News Article: Rangers, Girardi at Impasse in Contract Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I understand the *VALUE* of that is great, but I just don't see the need in moving someone we KNOW is a top pairing defenseman who has yet to turn 30 and is not asking for an outlandish contract by any means.

I don't believe in weakening our team in a year where there are 2 top teams in the East and then everyone else. Its wide open, we have a good team, we can make a run.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Vatanen, Smith-Pelly, 1st.

Why DSP? His skillset is unique and different than anything the Rangers have in their system. He could potentially become another Graves.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Maybe if Fire Sather watched the Olympics he would see how good Vatanen is :laugh:

Vatanen and Etem would be a gold mine of a return. Not happening. To be honest, I wouldn't need that big of a + coming back on top of Vatanen. Emerging young d-man on an ELC, cost controllable for the next 5 or so years? Yes please.

Punxrocknyc19*

Vatanen, Smith-Pelly, 1st.

Why DSP? His skillset is unique and different than anything the Rangers have in their system. He could potentially become another Graves.

switch Pelly 20 goals 31 pts 40 games in AHL with C Rickard Rakell 12 goals 33 pts in 39 games in AHL.. Rangers need depth at center..

i do like Pelly as a player but i feel Rakell has more upside.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
switch Pelly 20 goals 31 pts 40 games in AHL with C Rickard Rakell 12 goals 33 pts in 39 games in AHL.. Rangers need depth at center..

i do like Pelly as a player but i feel Rakell has more upside.

He does but I feel like Pelly would be more beneficial to the Rangers immediately. They'd have three power forwards (four if you count Pouliot :laugh:) who can all skate and would be absolutely impossible to control in front of the net.

He might only turn into one of those Battaglia/LeClerc players from the early 2000s (20 G/20 A second/third line tweeners) or he might be more like a Marcus Johansen or at best, Adam Graves.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I personally have no faith in Etem putting it together at the NHL level. His hockey sense makes Kreider look like Adam Oates.

However, Vatanen is awesome. I'm not a huge fan of undersized dmen but you can certainly carry one. He could easily step in and be a Torey Krug like addition. I underrated him in the past, but Bluenote, BRF, and the Olympics made me a believer.

However, I really hope they just get a deal done with Girardi. His demands are reasonable and I think it could be a mistake to again have a TON of roster turnover.

If it came to it I would push for Vatanen, Kerdiles, and a pick. Big fan of Kerdiles.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Why are we comparing a current AHLer to Adam Graves.

I'm not here to fight or get into petty arguments or whatever, I post here to throw out ideas, that's it.

I said he could turn into a Graves type. Graves scored like twelve goals tops in a season before he came to NY. He didn't have an opportunity on a stacked team.

Smith-Pelly is an NHLer, they'd rather have him play 20 minutes a game than 9 minutes a night on a stacked Anaheim team. Who knew Nick Bonino would have a career year?

He has a very unique skill set, he can skate, he is strong, and he's played in the NHL. He still has options. It's pretty much the equivalent of the Mets with Syndergard.

Will he score 50 goals in a year? Probably not. Will he turn into a 20 goal scorer and be a PP threat for the next 7 years? Perhaps.

AHB*

I don't do it for Vatanen, I don't do it for Vatanen and Etem, I don't do it for Vatanen, Etem and a 1st.

Prospects way too overrated around here. I'll keep the known top 2 defenseman. Sign him.

Wait, what did i just read?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm not here to fight or get into petty arguments or whatever, I post here to throw out ideas, that's it.

I said he could turn into a Graves type. Graves scored like twelve goals tops in a season before he came to NY. He didn't have an opportunity on a stacked team.

Smith-Pelly is an NHLer, they'd rather have him play 20 minutes a game than 9 minutes a night on a stacked Anaheim team. Who knew Nick Bonino would have a career year?

He has a very unique skill set, he can skate, he is strong, and he's played in the NHL. He still has options. It's pretty much the equivalent of the Mets with Syndergard.

Will he score 50 goals in a year? Probably not. Will he turn into a 20 goal scorer and be a PP threat for the next 7 years? Perhaps.

It isn't you, it isn't anyone. You just happened to be the last one that I saw hype up a prospect.

I just believe in what I know. I know Girardi is a top pairing defenseman and he has been a rock for us for a long time now.

I don't want to trade him and hope the prospects end up as good as him.

Hes not asking for an outragous deal, in fact I feel he could get even more than what he is asking.

The team won't be strapped for cap space. He can easily be paid.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Wait, what did i just read?

The NHL isn't a video game. We don't know how Vatanen is going to progress in his career. Hes a good young defenseman, woo-hoo. Girardi has done it for 6 + years now. Hes rock solid and theres no reason to trade him.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It isn't you, it isn't anyone. You just happened to be the last one that I saw hype up a prospect.

I just believe in what I know. I know Girardi is a top pairing defenseman and he has been a rock for us for a long time now.

I don't want to trade him and hope the prospects end up as good as him.

Hes not asking for an outragous deal, in fact I feel he could get even more than what he is asking.

The team won't be strapped for cap space. He can easily be paid.

I agree. Honestly, 6 years at $6 million is fair. I don't want to see him go, that's only a package I proposed.

I don't want to see Cally go either. If he can sign for $5.75 per that's good. But he won't.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Sami Vatenen has been more than a "future" all season. Emerson Etem is pretty much NHL ready. Ducks prospects are all very good, it would benefit us to acquire as much of their system as possible.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
some Ranger fans act like Girardi is easy to replace, because RHD who play every game for 20+ mins a game grow on trees.

Brock Sampson

Feb 23, 2014
Negotiation 101.

Girardi "demands" more years at more money. Sather "willing" less years at less money. Barring unreasonableness, they will eventually meet at Girardi's years with Sather's money or Sather's years with Girardi's money.

I'm okay with this tactic because it gives us a chance to see what other teams would actually offer for him.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don't do it for Vatanen, I don't do it for Vatanen and Etem, I don't do it for Vatanen, Etem and a 1st.

Prospects way too overrated around here. I'll keep the known top 2 defenseman. Sign him.

Well I honestly couldn't say No to that , Vatanen and etem will be good and a late first is icing on the cake

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sami Vatenen has been more than a "future" all season. Emerson Etem is pretty much NHL ready. Ducks prospects are all very good, it would benefit us to acquire as much of their system as possible.

Yup. Young players that can step in right away. Exactly what they should be trading for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad