News Article: Rangers, Girardi at Impasse in Contract Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Too many people apply the "can't hold onto them and lose them for nothing" logic like i universally applies to all teams. I don't believe it does.

Losing players for nothing is what small market teams can't afford to do because they can't afford to sign a replacement free agent or trade for a player with "too high" a salary to replace the player they let walk. The Rangers aren't in that boat. They can let Callahan walk if they want and seek a replacement in free agency or via trade over the summer. Of course, holding onto the player only matters if you think it makes a difference for the playoffs.

I think there are a lot of people here who have the attitude that "we're not winning the Cup this year, so trade Callahan for picks and prospects". I would rather see the Rangers make a smart acquisition (or two or three) to bolster the team for a playoff run and with that mindset, keeping Callahan becomes a greater benefit.

The Rangers need an on the fly rebuild of the farm right now. If they wait a few more years, it will be too bare to do it on the fly and we will need a full on rebuilding process for 7-8 years.

Trading Cally for youth could bring in some assets now that will help us when Nash, Staal and Lundqvist are gone.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That is great news.

It will be good when(if) it happens.

Don't want to lose two major pieces right before the playoffs and going into next year. Rangers real strength is Henrik and their D-corps. If they had enough forward pieces to match them they'd be a legit contender.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
At those terms it's hard to justify trading him barring a severe overpayment. Danny G is a warrior and if those numbers materialize, it will his second team-friendly contract. I think his value to our team at 5.5 is worth more than he could return in a trade as an upcoming UFA. I wish Cally would take a similar deal so we could sell off lesser assets and gear up for a run, but if they refuse to sign you have to look for young talent in a trade.

RonGreschner

Apr 9, 2007
Dan Girardi needs to go, he doesn't stick up for his teammates, look at the Carcillo and Gaborik incident. time to deal him?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Dan Girardi needs to go, he doesn't stick up for his teammates, look at the Carcillo and Gaborik incident. time to deal him?

Yes, definitely trade him for a random incident that happened 3 years ago. Completely outweighs everything else that he brings to the game of hockey.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
6 years @ 5.5 is 1 more year than I'd want, and about 500k more than I want.

Considering what it takes to keep a guy, that's not terrible....i guess.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Sign him for those terms.

He's our version of Adam Foote. He'll be fine for a while. He'll only be 35 at end of contract.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Love it, please get this done Slats! And someone better hypnotize Bartlett and convince him that cally should sign 6 years at 6 mill, and I'll be a happy camper.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sign him for those terms.

He's our version of Adam Foote. He'll be fine for a while. He'll only be 35 at end of contract.

Brooks reported the same figures but Girardi isn't in a rush to agree to them. Don Meehan proposed those numbers in November. It took the Rangers 3 months to come around.

The Post has learned the difference between the parties is minimal (at most), with the Blueshirts finally having closed in on Girardi’s original asking price of six years at approximately $5.5 million per that would be a slam-dunk get on the free-agent market.

But Girardi, who is believed to have first proposed this deal in November, has not indicated he’s willing now to sign at those terms. Perhaps the defenseman has changed his mind, or increased his price with the proximity to free agency.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/26/rangers-aim-to-keep-focus-with-key-players-on-block/

Girardi can get more in free agency. He will be 36 at the end of a 6 year contract. He turns 30 in April.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Brooks reported the same figures but Girardi isn't in a rush to agree to them. Don Meehan proposed those numbers in November. It took the Rangers 3 months to come around.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/26/rangers-aim-to-keep-focus-with-key-players-on-block/

Girardi can get more in free agency. He will be 36 at the end of a 6 year contract. He turns 30 in April.

It would hurt right now but Vatanen and etem us a good package if it comes down to a deal happening. If he really wants to stay it sounds like money is close

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
If we can sign G to that contract, it's a good one.

It seems he wants to try to get as much as he can from the Rangers. Nothing wrong with that. If they feel they are not comfortable signing him to G's new terms, you have to trade him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

We'd all love him at 5 years/$5M per. If he were to hit the open market, though, he'd probably get closer to 6Y/$6.5M, if not more. If you can get him for the terms rumored, you have to do it.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

You take Girardi at that deal everyday of the week.

He would be accepting a hometown discount vs hitting the market.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Girardi absolutely gets $6+ on the open market. Anything less and he's taking a hometown discount. Lock him up.

shon

Mar 21, 2007

Really get over it .
Don' t give him credit for sacrificing his body for the last 7 years and only missing like 3-4 games

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Girardi @ 5.5 is completely fine with me and makes up with the harsher 6 year aspect of the deal. I'm also completely fine with sign and trading Girardi for Vatanen+, depending on the +. Ducks system is loaded, would grab whatever I can from them.

The only thing we can't afford is to be inactive with Girardi. Either sign him or trade him, just gotta get something done. Also, frontload the contract if possible, would make moving him later easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad