rather than all those multiple 2/3 pt games. That’s fine by me, as long as the team is better and winning.
I’m sure Drury is thinking long and hard about the 2C position going fwd. it’s going to be just as important for the rangers and Panarin.
I’m not convinced either Chytil or Strome are here beyond this season if chytil doesn’t take a substantial development step fwd, and if Strome is all about collecting points but not being a complete 200ft player.
Right now as it sits, Zibby and Barron are the only 2 in the long range plans at center. Unfortunately, that’s all we know at this time..
I think they’d like to hang onto Rooney If his new deal isn’t grossly over payed by a different team.
It’s really not too hard to find am above average 4C thru trade/UFA/ internally..
A large part of his success would be fixing the PP.
The book is out on us. We go too heavy to keep trying to set up zibby. And when both aren’t particularly playing well the problem snowballs

Last edited:

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
Panarin is absolutely capable of this system. I’d expect him to be closer to a PPG though, rather than all those multiple 2/3 pt games. That’s fine by me, as long as the team is better and winning.
I’m sure Drury is thinking long and hard about the 2C position going fwd. it’s going to be just as important for the rangers and Panarin.
I’m not convinced either Chytil or Strome are here beyond this season if chytil doesn’t take a substantial development step fwd, and if Strome is all about collecting points but not being a complete 200ft player.
Right now as it sits, Zibby and Barron are the only 2 in the long range plans at center. Unfortunately, that’s all we know at this time..
I think they’d like to hang onto Rooney If his new deal isn’t grossly over payed by a different team.
It’s really not too hard to find am above average 4C thru trade/UFA/ internally..
A large part of his success would be fixing the PP.
The book is out on us. We go too heavy to keep trying to set up zibby. And when both aren’t particularly playing well the problem snowballs
Same page on Strome and Chytil agree

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Gallant’s system has nothing to do with Panarin making lazy, I’ll advised plays all over the ice. Panarin is either hurt, out of shape, or losing interest in the game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gallant’s system has nothing to do with Panarin making lazy, I’ll advised plays all over the ice. Panarin is either hurt, out of shape, or losing interest in the game.
I personally do not see laziness. He is forcing a lot of plays and sometimes they look lazy. He is still skating hard and trying to stay involved with stick checks in both zones.

Zibanejad on the other hand...

Reactions: TheDirtyH

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
So, I see that we have already turned on Gallant? I thought this would have taken at least another week or two, but hey, HF boards never ceases to amaze.

At least he's not David Quin......ami'right?

Reactions: Unpredictable1

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

All joking aside, imagine that the head to the ice slam from Wilson ( which kept Panarin out of the final 4-5 games of the season ) actually messed a little something up in the guys brain? I'm far from a neurologist, but maybe something upstairs, that allowed Artemi to see the game in a certain way, is operating a little fuzzy now. Something that the person or players cant explain, but affects his play.

Just a thought.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

I fear this one, cause he came out with 2 shifts in a row that looked great then went back to sleep.

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT

I guess we will see... whatever is happening I never expected to see it with Panarin.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

Admittedly I've warmed up to Strome but the bolded here I 100% agree with. I know this board is filled with Quinn haters but for Strome to be in the media openly contradicting Quinn's message on how to play, is not a good example to send to young players on the roster. I'm not saying Strome should be punted from the team - but if he starts to do this with Gallant as well, that's a problem and I think Gallant will reel him in rather quickly. At least I hope. (and it's very possible Strome doesn't open his mouth like that since Gallant isn't an NHL newbie coach like Quinn was)

That all said, I'm incredibly happy we have Gallant and have 0 issues with him thus far. I do enjoy is pressers actually.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I personally do not see laziness. He is forcing a lot of plays and sometimes they look lazy. He is still skating hard and trying to stay involved with stick checks in both zones.

Zibanejad on the other hand...
I dunno. I see a bunch of laziness myself. He skates kind of hard but isn’t engaged very strongly at all and those awful turnovers are the epitome of laziness to me.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
All joking aside, imagine that the head to the ice slam from Wilson ( which kept Panarin out of the final 4-5 games of the season ) actually messed a little something up in the guys brain? I'm far from a neurologist, but maybe something upstairs, that allowed Artemi to see the game in a certain way, is operating a little fuzzy now. Something that the person or players cant explain, but affects his play.

Just a thought.
A scary thought. Let’s hope that’s the tin foil speaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad