Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
#3, Kravtsov is #2 ;)

Even better. Imo, that solves a log jam problem as i’m not sold on the willingness to play finesse defense on line 3 is the same grinding/board battles.

It’s funny how times have changed. Forever we had grinders and tried to get finesse/offensive out of them b/c the roster didn’t have enough scoring. Now it’s the opposite. Trying to make grinders out of offensive finesse. If Krav could ever be the #2 center, that changes a lot imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Welcome to the Rangers Gerard, where the fans think the wingers are centers and the centers are wingers

i think fans are hoping one of six can make a change and play center.

Meanwhile, i’m not sure how much more evidence we need to recognize this European style team needs more board play. Skill doesn’t supersede all and grit isn’t 1970’s hockey.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
i think fans are hoping one of six can make a change and play center.

Meanwhile, i’m not sure how much more evidence we need to recognize this European style team needs more board play. Skill doesn’t supersede all and grit isn’t 1970’s hockey.

I think a group of them are training together over the next few months to get better at Trouble, Connect Four, and Monopoly.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kravtsov is the only one I want to see get a look down the middle.

Lots of Euros play wing before coming over seas and shift over. I don't really care that he was just okay as a C at the WJC's a few years ago, hes a different player now than he was then. Maybe it doesn't work but thats no biggie, just because you give him a chance at C doesn't mean that he's not allowed to shift back to RW.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Lots of Euros play wing before coming over seas and shift over. I don't really care that he was just okay as a C at the WJC's a few years ago, hes a different player now than he was then. Maybe it doesn't work but thats no biggie, just because you give him a chance at C doesn't mean that he's not allowed to shift back to RW.
right like I get that wanting to try all our Ws at C can get exhausting as a talking point, but if you try Krav there for some games and it doesn't work what's the loss? Did anyone die? Is Kravtsov ruined? Like give me a break lol

Especially with VK, outside of his abilities, is a good candidate simply because we have room to experiment with him as his importance as a future piece has definitely gone down to us with Laf/KK

Reactions: leetch99

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I think a big challenge for Gallant will be molding Kravtsov, Barron, and Gauthier if he is still here

Trxjw said he sees Killorn in Barron and I agree, but Killorn is a player that has played on basically every line in his NHL career. I think we need to decide if Barron is going to be a top 9 swiss army knife type of player, a tough in the corners player on a forechecking line, or maybe even a bottom 6 defensive center (he took some faceoffs as his time went on, it's not impossible)

Kravtsov has a lot of two way potential and I think we have the opportunity to mold him into a very useful player. His long, long stick and defensive responsibility can get him a lot of places, maybe even a spot at center OwO

Gauthier, if he's here, has a role that he should be molded into. Fast, heavy forechecker that shoots a lot. That's the mold, I don't need him to be a star, just forecheck my dude.

That's three young players with somewhat ambiguous futures, I think we need to take this opportunity to mold them to help address some of our weaknesses.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
right like I get that wanting to try all our Ws at C can get exhausting as a talking point, but if you try Krav there for some games and it doesn't work what's the loss? Did anyone die? Is Kravtsov ruined? Like give me a break lol

Especially with VK, outside of his abilities, is a good candidate simply because we have room to experiment with him as his importance as a future piece has definitely gone down to us with Laf/KK
Is it also possible that we all just overrate these nominal positions? I know I do with faceoffs, but without knowing definitively how these modern systems are implemented at the granular level, is it possible that there are just three forwards and two defenseman on the ice and they al have a job to do depending on the game state?

Like, there are situations that call for the “center” to go deep and forecheck, and situations that call for the “right wing” to pick up the puck behind his own net. Is the game just so dynamic and analyzed at this point that the nominal forward positions just break down after the puck is dropped?

I ask this because I get the sense that the team isn’t nearly as worried about the positional makeup of the team as we are.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I also think there’s some revisionist history going on right now, because the WJC was what put him on the map and is when Craig Button determined he was the best prospect in hockey. The coach also determined he should be the teams 1C when he was on a line with Klim Kostin (who is a center). IIRC he was also battling the flu & a torn tricep? during the tournament.

He checks every single box for a center. He also cheats to the middle a lot and most the time it looks like he’s playing center. I’m tempted to go back and put together a video of every backcheck where he was on the ice, because I’m certain that at least 85% of the time he was the first forward back & got back before the center, and 50% of the time he got back before the second dman. He backchecked and forechecked like a maniac.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Is it also possible that we all just overrate these nominal positions? I know I do with faceoffs, but without knowing definitively how these modern systems are implemented at the granular level, is it possible that there are just three forwards and two defenseman on the ice and they al have a job to do depending on the game state?

Like, there are situations that call for the “center” to go deep and forecheck, and situations that call for the “right wing” to pick up the puck behind his own net. Is the game just so dynamic and analyzed at this point that the nominal forward positions just break down after the puck is dropped?

I ask this because I get the sense that the team isn’t nearly as worried about the positional makeup of the team as we are.

And on top of this, there are the quotes from Vegas players about how their system focused much more heavily on who was 'Forward 1' or 'Forward 2' or whatever on a backcheck, rather than actual listed position. A system that Gallant's fingerprints are certainly still on.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
And on top of this, there are the quotes from Vegas players about how their system focused much more heavily on who was 'Forward 1' or 'Forward 2' or whatever on a backcheck, rather than actual listed position. A system that Gallant's fingerprints are certainly still on.
Yeah, I knew I had read that somewhere. Couldn’t recall where. Thanks.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
upload_2021-7-1_20-4-51.png

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We need to address it with speed and versatility, not by doing the old Gorton move of gluing some goober with 3 goals onto the lineup and keeping the top 9 exactly the same.

Said it before, Coleman is the guy that stands out to me. He's basically what people thought David Clarkson was when Clarkson shot 13%.
I think we need to find the next Coleman. Not pay for the last one. He’s a late bloomer and I don’t have much confidence he lives up to his next deal. He’s a nice player, but I don’t think he transforms or defines the line he’s on. And that’s what I’d like from a UFA forward.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Many will die.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think we need to find the next Coleman. Not pay for the last one. He’s a late bloomer and I don’t have much confidence he lives up to his next deal. He’s a nice player, but I don’t think he transforms or defines the line he’s on. And that’s what I’d like from a UFA forward.

agree, great call imo

That team is just humming along. When the stars are flying the secondary players suddenly emerge. Cannot overpay for them and expect the same or equal productivity imo.

Internally, something has to emerge. Maybe a combo of Gettinger, Barron and Edstrom appears. What a boost if a group like that could grind and cause some mayhem.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
BINGO !!! I have to question what he will sacrifice after he gets a huge new deal and has two Cup rings . I would almost bet he loses some of his energy and desire to put another club over the top. We have all watched that show a few times as Ranger fans .

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Play Morgan Barron imo
Yup...I really liked it when he dropped the gloves and was going to go after TJ Oshie in the Cap game....it showed he wants to be a difference maker for us . LOL....I still can't believe he never got a 2 minute minor on it either or an offer from somebody else to dance....but he is a big boy and that can deter some wannabe tough guys . I think he and Gallant will like one another...both Maritime boys .

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

We are way tougher with GG

Not sure how you can purely change the personalities of the individuals on this team to make them tougher but I like the enthusiasm.

I’d like to think GG can make them a tougher team to play against as a whole due to the players buying into his guidance, not to mention the youngsters naturally coming into their own as men.

I feel that would have begun to happen no matter the man who was standing behind the bench but it doesn’t hurt to have Turk back there. He is a difference maker in the motivation department imho.

Reactions: JCProdigy

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
If your GG and you look at the lineup you have to go right to Kreider and expect physical play on every shift. Then we will see more points and a more consistent player. If he gets disinterested sit him a game...no allegiances in this locker room...play the right way or sit.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad