Confirmed with Link: Rangers hire Gallant as HC

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm skeptical of what Strome has the ability to adapt to. He's 27 and hasn't been in his defensive zone in the NHL yet. At some point, coaches aren't magicians. If anyone ends up being the odd-man out, I think it's him.

Especially if Gallant actually plays Chytil which is probably a solid idea. He was top 50 in the league in even strength scoring this year and we're all sitting here like "wow, I wish we had another center!"
Strome is more of a winger than center with the style he plays. And we already have massive overflow with quality (or potentially quality) wingers.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I'm skeptical of what Strome has the ability to adapt to. He's 27 and hasn't been in his defensive zone in the NHL yet. At some point, coaches aren't magicians. If anyone ends up being the odd-man out, I think it's him.

Especially if Gallant actually plays Chytil which is probably a solid idea. He was top 50 in the league in even strength scoring this year and we're all sitting here like "wow, I wish we had another center!"
Yeah, a competent Chytil would solve the Strome conundrum. Strome seems like an intelligent guy. He has blossomed with this organization. That gives some hope that he can continue to late-bloom. Chytil is still young, but he's gotta start looking like he can put it together consistently soon.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
To me, Strome is just an in-between player that doesn't really have a spot on my team in a cap league.

He doesn't do any "other stuff" and doesn't score enough for me to say "who cares?"

He's a better version of PA Parenteau. You need guys who can provide offense to keep your good offensive players going during non-competitive years. Strome does a very good job at that, no one questions his offensive contributions. But when you are looking at making a run in the playoffs, you need more from a player and he doesn't seem to be able to give it. Assuming he's on the roster next year, he's going to have to prove himself in a huge way or he's gone.

Reactions: ClutchTom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

A quarter of this board doesn't think Chytil is a center even though he's played there his entire pro career so there is that too.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Chytil is still projected to be the biggest thing coming out of Europe since German rap sensation and Eurovision winner Skyrizi. @CasusBelli

Reactions: CasusBelli

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Just watched the press conference. Main takeaways:
1. Drury could use an experienced President to take some of the burden off his media relations skills. Anyone know such a guy?
2. That camera angle for Gallant gave off Hanibal Lecter vibes.
3. Glad Gallant wants the team to be hard working. Hate it when coaches say they don't want that.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
Just watched the press conference. Main takeaways:
1. Drury could use an experienced President to take some of the burden off his media relations skills. Anyone know such a guy?
2. That camera angle for Gallant gave off Hanibal Lecter vibes.
3. Glad Gallant wants the team to be hard working. Hate it when coaches say they don't want that.

I thought the same thing.

Someone should tell Gallant that you are supposed to put the camera above your eyes. Hopefully, it is the last of that stupid stuff.

Drury looked like a hostage reading a prepared script. He tried to fake emotion a few times, but it was pretty horrific.

Reactions: ThirdEye

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If Gallant can get the Rangers to play anything close to how the Habs are playing right now, I would be elated.

I've rarely if ever seen a team, player for player work harder than these guys.

They never quit on a play. Amazing to watch.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
For you, @leetch99

Former New York Rangers Brad Richards, Darren Langdon welcome Gerard Gallant’s appointment as head coach | Saltwire

BTW, I missed this little nugget: "Richards is an advisor to the Rangers’ hockey operations, and was thrilled to learn Gallant was a candidate for the job.

'When Chris mentioned his name and asked me about (Gallant), I got to chat with him a little bit about New York, and I got really excited,” said Richards. “I’m glad it worked out for both sides. I think both sides won this and will move forward in the right direction.'"

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: RangersFan1994

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
my favorite part:
"Langdon and Gallant have got to know each other over the years at charity golf tournaments.
“Not saying we are best buddies, but we get along pretty good,” said Langdon. “He’s probably a little tougher than me.”
I thought that read Landon and it was referring to an interview with Landon Girardi

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I don't know if this was posted yet but the Missin Curfew podcast (Shane O'Brien and Scott Upshall) interviewed Gallant before he was hired. It starts around the 1:01:10 mark. What's interesting is towards the end O'Brien breaks the news live to Gallant that Davidson and Gorton had just been fired.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah, a competent Chytil would solve the Strome conundrum. Strome seems like an intelligent guy. He has blossomed with this organization. That gives some hope that he can continue to late-bloom. Chytil is still young, but he's gotta start looking like he can put it together consistently soon.

the issue with strome is twofold - both strength on the puck/defending and footspeed. i have a vey hard time seeing him here opening night. i'm on the record as wanting to move him - which does kinda suck. he found himself here, he seems like a great guy, he wants it, but to me he doesn't have a home esp under gallant. he took panarin out of tight games last year because he couldn't win puck battles in the zone or support the d enough to create turnovers low and give them an outlet / have the speed to create a coordinated breakout up ice. his line in particular was a shooting gallery against the isles or any good team that was clamping down on us in the neutral zone / eliminating the up and down play we thrived in. he's not a guy that works in the bottom 6, just doesn't have the game even if he embraced it. could you imagine him trying to lock down barzal or backstrom? he'd get abused. you have to move him, unfortunately i don't think his value would return anything that we care for individually. if i'm drury i don't waste much time on eichel unless the cost is significantly less than whats been out there - and from a buff perspective i don't see thy it would be. i kick the tires with teams that might be looking for some fresh faces - what immediately comes to mind are malkin in pitt or atkinson in cbus - no idea to what extent theres availability...but two teams that may wanna reset a bit so why not see. sure theres others out there that could fit - point for me is pitt is at a crossroads. crosby is still elite, they have some pieces, but they need to work fast to give him one more shot while also keeping an eye towards life after him. malkins been hurt a lot, hasnt produced, going into his last year...maybe a roster center in strome and a krav or barron or jones / 1st and the cap space gets it done = while we get a still elite c without long term commitment who could rejuvenate / flourish under the msg lights in a big way, esp w/ panarin and igor and maybe buch/krav if retained. cup pedigree too. or an atkinson, who has speed to burn, has played w/ panarin, reasonable cap hit...maybe cbus would move him. not married to either as THE answer, but think both / that type of trade makes way more sense now and long term than jack. right now i wouldn't even entertain the thought of moving laf/kakko/nils/fox/chytil, and in almost no scenario miller/kravtsov.

as for chytil, in the right system / w the right linemates maybe he's a 2c. i don't see it, he's got blinders on coming through the zone with the puck and although he has decent hands and a very nice shot, he has a seizure going one on one w/ guys, although it hasn't deterred him from trying. but his hockey sense off the puck is solid, he works hard, he's a huge kid and still filling out, a natural c, can absolutely fly, is willing to get physical on the forecheck and defensively, is pretty strong on the puck ... he's a keeper to me. maybe a 2nd line emerges around him that has that identity, i could see him and kakko being a duo that compliment each other well, chytil can get possession and skate it free, dump and chase it down. once on the wall deep him and kakko could eat teams alive. could also see him as a monster shutdown c in time. not a guy in the league he can't skate with and won't be many in the near future who can out muscle him. put kreider and a bigger body in the mold of a goodrow around him or a speedy pest resembling hagelin and you have a nightmare of a line for teams top players to line up against every shift. and if a group like that is your 3rd line youre probably not in bad shape

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I
the issue with strome is twofold - both strength on the puck/defending and footspeed. i have a vey hard time seeing him here opening night. i'm on the record as wanting to move him - which does kinda suck. he found himself here, he seems like a great guy, he wants it, but to me he doesn't have a home esp under gallant. he took panarin out of tight games last year because he couldn't win puck battles in the zone or support the d enough to create turnovers low and give them an outlet / have the speed to create a coordinated breakout up ice. his line in particular was a shooting gallery against the isles or any good team that was clamping down on us in the neutral zone / eliminating the up and down play we thrived in. he's not a guy that works in the bottom 6, just doesn't have the game even if he embraced it. could you imagine him trying to lock down barzal or backstrom? he'd get abused. you have to move him, unfortunately i don't think his value would return anything that we care for individually. if i'm drury i don't waste much time on eichel unless the cost is significantly less than whats been out there - and from a buff perspective i don't see thy it would be. i kick the tires with teams that might be looking for some fresh faces - what immediately comes to mind are malkin in pitt or atkinson in cbus - no idea to what extent theres availability...but two teams that may wanna reset a bit so why not see. sure theres others out there that could fit - point for me is pitt is at a crossroads. crosby is still elite, they have some pieces, but they need to work fast to give him one more shot while also keeping an eye towards life after him. malkins been hurt a lot, hasnt produced, going into his last year...maybe a roster center in strome and a krav or barron or jones / 1st and the cap space gets it done = while we get a still elite c without long term commitment who could rejuvenate / flourish under the msg lights in a big way, esp w/ panarin and igor and maybe buch/krav if retained. cup pedigree too. or an atkinson, who has speed to burn, has played w/ panarin, reasonable cap hit...maybe cbus would move him. not married to either as THE answer, but think both / that type of trade makes way more sense now and long term than jack. right now i wouldn't even entertain the thought of moving laf/kakko/nils/fox/chytil, and in almost no scenario miller/kravtsov.

as for chytil, in the right system / w the right linemates maybe he's a 2c. i don't see it, he's got blinders on coming through the zone with the puck and although he has decent hands and a very nice shot, he has a seizure going one on one w/ guys, although it hasn't deterred him from trying. but his hockey sense off the puck is solid, he works hard, he's a huge kid and still filling out, a natural c, can absolutely fly, is willing to get physical on the forecheck and defensively, is pretty strong on the puck ... he's a keeper to me. maybe a 2nd line emerges around him that has that identity, i could see him and kakko being a duo that compliment each other well, chytil can get possession and skate it free, dump and chase it down. once on the wall deep him and kakko could eat teams alive. could also see him as a monster shutdown c in time. not a guy in the league he can't skate with and won't be many in the near future who can out muscle him. put kreider and a bigger body in the mold of a goodrow around him or a speedy pest resembling hagelin and you have a nightmare of a line for teams top players to line up against every shift. and if a group like that is your 3rd line youre probably not in bad shape

I took the time to come back to this and read it. I really did. And I agree, which is most important.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Remember the local Mitsubishi dealers in the Tri-State holding "Galant-ahons" to move their Galant sedans off their lots? Those lasted two weeks at most. This Gallant-athon will be six months + postseason.

Reactions: haveandare

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
A quarter of this board doesn't think Chytil is a center even though he's played there his entire pro career so there is that too.

Strome has put up big numbers at center the last 2.5 years and all I hear is that he’s not a center and needs to be replaced. To me, jury is out on whether Chytil is a center. I personally feel that he’s a better fit as a winger - just like Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad